What new rifle?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Re: What new rifle?

Post by kjd »

stinkitup wrote:
kjd wrote:What about the Hogue's foreend flex?? It flexes significantly more than the Tikka stock in Varmint or Sporter.
Now there is a scientific statement :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry was I suppose to measure it ? I fixed it for you :P
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

Camel wrote:All good suggestions, what about a 22-250 loaded up with 60 or 65gn hunting projectiles, good old fashioned soft points. Of course you scope might have to change to something with a bit more high end magnification, say a 4 - 12 or 16. Don't forget to check out the Zastava line of rifles either, great mauser 98 based action at a very good price.
wouldn't bother doing that with a 22-250, your hamstringing it's performance, why not just run a 243? you can load a 243 with 70 grain ballistic tips if you want those little light projies, or personally, just run something around 80 grains and do it all, or load up something heavy if you need to. It gives a hell of a lot more versatility than a 22-250 does, I'd look at a 243 or 6.5 offering if I was after an "all rounder", also, don't be afraid to have a look at the second hand market, good deals definately can be had there. I wouldn't rule out rugers, I quite like them, but personal preference, is really what it will come down to hey. Get what your happy with, cause you'll be the one pulling the trigger, not us!
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

stinkitup wrote:
kjd wrote:What about the Hogue's foreend flex?? It flexes heaps more than the Tikka stock in Varmint or Sporter.

Having had both I have to agree with Keith. T3s are actually free floated and gripping the stock doesnt bend it into contact with the barrel.
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

DSD wrote:Is there really only $100 between a howa and a Tikka? I remember them being like 500 and something vs $1100.
For $100 I wouldn't change my choice but if the tikka was $600 cheaper I might. :stir:
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

kjd wrote:
stinkitup wrote:
kjd wrote:What about the Hogue's foreend flex?? It flexes significantly more than the Tikka stock in Varmint or Sporter.
Sorry was I suppose to measure it ? I fixed it for you :P
Yes you were :lol: :lol: :stir:
DPV2010
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by DPV2010 »

Thanks everyone for your help, as much as the 7mm-08 is a different round and great for hunting and silhouette I think the bonus of. 243 with my buddy having the same, reloading costs etc the. 243 seems to benefit that way.

Is there any major advantage of getting a swede or 7mm-08? Other than the. 243 (I know another can of worms!)

The tikka is the choice now!

Thanks again
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

DPV2010 wrote:Thanks everyone for your help, as much as the 7mm-08 is a different round and great for hunting and silhouette I think the bonus of. 243 with my buddy having the same, reloading costs etc the. 243 seems to benefit that way.

Is there any major advantage of getting a swede or 7mm-08? Other than the. 243 (I know another can of worms!)

The tikka is the choice now!

Thanks again
depends on what range of projies you wanna throw really, 243 can do 55-100 odd grains, whereas the 6.5 will do 85-160 odd and the 7mm will do similar to the 6.5 from memory, Will you reload this rifle mate?
DPV2010
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by DPV2010 »

I will be looking to reload yeah, probably starting with a lee kit and upgrading from there.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

personally mate, I'd be looking at either the 6.5x55 or 243, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, both are good cartridges and you'll be happy either way! the 6.5 offers more versatility on the top end, but a lot of pigs fall to a remmy core lokt 100 grainer from a 243, they are a fantastic projie. I quite like the 243, but when it comes to rounding out my 3 centerfire collection, there won't be a spot for a 243, however, there will be a spot for a 6.5, in the form of the mild mannered 6,5x47 lap.
DSD
.270 Winchester

Post by DSD »

kjd wrote: Good thing a rifle is not anything like a shotgun and you can't compare rifle fit and shotgun fit. A shotgun fits to put your eye in EXACTLY the right place. If a shotgun does not fit you properly it is hard to shoot well with it, rifle stocks are far more forgiving and have to be far more versatile. Sorry but its one thing to say you want a rifle stock to be comfortable and another to compare it to shotgun fit.

