when you feel like you made a mistake

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

when you feel like you made a mistake

Post by Jacko9 »

Doh!

As much as I love my custom cz with a skinny 23' barrel in 223, I feel like I should of done a 20' fatter 20-222 instead!
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: when you feel like you made a mistake

Post by Camel »

Nah ne, nah ne, nah nah, told ya so. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I should have gone a little lighter on the barrel of my 17/222, but Im not going to loose sleep over it. :D
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

Yeah i just wanted an easy one, knowing me in a few months itll have a new barrel
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Just shoot it and enjoy it, there's no flies on the 223
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

kjd wrote:Just shoot it and enjoy it, there's no flies on the 223
Or for more bang for your Buck a 222 will do everything a 22free will only betterer.

I went a sporter weight on my 20 VT but wish it was heavier sometimes
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Should have asked how its shooting Jacko, as Keith said, theres no flies on a good 223 A little hint mate, don't rebarrel, buy another rifle :mrburns:
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

MISSED wrote:
Or for more bang for your Buck a 222 will do everything a 22free will only betterer.

Why do you want a heaver barrel missed?
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Well I have no real definite reason Scott just that same nagging thought of "What If "
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

MISSED wrote:Well I have no real definite reason Scott just that same nagging thought of "What If "
The good ol unknown Missed, do you reckon the results would be much diff between the sporter and varmint versions?
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Jacko its not a mistake its called a character building experience :) ,as far as barrel profiles go,more fatterer don't always equal more betterer.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

Jacko I swear you change you rifles more than you change ya socks! :lol: seems like you get em, play with em for a bit then need the next latest and greatest thing going round. :lol:

Just stick to what ya got and learn how to shoot the bastard, they all kill shit son, just depends on the operator as to how well. :wink:
223 fanboy
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by 223 fanboy »

Jacko9 wrote:Doh!

As much as I love my custom cz with a skinny 23' barrel in 223, I feel like I should of done a 20' fatter 20-222 instead!
Jacko9 wrote:Yeah i just wanted an easy one, knowing me in a few months itll have a new barrel
Like everyone's saying, just get stuck in with the 223 for now. Then go on the lookout for another lefty CZ action. Put a 20-222, 20-223 or, (God forbid), a 204 barrel on the new action.

You'll still have the 223 in your hands while the barrel work is being done. AND you end up with 2 rifles instead of just one. :D
(You've probably already got others, but you know what I mean)
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

Maybe a switch barrel type setup might be the go Jacko? :D
mn1863
.222 Remington

Post by mn1863 »

Having the experience of making a few mistakes with custom rifles builds. Don't worry there is plenty of opportunity to fix it on the next build, and then the next one......takes along time.

Just buy another cz in 204, it will be quicker and cheaper in the long run too.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

Sorry for the late reply fellas, haven't had enough service to send in a reply, been flat out on the rice....

Keith, that is what should happen :lol:
MISSED wrote:

I don't think I'd go a 22 cal again, I think I would either get a .20 or a 6mm. I think a cz 527 varmint profile chambered in 20-222 or 20 vartarg would be a pretty sweet little rifle. The 223 is just a bit much to be honest. I don't need a hell of a lot more than a 17 hmr for what I do, I just wanted a cf instead.
chris.tyne wrote:Jacko its not a mistake its called a character building experience :) ,as far as barrel profiles go,more fatterer don't always equal more betterer.
That's it mate, I will get there one day I reckon, well aware mate, the 527's are never a heavy rifle even in varmint configuration I reckon...
bigfellascott wrote:Jacko I swear you change you rifles more than you change ya socks! :lol: seems like you get em, play with em for a bit then need the next latest and greatest thing going round. :lol:

Just stick to what ya got and learn how to shoot the bastard, they all kill shit son, just depends on the operator as to how well. :wink:
Haha mate, I have brought 3 rifles in the last few years, still own 2 of them :wink: I just am very much a perfectionist mate, unless I like it, I kind of will never really be happy with it, ask my brothers what I am like with my car, tractor and fishing gear :lol:
223 fanboy wrote:

Jacko9 wrote:Yeah i just wanted an easy one, knowing me in a few months itll have a new barrel
Like everyone's saying, just get stuck in with the 223 for now. Then go on the lookout for another lefty CZ action. Put a 20-222, 20-223 or, (God forbid), a 204 barrel on the new action.

You'll still have the 223 in your hands while the barrel work is being done. AND you end up with 2 rifles instead of just one. :D
(You've probably already got others, but you know what I mean)
Thanks for the advice mate, I guess I just need a bit of pushing in the right direction, Guess that is why I put up the thread :lol:
bigfellascott wrote:Maybe a switch barrel type setup might be the go Jacko? :D
Thought about it previously mate, but I think I would just use one barrel for everything. I only need a handful of rifles for what I do, I have a 22 for rabbits and plinking, then whatever my cz 527 is made to be as my spotlighting rifle, then I have a 358-300 switchbarrel capable of anything from 6.5 upwards to .458 really.
mn1863 wrote:

Having the experience of making a few mistakes with custom rifles builds. Don't worry there is plenty of opportunity to fix it on the next build, and then the next one......takes along time.

Just buy another cz in 204, it will be quicker and cheaper in the long run too.
Thanks mate, It just makes it easier to find the right one next time....

Really, I just need to find a projectile to suit my needs and I will be fine I think fellas, any input there? It has a 23' barrel, 1-10 rate of twist.... Shoots rabbits, roos, foxes, the odd pig....