Lightweight rifles?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Con
.308 Winchester

Re: Lightweight rifles?

Post by Con »

MISSED wrote:Lowndsie 7.62x39 in a Zastava
There's one in my LGS at $800.
Cheers...
Con
Stevil
Favourite Cartridge: 260rem

Post by Stevil »

Well Camel i had a 7.62x39 zastava and if you put 4 rounds in it, it wouldnt feed 150-180gr proj, it jammed.

Take a round out and back to 3 it was just bearable.

They arent a well finished rifle and heavier 30 cal proj just didnt work well at all.

By all means Im sure a 130gr would be better i never bothered.

The Grendels a real suprise packet and until Id actually fired one i didnt really believe the hype, bugger all recoil and performance not to disimilar to a 250 sav

And the Howa mini is in a diff class to the zastava as a finished product, game over
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Homer popcorn 1.jpg
Homer popcorn 1.jpg (8.57 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Stevil wrote:Well Camel i had a 7.62x39 zastava and if you put 4 rounds in it, it wouldnt feed 150-180gr proj, it jammed.

Take a round out and back to 3 it was just bearable.

They arent a well finished rifle and heavier 30 cal proj just didnt work well at all.

By all means Im sure a 130gr would be better i never bothered.

The Grendels a real suprise packet and until Id actually fired one i didnt really believe the hype, bugger all recoil and performance not to disimilar to a 250 sav

And the Howa mini is in a diff class to the zastava as a finished product, game over

Ahh I see, another who wants to justify the supposed failings by highlighting a supposed fault. :roll: of course it wouldn't feed those projectiles properly, the cartridge is not designed to do that, what did you expect. And yes, mine only feeds three shots reliably, that's all that will fit in the magazine without using a shoehorn. Use of tools within their design and limitations is something that should be common sense, some don't seem to think that.

I have never tried to compare the Zastava rifles to Howa, why would I, they are two totally different designs, as to which one is better, that would be up to the owners of them to decide, I like my Zasrtava actioned rifles because of several reasons, 1, they are relatively cheap, 2 they do an admirable job, and I spose 3, because they are mine.

As to being chambered in Grendal, whoopee, are they even available in Australia yet ? Can I walk in to a gunshop and fondle one, or even order one ? So you would recommend for Loundsies daughter a hard to get cartridge when there are a heap out there that are more readily available. :roll:

This is supposed to be about recommendations for a young teenage girl, not for someone who wants to run exotic, expensive and comparatively unavailable cartridges. Something that both you blokes seem to conveniently ignore.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

lowndsie wrote:Thanks for the info guys. I'm trying to find a centrefire for my 13 year old daughter.

It'll be for medium game, goats, pigs and deer etc in open to hilly country. Recoil would be an issue to but I hear you can load the 7-08 down quite a lot with trailboss etc until she gets used to it..
Just thinking about this again and the range of game your going to chase. Aside from recoil, there's also blast to consider, something that I'm personally more sensitive too than recoil.

If your considering a 260Rem or 7/08 ... then go a plain jane 308Win. A T3 Lite with another 2-4" of barrel removed is a relatively light gun if you don't overscope it ... say a light Leupold 6x36 for example. problem is the lighter the rifle, the more recoil is felt ... so a LimbSaver or any other soft squishy pad. I've shot plenty of reduced 308Win loads which depending on how much recoil you want to cut, uses either a 150gr FN or a 125gr FN pill infront of some AR2207. I've introduced both ladies and kids around 12-14 years of age to shooting via an 18.5" Ruger with the above loads ... no problem. You could also step down again to the likes of the 110gr Varmageddon or VMax , and ACP is working on an 85gr monolithic at the moment in 30cal.

If you went 260Rem or 7/08 ... your still utilising about the same projectile weight, so there's not that much difference in recoil. 6.5mm you'd probably run something in the 100-120gr weight, 7mm a 120gr pill? Basically a virtual over lap to the more common 308Win.

