New 22 Q

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Re: New 22 Q

Post by mick_762 »

Those Russian Winchester's that Raven is talking about have a bloody good reputation for accuracy with the heavy barrel model.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

mick_762 wrote:Those Russian Winchester's that Raven is talking about have a bloody good reputation for accuracy with the heavy barrel model.
I've not heard a negative comment from anyone that has shot mine. All very positive.

There's Toz's available in Australia again, a quick google will turn them up.

From memory, and before the exchange rate did it's most recent dance, the sporter can be had around $600. The heavy barrel version is about a $100 extra (a few years back). Probably cost a bit more now. Best bit is that they come with 4 magazines as standard.

Just googled... They come with a few extras now: threaded barrel and iron sights.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Hi Beau204,

The lads could have run a sweep on how long it would take me to chime in with my bias to savage rimfires!

I had a BVMK2 that at 50 yards would put 5 shots into 1/2" with Eley club, and tighter again with SK rifle match. CCI standards were just under 3/4". It was a good starting point for rimfire target shooting. I also seriously loved the accutrigger.

At the end of the day, you have to feel the rifle and decide for yourself. The posts on here have offered up plenty of good advice, and you have options.

cheers, curan.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Beau204
Favourite Cartridge: 204

Post by Beau204 »

There 249 at my local new, they did bring out a 16in barrel model but no one seems to have them, will go to the local tomorrow and see what sort of deal that can do on a savage
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Beau204 wrote:There 249 at my local new,they did bring out a 16in barrel model but no one seems to have them, will go to the local tomorrow and see what sort of deal that can do on a savage

You ever heard of an angle grinder, little 4 incher and thin stainless cut off discs work perfectly. :twisted:
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

mick_762 wrote:Too late Trev 8) :lol: :lol:
you pressed submit just before me
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Camel wrote:
Beau204 wrote:There 249 at my local new,they did bring out a 16in barrel model but no one seems to have them, will go to the local tomorrow and see what sort of deal that can do on a savage

You ever heard of an angle grinder, little 4 incher and thin stainless cut off discs work perfectly. :twisted:
Step away from the dremel!
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Camel wrote:
And no I do not own one mine starts with "W"
Wanna be ?? Wanker ?? Wally ?? :?

WISE
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by Sako 22-250 »

mick_762 wrote:Those Russian Winchester's that Raven is talking about have a bloody good reputation for accuracy with the heavy barrel model.
+1 :D
Great accuracy for the money
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

curan wrote:Hi Beau204,

The lads could have run a sweep on how long it would take me to chime in with my bias to savage rimfires!

I had a BVMK2 that at 50 yards would put 5 shots into 1/2" with Eley club, and tighter again with SK rifle match. CCI standards were just under 3/4". It was a good starting point for rimfire target shooting. I also seriously loved the accutrigger.

At the end of the day, you have to feel the rifle and decide for yourself. The posts on here have offered up plenty of good advice, and you have options.

cheers, curan.
Yep my oldest daughters 22 Savage Mk2 is like that, bloody accurate little bugger for sure (better than my Brno Mod 2) not that that matters to me as I use it for bunnies and it does a great job there. :D
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Beau204 wrote:There 249 at my local new, they did bring out a 16in barrel model but no one seems to have them, will go to the local tomorrow and see what sort of deal that can do on a savage
If you go for a savage, you'll probably find the action is a little tight initially. It smooths up nicely after a couple of hundred rounds. You may also find it doesn't like "greasy" ammo (heavy lube, like the RWS stuff). If it starts to spray on the greasy stuff, just give it a quick clean and go a dryer ammo, CCI standard or the like.

I'm sure you'll find an ammo that shoots really well at a good price.

Enjoy.

curan.
Beau204
Favourite Cartridge: 204

Post by Beau204 »

Decided in a ruger American in od green just to be one of the tacticool kids, well as it turns out I called every major gun shop here in Brisbane,Sydney,Melbourne,Adelaide, some shops laughed and said not a chance there's something like 700-1700 on back order! One shops told me I had more chance of finding rocking horse shit, so kept it up and cold called afew of the smaller stores and low and behold a bloke said "yeah mate got one here" you fuckin beaudy !!! Should arrive next week so if anyone would like some rocking horse shit I reckon I can find ya some.

Cheers