HMR?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
matang
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by matang »

Trevort .. I have given the Tac a Bit of thought phoned and talked to Shane a few weeks ago. By the time I get the barrel dies Im over half cost to a Kimber 204. Both the varmint and sporter cz have same trigger but I think you can the set trigger with varmint. Correct me if I wrong the varmint has a plastic mag the sporter metal. The sporter will shoot as good as varmint in a better ballanced looking rifle. Dont need a heavy barrel for such a small pill.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

if you buy a Kimber its still a factory rifle with a factory barrel (granted, a high end one) but if you put a match grade lilja on your CZ, well, its a match grade!

i have a set of redding comp dies for my 223. I am guessing if I wanted to go Practical, i just drop in a different bushing to the neck die, seater still works fine and a new body die is about $30. Might not even need a new one, it doesnt touch the neck, just the shoulder.

You could get the same die set with 2 bushings and it would give you great 223 ammo and 20pract from one die set!

Am I tempting you yet!
matang
.204 Ruger

Post by matang »

You tempted me a month a go when you suggested to turn the cz into Tac or prac. I woudnt mind shooting 20 cal 32grainers out of it just cant bring myself to get rid of a barrel that shoots 40 vmaxs so well. Will get shane to take 5ml of bolt to mount a 4-14x40 vxIII on to make it better ballanced when shooting off hand. Currently has a 7x50 meopta on it. Wish it didnt shoot so good to make it an easy decision. Need to shoot a 204 cal to see if that much better than a 223 or its just hype :?:
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

I think the 39 or 40 gn projies with the higher BC are were the 204 shines. Out a bit the higher bc gives those 2 more velocity than the 32 who starts to slow down faster. In my opinion the only advantage of the 204 is the flatter trajectory making it a better long range option than the 223. I believe you get the best advantage of this with the 39 or 40 projies.

If you read my range report and hunt report with the 223 you will see that I am now not so dismissive of its capabilities. A good 223 will be as accurate as a good 204. A good experienced 223 shooter (like Knackers) will not be outdone by someone like me with a 204. The advantage the 204 offers is it zeros around 275m if sighted in an inch high at 100. My 223 an inch high at 100 is 1 1/2 inch low at 200. If you want to be lazy you dont need to learn holdover with a 204, just point and shoot.

yes it would be hard to justify pulling off a barrel that shoots well (all CZ 527s seem to) the only excuse you can give is if your Tikka shoots as well, you may not need 2 223s. I know you would easily sell the barrel to defray your costs. I will most likey rebarrel to 20 tac or prac but i think I will shoot it as a 223 for quite some time first.
matang
.204 Ruger

Post by matang »

Have read most of your posts as I have checked Aus Varmint sight every night for 12 months, have also seen you on a few other forums. Just dont post much. Will have to post a few pics. Can you still see the hits with 39or49 grainers as dont see I will gain much between a 39 grain 20 cal and a 40 grain 224 cal.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

G'day Trev, I spoke to my mate last night and he said that he will part with it (CZ American .22WMR) he said the rifle only for $600, wants to keep the scope for a .22.
I PM you his phone number, he lives at Tallarook,so yuo could give it a test run if you like.
BTW shane has done a trigger job on it about 12 months ago, the trigger is sweet. :wink:
tikka
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: spud gun!!!

Post by tikka »

That rifle sounds good Knackers, i bought a marlin .22wmr on wednesday but i really wanted the C.Z. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Cheers

Geoff
crowbuster

Post by crowbuster »

Have read most of your posts as I have checked Aus Varmint sight every night for 12 months, have also seen you on a few other forums.
Sounds like love to me...... :P

I have a 17 hmr CZ varmint Trev & I reckon you can't go past the CZ for value for $. Not just my opinion either...

I believe the new models (453) have the fully adjustable & better quality trigger, but the previous 452 CZs can be tuned by a good gunsmith for little cost. Mine has been & has no creep and a 2lb trigger pull.

CB
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

matang wrote:. dont see I will gain much between a 39 grain 20 cal and a 40 grain 224 cal.

The advantage the 204 offers is it zeros around 275m if sighted in an inch high at 100. My 223 an inch high at 100 is 1 1/2 inch low at 200. If you want to be lazy you dont need to learn holdover with a 204, just point and shoot.
a 40gn 223 projie will have more wind drift and shed its velocity faster

I had a 20 power top line scope and I could see all the action on 12 easy. I am sure my next 204 will let me see the action on higher magnification as it will be real heavy 8)
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Knackers, spoke to Shane about a rebarrel job. No short cuts, he would recommend a match grade barrel like he would put on a centrefire for the same price. That would be a way too expensive way to get an HMR.

I got the trifecta on the first race yesterday (only a 50ct unit) but that means I just gave the TAB back their own money for the rest of the day and my stake is still in my wallet :shock:

As I cant advertise my little lever 22 i am going to trade it in when I go to ballarat on Wed and get the CZ sporter.

Nearly bought 17HMRs Savage, that would be a good buy for someone wanting a varmint weight model and i can tell you he seems like an honest bloke.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

well, its definetely happening, just ordered a fixed 10 power scope
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Im very very tempted to get one of those sweet 17 scopes that are made for the 17hmr. Cheap as chips on ebay. I have a 3-9x40 olivon tracker on it which is really nice but the sweet 17's are one click to change your poi at different ranges.

Trev what rounds are you going to try through it? My experiences with ammo is that the 17gr federals work well, havent tried the hornadys as they are always selling before i can get them, the 20gr hornady xtp group but not as good as the fed vmax. The 17gr TNT spread more than a shotgun pattern. One thing i have noticed with the federals is I sort through them checking the necks for defects. Sometimes the brass cracks at the neck on them too. All the 20gr hornady xtp brass I have recovered have no cracks in them, making me think the hornady brass is better.

Food for thought
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Knackers, just looking thru shooter's journal, see CZ 17HMR barrels for sale at $249. Will have to check these out as they are already chambered and threaded, now if you could just screw it in a cz 22mag, 17 hmr barrel then its a cz quad!

Brad, I'll let the rifle tell me what ammo it likes
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

Can you scan or photo that ad for me and email it on over please? I've been looking at doing something with mine and didnt want to part with too much cash..

which issue is it in exactly and I'll see if i can find it if you can't send me an electronic copy.

cheers
Arch
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

october edition (the one Trouty is in) page 39.

Rebel gun works 07 33916744

"CZ 17hmr zkm452 barrels threaded and chambered white new"

now I dont know what they mean by "white" and are they interchangeable with Knackers mates rifle