If the 308Win with 110-125gr is too much ... you only have the 243Win left with a 90-100gr pill for the pigs and deer. But I'd personally utilise my reloading mojo and put together some nice reduced loads with a 110gr or 125gr FN and rely on the fatter 30cal pill to help knock over game.
Cheers...
Con
PS: The reduced 150gr FN loads are currently ear-marked for a new to shooting youngster to roll a Sambar under light (farm control work) on the long weekend. Placed right, big deer wont know what hit them.
juzz338
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by juzz338 »

Both technique and as Chucky said in Adam, Sorry Andrews cut and paste effort not letting it get a running start on you make a huge difference to felt recoil and have the advantage of also having a positive effect on accuracy. Depending on your purchase time frame maybe a trip to a missathon where she can try many rifles in all shapes(that she does not need to fire) and calibres/cartridges/chamberings(that she can fire) could be on the cards. I am sure if people knew she was coming they would take the appropriate rifles and loads to give her a go and be happy to do so. As Andrew also mentioned in a non plagiarized post it would also give her a few more months of growth at a time of rapid growth.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

curan wrote:
Homer popcorn 1.jpg
+1
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

That was a bit Harsh THOD. :?
Adamjp you are
deadhorse3.gif
deadhorse3.gif (5.86 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
people can and quiet often do have a different opinion to you.
It does not make them or you wrong all it means is they have a different opinion.'
so
191097-Can-t-We-All-Just-Get-Along-_zpsorfo3bfl.jpg
191097-Can-t-We-All-Just-Get-Along-_zpsorfo3bfl.jpg (75.38 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
Other wise, I will, if this Pockle of POO continues
33681433-hand-in-silhouette-about-to-press-large-delete-button.jpg
33681433-hand-in-silhouette-about-to-press-large-delete-button.jpg (4.32 KiB) Viewed 1617 times

What do you think of that you Popcorn munchers
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

:D
Homer%20popcorn%201.jpg
Homer%20popcorn%201.jpg (8.57 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
Smee
Ethics Shooting Standards Moderator
Favourite Cartridge: big ones

Post by Smee »

Missed you are so wrong it was not Two Hump Obnoxious Dick that started this "Pockle Of Poo" whatever that means :?

I have spoken to him on the cell phone lots of times and he has spoken very highly of the Howa 1500 Mini rifle
Apparently he fondled one in a Gun shop out in Hicksville.He said the stock was crap and the plastic fantastic lunch box was a joke.
But the action was nice but did not fit the definition of a Mini action.Cutting 1/2" off of a action but leaving the diameter does not a mini ac tion make.
So it is a shorter "short" action.Every online review I have read says the same thing shit stock poor magazine but they are acurate.

Adam I have been informed by friends in the industry that the number of 6.5 Grendels that will be coming into Oz will be limited because the powers that be do not believe the cartridge will be a big seller and will only appeal to a small market segment.So that must make you special. :D
I would like to see the how that POS thet Stevel built even shoots a big hoorah and nothing to back up their substantial claims of how terrific it really was.Nothing not even an echo of a cricket.

I believe this is a Varminting/shooting forum not a pissing contest. Stevel put up or shut up show us how the thing shoot.s What have you usede it for,spotlighting,Varminting ,stalking or
jackoff.gif
jackoff.gif (8.26 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
over.Also I will have to let my mate Stevie know that his 7.62x39 is a POS and that all the pigs,goats and other things he has shot are just not possible with that pos..By the way he has had two kidney transplants and this as well as his naturally small build means he weighs 49Kilo ringing wet.
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Smee wrote: MEGA snip of the above. . . .

Holy crap - the MOST intelligent thing that ^^^ has ever typed.
I will now go and give myself an uppercut. . . . :?
Stevil

Post by Stevil »

Holy crap smee where did that post come from...

The Zastava are an average product that respond to alot of fine tuning, the stuff brought in 15yrs ago was finished to a much better level. Ive only owned 4 Zastava's so I really have no idea what Im taking about lol

The 7.62 doesnt really work very well in such a skinny action, the H mini doesnt have the feed issue due to the mag set up.

And smee the howa Mini I have in the gunsafe slotted nicely into the Zastava Mini Boyd thumbhole stock, just opened up the mag section a smidge, no offence but what are you smoking.

Trigger on the howa leaves the zastava for dead and Howa mini s shoot damn good so get over yaself cant be arsed responding to the rest of your waffle.

you clearly have an agenda, not sure what you ain of your post was ??
Last edited by Stevil on Fri May 27, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smee
Ethics Shooting Standards Moderator
Favourite Cartridge: big ones

Post by Smee »

So you cannot back up any of your waffle

Typical keyboard hero.

I do know all about Zastavas as I have read all of Adamjp`s and THOD`s posts about the ones they use.

So do not speak to me like I am one of your kids.
Stevil

Post by Stevil »

mate I reckon you need to lay off the cans :lol:
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

not only is the reel screaming, there is smoke pouring out of the drag and the hook is damn near bent

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: