Marlin 925R

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Counter
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Marlin 925R

Post by Counter »

First up I just want to say - what a great forum. There's a wealth of information here those just starting out. ie me. Thanks everyone!

Just a question for Archfile (or anyone that has some input). I've read your 925R review and was wondering if you can elaborate on the comment about the "stock could be stronger". Do you mean that it is fragile and in danger of breaking, or just that it flexes a lot?

Is there any simple mods that would make it stiffer or after the barrel is floated would it not be so much of an issue?

Basically I'm looking for a cheap (but reasonable accuracy/quality) .22lr that will last for years taking the odd rabbit, target shooting, etc. I was thinking a synthetic stock, but not if it means it's super flexy or fragile.

Would I be better off with a timber stocked 925?

What model Savage were you meaning in the review? any idea what the price of the savage would be?

Has anyone had experience with the Stirling 14 rifles? man they are cheap - does the quality match the price? I haven't seen one up close.

I don't expect the world for my 350 odd dollars, but I'd like to get the best value for money I can. Sorry for all the questions straight up, but I figure if anyone knows, someone here will.

Cheers!
Archfile
.17 HMR

Re: Marlin 925R

Post by Archfile »

Counter wrote: Just a question for Archfile (or anyone that has some input). I've read your 925R review and was wondering if you can elaborate on the comment about the "stock could be stronger". Do you mean that it is fragile and in danger of breaking, or just that it flexes a lot?
The answer to that in my opinion is that the stock is rather flexible, as you can see from my post tho, accuracy was good, and didn't suffer from the cheap stock. I'd consider replacing it with a better stock if you were after more quality or a better finish. Then you wouldn't be looking at the savage/marlin pricerange.
Counter wrote: Is there any simple mods that would make it stiffer or after the barrel is floated would it not be so much of an issue?
I doubt that there is much that could be done practically to improve matters without significant effort, which again points to a replacement stock if its that important.
Counter wrote: Would I be better off with a timber stocked 925?
I don't think the wood one was much chop either, its a pretty poor bit of wood, its light and rather crap feeling.
Counter wrote: What model Savage were you meaning in the review? any idea what the price of the savage would be?
LGS quoted me 560 for the base model savage rimfire in stainless/synth and the same price for the blued one. In this price bracket, the marlin and savage are nice rifles, but they are no comparison to the CZ for example, but the cz is 2x the price.. I have both, and they both have a place.
Counter

Post by Counter »

Thanks Archfile. As you point out, I wouldn't want to be changing the stock on such a cheap rifle. I might have to see if I can have a look at one in the flesh.

The savage is a fair step up in price, but maybe I should take a look at it also.

I hear a lot of good things about the CZ, as you say, they aren't really in the same price bracket though.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Counter,

Welcome to the forum mate it is a pleasure to have you here.

In my opinion you would be far better off buying a secondhand BRNO or CZ rifle in that price range as they are a far superior rimfire rifle.
Id suggest if you cannot find a good one then to save a bit longer and get a new CZ I have one and absolutely love it it is one of the last guns I would get rid of. I have reviewed the marlin rimfires as well and they synthetic stocks and general operation of them leave a bad taste in my mouth. Sure they shoot and work but to me they just didn't give me that "I love this gun" factor. The magazines in the marlins are akward to change one handed and the bolt rattles whilst trying to be quiet. I would go a 40 year old Brno that is in good nick rather then a new Marlin.

There is a Brno copy getting around I cant remember its name but I would suspect that even a cheap asian knock off of a Brno would be more rewarding then a Marlin. Just my opinion mate! On the other hand Marlin lever guns are great!
fenring

Post by fenring »

kjd wrote:
There is a Brno copy getting around I cant remember its name but I would suspect that even a cheap asian knock off of a Brno would be more rewarding then a Marlin. Just my opinion mate! On the other hand Marlin lever guns are great!
Norinco.

They are not as nicely finished as the Marlin or Savage rifles and can suffer from a very heavy trigger.

A mate has a Savage .22 with the Accutrigger, he fitted a Boyd's thumbhole stock as the synthetic was too low in the comb for scope use. (although the rifle shot very well). It can cut ragged one hole groups with ammo it likes at 50 metres off the bipod .

He also just picked up a basic blued Marlin heavy barrel .17 HMR and stuck a Revival Industries thumbhole stock on that (the whole thing cost around $660) and it too shoots nice. Came with two mags as well.

The Savage and Marlin guns might be a bit agricultural in some aspects of the finish compared to CZ (namely the stocks on some of them) but nevertheless many can shoot really well, and they are cheaper.
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

I concur about the 'i love this gun' factor, but I got mine for its cheapness and so I'd not feel bad if it was rained on, scratched or beaten about in general use. Short ammo in my 925r does not feed 100% reliably either (it hits the face of the barrel above the chamber sometimes)

The CZ 452, annie and sako quad are nice bits of gear, and sure you will keep it forever and a day and love it the whole time... BUT I think there is always a place in the safe for a knock about rifle at a low price.. put with that the great performance of them at the target... what could be better for a knock about rifle, cheap, accurate and functional

If I had my time over, I'd buy the savage, but that said, if I couldnt get one the day that the PTA turned up, the marlin is not a bad bit of gear.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Its not a bad gun but one I couldn't get to like. then again I was using it right near my CZ and I must say they are worth the extra money!
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

yeah, the CZ is a really nice bit of gear, I'd love to have one in 22LR, I'd really like a sako quad from what I've seen. Maybe one day
Counter

Post by Counter »

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Given me something to think about.

I was hoping to get a cheapish knock around rifle that wouldn't matter if it got a bit beaten up, rained on, scratched and whatever, that could be used by my girlfriend at times and basically, something that I just won't be too precious about.

I do like the idea of a synthetic stock, but I'm not sure if I'm putting too much emphasis on it. I'm also not in a screaming rush so I think I'll hold off for a bit. Any other suggestions please let me know.

Cheers.
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

one thing that springs to mind is that if you go the savage, you can get heaps of aftermarket stocks for them.. might want to pay the extra $200 and get the savage and then buy another stock later?

that way you can drop it in the plastic for a bit of wet weather work, or put the nice wood or whatever on it for a nice day in the afternoon sun? or you could use the plastic for walking and offhand shooting and get a heavy varmint style stock for a bit of bipod/sandbag work?

-Arch
fenring

Post by fenring »

Here's my mate's Marlin 917V as it came:

And with the Revival industries Tundra stock.

And here's his Savage MKII in a Boyd's Ross thumbhole.

The Tundra stock was a straight drop in fit. The Boyd's needed a bit of work, fitting and finishing and was bedded in the end as well. [/img]
Counter

Post by Counter »

Hi fenring,
Thanks for the pics.

What did it cost you for the other stocks?
Did you bed them yourself?

Cheers.
fenring

Post by fenring »

I think the Tundra stock cost about $170 delivered - he saved a bit on postage as another bloke got one too - they come in a range of interesting colours!

Not sure about how much he paid for the Boyd's stock - it came off ebay as Boyd's normally have a fair waiting period.

There was a fair bit of work in fitting the Boyd's stock too - a bit of inletting work still needed to be done.

He had the 'smith bed the .22 in the Boyd's, the Marlin shoots just fine in the Tundra stock.
Counter

Post by Counter »

Interesting. Thanks.