Lightweight rifles?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Stevil
Favourite Cartridge: 260rem

Re: Lightweight rifles?

Post by Stevil »

' Adam comes across as someone who reads a lot but does not really consider the practical application due to lack of experience and why make things harder then they need to be '

Juzz you made my day with that quote :lol: :lol: :lol: but you couldnt be more wrong :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by JasonF »

What has happened to this forum? What is the go with the gutless unsigned posts slinging insults, deliberately aimed at picking fights? I love a good debate as much as anyone but this personal attack crap is getting really, really old. I have met some top people through this forum and am proud to call several of them mates, who I enjoy hunting, shooting and talking crap with.

The weird thing is that the whole Howa mini shitfight came up because a couple of people here expressed enthusiasm about the first proportionally scaled down small cartridge action to hit the Aussie market in a long time. It appears to be a useful option for the varmint chamberings that we all share an interest in. Maybe that enthusiasm rubbed some people up the wrong way, but to me it is great to see posts raving about new products and their possibilities.

Can we get back to debating the topic not attacking the poster?

On the original topic: with an 11 year old keen to sign up for her juniors permit next year, I am looking really hard at compact, lightweight, light-recoiling, affordable, accurate, easy-maintenance hunting rifles. I won't be putting a magnum length actioned T3 in her hands. To me the Ruger American compact is appealing as an option. The Howa with a cut down 3-shot magazine box is another.

Cheers, Jason.
juzz338
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by juzz338 »

Stevil wrote:' Adam comes across as someone who reads a lot but does not really consider the practical application due to lack of experience and why make things harder then they need to be '

Juzz you made my day with that quote :lol: :lol: :lol: but you couldnt be more wrong :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:
Are you really that thick?
Opinions are like arseholes everyone has 1 and that is my opinion of how he comes across. I did not say this was or was not true, I simply stated how he appears and comes across to me.
Please explain how i am wrong

Sorry Jason I do agree with most of what you said I am just interested to see Stevils answer
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

What's with the dissing of the T3 or T3x. Action may be one length, but it's not out of the question for a kid. Fantastic triggers, good detachable magazines, accurate on general, plus enough plastic to take the knocks, and sub 3kg from the box. Choices like 243Win, 260Rem, 7/08 and 308. Plus lefties are catered for.
Cheers...
Con
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag

Post by JasonF »

Con wrote:What's with the dissing of the T3 or T3x. Action may be one length, but it's not out of the question for a kid. Fantastic triggers, good detachable magazines, accurate on general, plus enough plastic to take the knocks, and sub 3kg from the box. Choices like 243Win, 260Rem, 7/08 and 308. Plus lefties are catered for.
Cheers...
Con
Nothing wrong with the T3, Con, I just prefer short actions for shorter cartridges, and even more so in a first centrefire for a junior.

I am on board with your cartridge selections. A 7-08 with lighter loads is looking very tempting, but perhaps as a second rifle once she gets used to the 223. A 63gn Sierra semi point will work just fine on undisturbed goats, smaller pigs and deer to begin with, and is cheap to plink gongs with to get plenty of trigger time.

Cheers, Jason.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Jeez Jason,
We must think alike, I was just going to suggest a T3 with 1:8" barrel in 223Rem for lots of fun shooting, then slip some 65gr Sierra into the magazine and a fearless kid will kill dinosaurs!

Years ago I knew a kid who kept knocking Sambar over with his Dad's 270Win. His Mum bought him a Browning in 7mmWSM, which whilst it kicked a bit more, he'd buy a box of ammo and kill 18+ deer. One day he went for a hunt, and forgot his ammo box on the kitchen table. Found 2 rounds in his backpack, so went hunting, and killed another Sambar.

Bloody kids! :lol:
Cheers...
Con
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag

Post by JasonF »

Sounds like he was well trained.
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

Early on mick_762 suggested a Cooper, and later on lowndsie said his daughter will be using a Cooper to start and probably won't look back.

