Mossberg Thunder Ranch MVP Patrol 5.56

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Mossberg Thunder Ranch MVP Patrol 5.56

Post by Camel »

Just my personal preference, I would take a Ruger over a Remington, I just like them better, not that Remingtons are a bad rifle, and they are streets ahead of the Mossberg. Rugers also come with their own factory mounts that are one of the best setups for a basic rifle.
What model Remington and what configurations ?
Again, don't take the gunshops word for it. What gunshop has he visited/enquired at, no need to mention names, just towns.
If you want, you can get my phone number and Ill give him a ring and talk him through the process, its just a PM away. :D

As to the bit about the "old boys club" :roll: earlier on, yeah some of us may be getting a bit long in the tooth, but that cuts a bit deep. :P
There is absolutely no need to feel put out by the stuff we sometimes post, mostly its just piss taking and banter between good mates, you can join in anytime you want, and if you have questions to ask, then do so, as seen from this topic, we are all too willing to help others part with their hard earned cash. :wink: :lol:
Dunderi
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22-250

Post by Dunderi »

It was the model down from the 700, so not sure. Factory scope.

Ive told him he should at least be looking at the 700. I'm trying to get better details from him, he's only just come off shift so it's hard.

The gunshop is in townsville.
The other one close to him is in Mt Isa, ive asked him to at least go in and see whats on offer!

I think half the problem is that he's been out with these hunting buddies a few times now, and takes their opinions very seriously

He's going to see a bloke in Isa tomorrow that is ex-military and a gunsmith of some renown, to get his opinion. (Why he couldn't do this before he said yes??)
Says the bloke can hit a pinhead at 1300 yards on the range just for fun, don't know if thats a fishing tale or not!

Shaun did seem concerned about spending the extra dollars, but I would rather he spends the cash now on something he likes and will keep, than some POS he didn't want, doesn't like, and probably can't sell on easily!

I'll keep you in mind Camel, thank you.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

You said he wanted no fuss plug and play. That had Tikka written all over it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

Dunderi wrote:It was the model down from the 700, so not sure. Factory scope.

Ive told him he should at least be looking at the 700
I suspect that the rifle he paid for was a Remington 783, which is budget end model. Equivalent models from other manufacturers are the Ruger American, Savage Axis and Winchester XPR.

I originally thought (and I think others here did too) that the shop was trying to say that the Mossberg is a better rifle than the M700. The Mossie may well be better than the M783 - I don't have any familiarity or experience with either.

If the main objective with the rifle is to bomb up on pigs or smack some targets at the range then the budget models may well be fine. Personally I would go for a M700, Win70, Ruger M77, Tikka T3 or Savage 110 before one of the budget models, even if I had to go second hand.

As Trev said, if you want plug and play accuracy in a rifle that is tough as nails it is very hard to go past a Tikka.

Marcus
matang
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by matang »

trevort wrote:You said he wanted no fuss plug and play. That had Tikka written all over it

I agree with what he said
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

There are a lot of new Tikka T3's golng cheap as they clear stock for the T3x.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

I would definitely opt for the T3
Dunderi
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22-250

Post by Dunderi »

Well after talking to him about the Tikka, he went to see the guru gunsmith today.

The bloke said to get the Remington 700, and that he'd help him work out any kinks and factory flaws with it.

So we've kind of come a circle I guess. He's happy he's getting a remington. I'm glad it's something I've heard of. And even if its not the Tikka it should be good to start :)

Shaun is trying to join up to the forum he said (I reckon you blokes would be good for him) and is awaiting admin approval.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
223 fanboy
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by 223 fanboy »

Dunderi wrote:Shaun is trying to join up to the forum he said (I reckon you blokes would be good for him) and is awaiting admin approval.
Cool.

223 is a good first centrefire. Let him know it's worth saving his used cartridges. He'll either get the reloading bug, or sell them on the forum.

Have either of you got a 22 rimfire yet? Great fun, cheap to shoot (short range only).
That can be next CHristmass/Birthday/whatever.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Hope to see Shaun here soon.

.223 Rem is a good choice despite what some others here may say :twisted:

Tell him to keep his brass. If he decides not to reload I'm sure some of us will happily take the brass off his hands...

I also suggest he take a look at the Ruger M77 actioned rifles. Prices to suit all pockets and they shoot pretty damn well.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Americans are exceedingly patriotic and anything made in America is automatically 50% better so when an American reviewer said "first thing to do with an sps is get rid of the crap stock' and in another us forum a respected member called Remington cookie cutter rifles in a thread lamenting to drop in quality, I would still say buy a tikka. I watched my 12 year old step son make the loads with the cheapest pills I could find and let him do the test firing and got saddened by the small groups rivalling my expensive guns. My Remington is my favourite rifle but I spent a shitload for a smith to make it that way.

Out of the box factory. He's mad if he doesn't buy the tikka

Keachie
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Keachie »

Hey guys finally got on,
Just letting you guy know I went with the remington 700 sps in the end

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

have you replaced the crap stock yet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ohh, and welcome to the madhouse!
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Good onya fella, bloody admin on here seem to have gone on holidays for a fair while now, griMo cant even answer his birthday call, slack bastard. :roll: :stir:

Glad you got your rifle sorted out, nothing flash about them, just a good basic run of the mill that should keep you happy.

Welcome along, and don't be afraid to join in :D
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

Welcome aboard Keachie. As you can see, no shortage of friendly folk here more than happy to advise you on how to spend your money! :D

Looking forward to hearing how the SPS shakes out.

Marcus