Tikka/Savage/CZ???

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Bagman

Tikka/Savage/CZ???

Post by Bagman »

Hi All,

I am after a bit of advice on rifle selection.

I will be buying my first centrefire rifle in the next couple of months(when the permit arrives) and I have decided on a 223Rem.
I will be using the rifle for bunnies, foxes, cats and the odd goat.
I also want to be able to hand load (when I get comfortable with the rifle) for target work at the range. For this reason I want something with a faster twist (1-8 or 1-9) to stablilise a heavier projectile.
I have heard good things about the Tikka T3 and have handled one which felt good.
The CZ 527 varmint has also caught my eye along with the savage 12FVSS.
What are your thoughts, opinons or experiences with these rifles?

Cheers
Bagman
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

personally id be going with the savage. it seems to do everything you want for a decent price. According to the CZ website it has a 1 in 12 twist so not for you. KJD will tell you to get the T3 cuz he LOVES them, but im not a fan of plastic guns myself.

so yeah.

GriMo says the 12FVSS

Pusty the plastic lover says the T3
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

Out of the options you listed, I would also go the savage. You'll love the .223 round, it'll do well for what you want of it.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Tikka, sure they have a smooth action....but imo, who cares!!! my Ruger's are smooth enough for me and they have been called rough by some. And the stocks look absolutely woeful. Its one of those things where you ether love the look.......or you dont!!!
Bagman

Post by Bagman »

GriMo, what is the link to the CZ site where it lists the twist rates?
In the review in the following link they mention a 1-9 twist - probably best to look at one first hand.
http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/cz_0728/

I am not a fan of the plastic T3's either but the Hunter model is all timber and IMO looks a hell of a lot better.
Lowndsie have you had any work done on your Rugers or are they 'out-of-the-box'?

Anyone know who in NSW has good deals on Savage?
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

I had both triggers worked which I've done on all my new rifles no matter what the make, but other than that, they are straight out of the box....

I recon the ruger's are a very under rated rifle and for the price you cant go wrong. Mine are both Vt's which are the varmint/target version that ruger brought out. They have free floated 26inch heavy barrels and two stage adjustable triggers. They're great for spotlighting and general varminting but not so good as a walkabout rifle....
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

CZ has too slower barrel twist according to an earlier post so cross that one off, the new tikkas will never get the following the older models will imo, that being said they are quality and have components from sako. Ultimately its hard to go past the savage, free floated, accutrigger, stainless/synthetic, heavy barrel with a 1:9 twist, cant go wrong with those heavier projectiles. Should group 60 grainers no problem with reasonable launch speeds.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=47

you have to select the .223 in the drop box. the .17 has a 1 in 9 but the .223 has a 1 in 12. as does the .204 i think
Bagman

Post by Bagman »

Thanks GriMo.
Looks like it's only the Kevlar Varmint that has the 1 in 9 and I am not real keen on the way that stock looks in the photo.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

LoL despite the fact that GriMo is playing funny buggers, I think you would be better to look at the savage or the ruger.

In saying that I dont see the need for heavy pills in the 223 as it hasnt got much of an engine room to launch them, Lowndsie has a 1in9 twist and shoots 50gn pill for varmints. I personally dont see the reason for the fast twists unless your target shooting..

Ruger does the VT in slow twist though. Savages are a nice rifle but I cant get by the fact that on the varmint rifle I have seen of theirs (which was a 22-250 and shot brilliantly and was a nice rifle) is that it didnt have a magazine floorplate which would prevent me from buying one as I believe its dangerous having to chamber every round to remove it from the mag. But thats just personal choice.

I can strongly suggest you look at the ruger mate. but out of your 3 I'd choose the 1in12 twist CZ over the others with savage coming a close second and tikkas a distant third.
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

In that case get the varmint kevlar from CZ that thing looks like a beast, if you miss the target they will be that scared of that big dark cannon they will clear out :lol:
Bagman

Post by Bagman »

I just discovered that Olin (Winchester) Australia do not import that model CZ - Bugger.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Bagman wrote:I just discovered that Olin (Winchester) Australia do not import that model CZ - Bugger.
Mate why do you want to shoot heavier pills? I really believe that unless your a long range target shooter that there is no need for the longer pills. 60gn pill should stablise in the 1 in 12 and shoot fine really IMO a 223's usefullness as a hunting round runs out around 60gns of projectile. I use 50's in my 222rem and they work fine out to 250m.
Bagman

Post by Bagman »

The reason I want to be able to shoot heavier pill is that in all liklihood I will be able to shoot more regularly at the range than I will be able to get out hunting.
I'd like to get into the long range target shooting however I will be restricted to a rifle with low recoil due to a recent neck/spinal injury, hence the 223 over the 308.

I am just after as much info and advice before I spend my $$.

cheers
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Bagman wrote:The reason I want to be able to shoot heavier pill is that in all liklihood I will be able to shoot more regularly at the range than I will be able to get out hunting.
I'd like to get into the long range target shooting however I will be restricted to a rifle with low recoil due to a recent neck/spinal injury, hence the 223 over the 308.

I am just after as much info and advice before I spend my $$.

cheers
Ok No worries mate! In that case I suggest the Ruger and then the Savage. I have seen both brands of rifle in action and they shoot as well as each other. The ruger will need a trigger job but thats it if you get the VT the rest is done for you.
HTH!
Bagman

Post by Bagman »

I've taken your advice and had a look around at the Rugers. Quite impressed.
I've found a M77 Mk2 VT with fast twist barrel, they say it has been bedded and floated, only used for range work for $795.

I am waiting to hear back with more details.
Only difficulty is it is in Qld and I am in NSW.....