TRADE IN MY 22 FOR 17HMR OR GET NEW SCOPE

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I held the Marlin, its cheap but it feels cheap, the magazine even rattles, I agreed exactly with the review Keith did on the main site.

I think I picked right scope too, fixed 10 power. If you are ordering from the opticzone let me know so I can stick something in your package.

If you hold a Marlin and a CZ you will layby the CZ if you cant afford it.

If you want a varmint model then my vote would be the Savage thumbhole. Seen them advertised less than $800
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

Yeah i have been lookin around , i do like the looks of the savage thumb hole model , but i also like the look of the fluted barrel marlin !!! only been lookin on the net ! hoping to get out to a cople of gun shops on monday ! and see , i like the brnos too !, but want stainless timber !!!! so it don't leave me many options !!! savage , marlin ,kimber ,and most of the reveiws i have read say the marlin a better shooter ? , just a bit boring in trigger ,with feeding issuses ,but also seen feed issues with brnos ,and read the same with savages !!!
Scope is coming off my vanguard stainless timber ,300 wsm , i don't like the calibre ,so i think it prime time to get rid of it , what i have read is alot of people are putting 3-9 or 4-10 type of scopes or fixed 6/8 or 10 power scopes ,think i won't be lett down with a 2.5-8 X 36 vxIII ,
Still open to any ideas ??
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

whats wrong with the 300? Now having used it I can say i love mine
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

NOTHING wrong with the 300 wsm , me personaly just don't like it , i use it for samber , but i feel its just a bit to fast and recoil heavy for the type of country i hunt , (i like the steep, thick stuff) for that type of animal , shoots at 100 metres , i use to use a .375 H&H , and liked that but ammo cost too much for any fun at the range , thinking on getting a 35 whelan for the deer ,hound crews swear by them ,
So all in all it real is just a personal thing !!
Andree
GIJ
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by GIJ »

I've got a CZ Classic, only because I would still be waiting for a lefty savage. I don't regret it though.

As a result I've got a cheap gold crown 3-9x42 on top, but I haven't had any probs so far (except a bit unclear under lights in an indoor range.)

If I don't look through a Leupy I'll be fine and if you go savage/marlin don't compare with a CZ and you'll always be smiling.
alpal
.17 HMR

Post by alpal »

Hairbear, you sure kimber make a 17hmr? never heard of one but would buy one as quick as if they are available. Their .22 timber/stainless is one very sweet baby in .22 and extremely accurate as well. (.4" @50yds i believe guaranteed for 5 shot group)
Regards Alpal
stewiemc
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 22/250

Post by stewiemc »

Haven't heard anyone mention a Ruger.
Had a feel of one today as well as a Savage & CZ and thought the Ruger OK.
Maybe they don't shoot well?
Anyone with practical experience?
I'm also thinking of a 17HMR
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

I like Ruger rimfires, havent seen one in the flesh for a while.

Have fond memories of my 10/22 :cry:
Nick S

Post by Nick S »

I like the 10 shot rotary mags that don't project below the stock line.
Haven't heard much about the ruger 17s, sorry.
woob614271
17Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 17Rem, 22.250AI, 308

Post by woob614271 »

My 10/22 was lightened, floated barrel (a piece of angle screwed to the back of the action, then bedded, and the barrel band scrapped) then fitted with a Lyman peep sight; 50 meters around the 1" mark off a post rest with RWS HV HPs; gee I miss that thing...
RayG
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 375H&H

Post by RayG »

A bit more info on Ruger they make a 77/ .17Mach2 in a silver metal finish (not stainless) with a Grey/black Laminate stock 10 Shot Rotary mag. nice little gun. Kimber also do a .17Mach2 (4 Models based on their .22 range)
best two I reckon are the SVT and Pro Varmint heavy barrel both stainless steel/ Grey with laminate stocks ( Both makers only list rifles in the .17Mach2 Cal no MHR,s) wonder why they didn,t bother with the MHR? :roll:
Weatherby do a .17HMR only based on their .22 guns probably very pricy tho! no Winchesters listed in.17,Rossi make a break action single shot .17HMR Blued & stainless (YUK!) thats about it.
stewiemc
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 22/250

Post by stewiemc »

Woob -Yeah, I also had one of the 10/22's, lovely bit of gear. I used to have a spot near the Wymah ferry that I went to after work when daylight savings was on and had no problems going through a couple of packets of bullets - just kept chasing those rabbits, like shooting tracer bullets.
RayG - I'm sure Ruger does the HMR in stainless. However you've given me more to think about with the .17 Mach 2. It appears to have a similar trajectory out to 100yards (about all I'll use it for) I'm not sure on ammo prices. Would expect it to be cheaper than HMR?
RayG
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 375H&H

Post by RayG »

Yeah mate it is a bit cheaper,but some of the retailers can get a bit keen on the prices. But after using the Ruger .17 Mach 2 ( another friends gun) I was quite impressed as to what it can do out to 100 yards and maybe a little bit further depends on conditions. It definitely fills the gap between the .22 LR/.22 Magnum then on to the .17HMR. IMHO the .17 Mach2/HMR Rimmy combo really gives some performance at reasonable prices for them that don,t want to do the centrefire thing. There are some nice little guns for both
.17cartridges available if you want to find them. They are getting pretty popular in SA.
PIGG760

Post by PIGG760 »

I owned a 17HMR in Ruger with a sporting barrel, spent the time to bed and float the rifle, the biggest mistake I ever did was to sell it (needed the money to buy larger caliber rifle :( ) 3/15ths of an inch at 100mts and still under 1inch at 200mts was brilliant for foxes and rabbits, even some larger game (with a head shot)…. If I had my time again would have waited and taken the time to saved the money instead of selling that 17, that was 2 years ago and now looking at getting another exactly how my old Ruger was (maybe in heavy barrel though)…Lucky BASTED who ever got my old 17HMR….
But still kicking myself
:cry:
chris thomas
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: na

Post by chris thomas »

Ray i have used that Ruger .17 Mach 2 it's a nice rifle but limited i think. Might as well use a HMR . I have the small caliber bug and just picked up a mint Sako .17 Rem so now might sell my Tikka .17 or turn it into a .204 Ruger not sure. Might have to sell it as the collection has grown a little large again. My Theoben MFR CS800 .20 also will have to go.

Hows the silhouette swingers going ??

Regards

Chris