Tikka .308 almost complete

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Tikka .308 almost complete

Post by lowndsie »

It's finally getting there! Bell and Carlson stock, 5 (really 4) shot magazine, lighter trigger spring, Leupold mounts and rings and the Weaver scope.

I was after a semi lightweight do it all rifle, but mostly for use on pigs. I wanted something with plenty of punch for the bigger boars without going over board and the .308 was an easy choice as I already had dies etc.

I'll be swapping out the scope in a few weeks for a Swaro Z3 3-10x42. I figured if it was going to be a primary use rifle then the optics should be up there in quality.

I'm still in the process of finding a good load though. I was hoping it'd group the 165gr SST's but it wasn't to be. They probably averaged 2moa. Some match loads shot well under an inch so I know it's capable. I've some Speer Hot Cor's in 165gr to try next. There all loaded up and ready to go. Never tried the Hot Cor's before (other than on some Federal Factories in .270) so it'll be interesting to see.
Attachments
tikka 308.jpg
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Re: Tikka .308 almost complete

Post by Waldo »

Nice, did you see any difference in performance when you swapped out the stock (assume it was a syntho stock to start with)?
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

I never grouped it with the original stock mate. I dont like the tikka stocks. They work but I just can't get attached to them. On the other hand, I've always been a b and c fan so it was the first thing I did when I got the rifle. The bells have the recoil lug built into the bedding block so I'm assuming it's a better design from that point of view. Plus they feel so nice when you shoot them :)
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Coming along nicely Lowndsie. :D Have a look at the Hornady 150gn interlocks, one of the best hunting bullets for 308 in my overstated opinion. Ive been using Sierra 125gn pro hunters in mine, they knock pigs over quite emphatically, and they generally stay inside larger ones. Ive been thinking of going to 130 interlocks instead, only because they are generally cheaper plus not every one stocks the sierras as most think they are too light and are only a varmint bullet. Bzzzt wrong.
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

A few steps closer to finished. I discovered the magazine spring was the wrong way around so it now fits the full five rounds. I'm guessing someone on the assembly line was having an off day.

I've found a decent hunting load and sighted it in so it's all ready to go in an emergency. :D I still have a few loads I'd like to test in the coming months though.

And yes, she's now wearing the Swaro.

I managed to drill a fox at 195meters with my hunting load early this morning. The little bugger wouldn't stand still and kept leaping into the tussocks after the grasshoppers. I hit him a little too far back but of course with the 165gr Hot Cor from a .308... the result was instant.

The trigger is an absolute dream! With the YoDave spring, it's breaking at just over 800 grams and is extremely consistent. I'm use to that weight of trigger and I'm very comfortable with when it breaks so shooting it is a pleasure.

The stock does a nice job of reducing recoil. You still feel it though and after 50 odd rounds of load testing during a session, it does start to feel a little tender and takes a bit more concentration.

I'm loving the system with how it is and I don't want to change a thing on it. I'm actually thinking of selling my Remington .270 so I can buy another Tikka in .223 and set it up exactly the same...Then maybe another one in .243.... and 338. And then maybe I'll be happy. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Tikka2.jpg
Tikka3.jpg
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

Good to see its all coming together,

Which Swarovski is it, I know you got the Z3 but what magnification and rectical. I'm very interested in these now after your experience and positive comments.

Flip
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

3-10x42 with the 4A reticle mate. I'm really happy with it. Works great in the low light. I was using it this morning to spot bunnies hiding in the shade around the blackberry bushes. Unfortunately the Swaro has made it obvious that I need to upgrade my binos! :(

When I was load testing a few rifles I noticed how much the Swaro stands out. It's hard to explain but the colors are brighter and crisper. Even the white paper targets were "whiter" when looking through the Swaro and comparing to the others.
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

cheers I understand what you mean,I too can tell this is going to get expensive but will be worth it I'm sure. ive checked out the range of scopes and that #4 rectcle looks like it will be great under the spotlight i like the openness of it. if that makse any sence.

It great to get possitve results from equipment when you invest time and dollars in them.

great stuff I bet that fox didnt know what hit i.. bloody freight train size pills 8) . ripper

Flil
windknot

Post by windknot »

Nice outfit mate , the B & C looks a treat big step up on the facory stock thats for sure , what was the weaver you swapped out ? not happy with it or was it put on as an interim thing ?

Cheers
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

It was a 2-10x38 Weaver classic mate. They aren't a bad scope but I wanted a larger objective. I just figured it was going to be a "do it all" rifle so it might as well have some better glass on it.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Nice setup there Lowndsie, for a Tikka, anyway. :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

lowndsie what mod is the 270 and how much do you want for it
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

deye223 wrote:lowndsie what mod is the 270 and how much do you want for it
Not sure how much mate. I haven't put much thought into it yet. It's an SPS stainless, boyds stock, bedded, leupy mounts and rings, Timney trigger, would come with redding dies etc. Fired 115 rounds through it :)
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

lowndsie wrote:
deye223 wrote:lowndsie what mod is the 270 and how much do you want for it
Not sure how much mate. I haven't put much thought into it yet. It's an SPS stainless, boyds stock, bedded, leupy mounts and rings, Timney trigger, would come with redding dies etc. Fired 115 rounds through it :)
ok thats no good for me as i only need an old beater as i just want the action
big G
7mm08 Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 223 rem

Post by big G »

Work of art buddy.