I think common sense and good taste have prevailed :wink:
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

frakka wrote:Early on mick_762 suggested a Cooper, and later on lowndsie said his daughter will be using a Cooper to start and probably won't look back.

I think she would have to knock Mick_7,62 on the head with a shovel to manage to keep that one, I think its his flannelette rifle. :lol: :lol:
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Camel wrote:
frakka wrote:Early on mick_762 suggested a Cooper, and later on lowndsie said his daughter will be using a Cooper to start and probably won't look back.

I think she would have to knock Mick_7,62 on the head with a shovel to manage to keep that one, I think its his flannelette rifle. :lol: :lol:

Haha, she will need more than a bloody shovel.
But yes she will be using it :rifle:
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Con wrote:Jeez Jason,
We must think alike, I was just going to suggest a T3 with 1:8" barrel in 223Rem for lots of fun shooting, then slip some 65gr Sierra into the magazine and a fearless kid will kill dinosaurs!
Bloody kids! :lol
Cheers...
Con
How very very true
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

curan wrote:
Camel wrote:............snip...........Stevil, are you saying that you didn't have to do plenty of fine tuning with your Howa ? Must be a one off as every other one I have heard about needs a lot of work, same as most factory rifles. Cant really see the trigger being better than the ones on Zastavas, are they fully adjustable by the owner ? Most I have seen have been sent off to the trigger bloke on Ebay.........snip.........
Hi Camel. My Howa isn't a mini, but it ran fine straight from the box. Trigger adjusted down to about 3lb and works fine, but didn't want to go lower. I use a Timney at 8oz for competition though.

Can't comment on the Zasty, as I've never shot one.........

..... bugga, I forgot, I'm s'posed to be munching on popcorn! :lol:
Yep only thing I've ever done to my Howa's was get the trigger tuned and all mine sit in Boyds (not into plastic crap so I just buy the barreled actions only) - they all shoot fantastic for varmints etc.

I haven't bought a Howa Mini as yet but will in the near future - my mate bought one a while back and he's happy with it, 20 shots into a 20c piece size group with factory ammo from memory - can't complain about that sort of performance for the $$ they cost. Apparently giving the Trigger release a trim sorts this bumping the mag free issue so that's a dead set simple mod to do if you find it an issue.

I always work my triggers on all rifles I own cos they are usually not where I like them and most respond well to doing so (sadly the Sako never really got to where I wanted it) anyway that's someone elses problem now as I pissed it off and bought a Tikka 308 to replace it - hopefully that thing shoots fine or it too will be sent out the door! Thankfully the trigger isn't too bad in it once adjusted to it lightest but I will be changing the spring and doing a few other mods to it down the track to bring it up to the Howa's which are nice and light/crisp. The Tikklers crisp it just need to be a little lighter for my liking and a spring should see that sorted from my understanding which is good as it's a simple cheap mod to do.

I've got no interest in putting up with crap rifles because they have a "Great Rep" I don't care what brands stamped on the side of my firearms, they either shoot and work well or they get fucked off - that simple with me.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

What about a 243 down the track, recoils not to bad, can run the light and heavier projies to cover the varminting and pigs and deer etc. Plenty of them being used for that sort of think regularly. :D
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

I just went back and read the whole thread, I am still chuckling.

Hows these Grendel thingos going ? Any ammo available for them yet ? Have the owners sent their triggers off to get them adjusted ?

So many questions, so few answers.

Jase, did you end up finding a rifle for your daughter ?
dashooter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Wby Magnum's :)

Post by dashooter »

Was in at Tough Gear (Qbn) at lunch chasing some bits and bobs and remembered they had a Wetherby Mark V Lightweight for sale.
Got ole mate behind the counter to drag it out and have a squiz.
Timber stock in very good condition and yes quite light compared to my other Mark V's.
In .308 so not my cup of tea but when asked about price was told make an offer as its been there for a while and they are keen to move it. He said $1150 was on it but Usedguns says $1300.
If you haven't found a gun yet it could be worth a look.
Only a short drive to have another look for us locals and you could probably ring them to get it weighed.