Savage Rimfire Model MkII F in 22LR

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Archfile
.17 HMR

Savage Rimfire Model MkII F in 22LR

Post by Archfile »

I'm looking at getting a really cheap 22LR for plinking, the savage
comes with the much praised Accutrigger and thus is appealing
HPGS has the stainless model listed at $450, I was wondering what
people think of the Savage rimfires? And can you think of a dealer
that will do me the blued/syn one for a good price and ship it to
my shit local dealer who will (didn't even ask) want $900 for one

I'm going to fit a cheapy (but not completely crap) 3-9 or 4-10x scope
on it and use it for a walking around plinking and rabbit rifle.

I don't own a 22rimfire and its about time I got one. Does the savage
come with grooves in the reciever for scope rings, or do i need to get
bases? I have some millet angleLoc rimfire rings that look nice, I was
hoping to use those.

-Arch
lamanna

Post by lamanna »

Have your tried some stores in Melbourne? Might save you some shipping.

There is a guy here who doesn't stock any items Winchester import(ie. CZ), something about the gun store having to take responsibility for firearm mishaps rather than Winchester. Anyway, he showed me some Savage rifles because that's pretty much all he sells .22s in, I'm pretty sure he was selling them around the $450 mark and that was for the synthetic/ss so the synthetic/blue should be even cheaper. I can't tell you if they need a base or not but I seem to remember him saying something about needed more than just rings for a scope.

Here are his details, hopefully he can help.

McDonald's Guns
327 Barkly St Footscray VIC 3011
ph: (03) 9687 1680
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

thanks, i'll give him a call tomorrow...

Does anyone else have any suggestions for a cheap 22 bolt action
rifle? And does anyone know if the Savage MkII needs bases or
will mount rings right to the reciever?

-Arch
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Arch,
Personally I'd look at a Marlin as they are the same rifle and might be a bit cheaper ... but the Accu-Trigger might swing it because of the cost to replace a Marlin trigger. Both Marlin and Savage have an abominable (in my opinion) magazine system ... its loose, it rattles and on the rimfire forums is a known source of concern. As it was on a marlin Papoose i was forced to hand back.
Likewise ... both Marlin and Savage have been hit and miss with the alignment of the receiver mounting holes.
A second-hand Brno is a good investment ... almost guaranteed to get your money back if you ever sell it.
Cheers...
Con
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

Archfile,

I own a Savage MKII HV.22, it was originally a laminated stock, but was a bit small for me. I am unsure of the plastic stocks dimensions, though it may pay to check that out.
I have had no probs with the magazine, but the extractor claw gives me grief from time to time :x , it seems to lose it's tension after awhile and along with a wax build up likes to not extract occasionally. Easy fixed though, just clean the wax out and rebend the extractor :D

I adjusted my trigger using the method shown on rimfire central and is nice and crisp, from the factory it was a shocker :!: I don't think mine has the accutrigger though :?

I am pleased with how it shoots and usually gives the stock brunos a hiding in BR30, sometimes when I get lucky a custom one as well :lol: Though I agree with Con, the bruno will hold value pretty well if you want to sell.....it's just that I would never sell my Savage :lol:

You will need Weaver bases and rings to suit it. I think the alloy bases are about $12 and steel ones around $20. The rings are a bit pricier than the cheapy tip off types, but are a hell of a lot more reliable. You can get a heap of different brands at different heights as well. I have no probs with hole alignment :? Sorry Con but mine are perfect...maybe I got a good one....

KY