A rifle is different, most use a scope which negates the need to be sighting down the barrel and as soon as you go outside the norm with scopes on a rifle the ergonomics change slightly even if it does have a cheek piece. This is why adjustable stocks are all the rage at the moment amongst the target and tactical style shooters.
Ok so either my delivery was poor or you have misinterpreted it. Obviously I do not want or expect to have a rifle the same as a shotgun, my point was that shotgun shooters supposedly shoot instinctively and in order to do so need the shotgun to fit them. So by the same train of thought when field shooting in strange positions or at rapidly appearing/disappearing targets and not having the firearm on a bi pod or rest and set up to go in your favourite position, a rifle that comes up to the point of aim without effort and gives you a clear sight picture will greatly increase your success rate. I guess it all depends on the type style of shooting you do to what you are willing to put up with. When I was shooting 500 rds a week in the offhand position I could consistently shoot 9's and 10's with my eyes closed( I opened them between shots checked my sight picture and lowered rifle again) because I got set up correctly first. I was only able to achieve this because the rifle fitted me and i was standing as natural as possible and did not have to strain or move to fit the rifle, I was relaxed because the rifle fitted me and if I opened my eyes I was looking straight down the middle of the scope. I tried a lot of rifles and as you said played with scope height and distance to achieve this. Can i do this now? NO but am I full of shit? ask a aa grade or masters grade offhand shooter and see what they say! Of course shooting from a rest negates all of the above.

If you have only ever had rifles that do not fit or uncomfortable you will not understand exactly the benefits. I was unfortunate enough to have grown up using a rifle that was like an extension of my self it fitted so well which has made me very fussy since.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Man you must do a lot of yoga!
Tezza
17 Hornet

Post by Tezza »

DSD wrote:
kjd wrote: Good thing a rifle is not anything like a shotgun and you can't compare rifle fit and shotgun fit. A shotgun fits to put your eye in EXACTLY the right place. If a shotgun does not fit you properly it is hard to shoot well with it, rifle stocks are far more forgiving and have to be far more versatile. Sorry but its one thing to say you want a rifle stock to be comfortable and another to compare it to shotgun fit.

A rifle is different, most use a scope which negates the need to be sighting down the barrel and as soon as you go outside the norm with scopes on a rifle the ergonomics change slightly even if it does have a cheek piece. This is why adjustable stocks are all the rage at the moment amongst the target and tactical style shooters.
Ok so either my delivery was poor or you have misinterpreted it. Obviously I do not want or expect to have a rifle the same as a shotgun, my point was that shotgun shooters supposedly shoot instinctively and in order to do so need the shotgun to fit them. So by the same train of thought when field shooting in strange positions or at rapidly appearing/disappearing targets and not having the firearm on a bi pod or rest and set up to go in your favourite position, a rifle that comes up to the point of aim without effort and gives you a clear sight picture will greatly increase your success rate. I guess it all depends on the type style of shooting you do to what you are willing to put up with. When I was shooting 500 rds a week in the offhand position I could consistently shoot 9's and 10's with my eyes closed( I opened them between shots checked my sight picture and lowered rifle again) because I got set up correctly first. I was only able to achieve this because the rifle fitted me and i was standing as natural as possible and did not have to strain or move to fit the rifle, I was relaxed because the rifle fitted me and if I opened my eyes I was looking straight down the middle of the scope. I tried a lot of rifles and as you said played with scope height and distance to achieve this. Can i do this now? NO but am I full of shit? ask a aa grade or masters grade offhand shooter and see what they say! Of course shooting from a rest negates all of the above.

If you have only ever had rifles that do not fit or uncomfortable you will not understand exactly the benefits. I was unfortunate enough to have grown up using a rifle that was like an extension of my self it fitted so well which has made me very fussy since.

I know what you mean DSD. My SMLE just doesn't fit me right. When I bring her up to my eye, I have to physically change my head and body position around the rifle to get the sights to align, which puts me in an unnatural shooting position. I think it's safe to say that the better the rifle fits you, the better you'll shoot, scope or no, as if it's a comfortable and natural shooting position, it will be more repeatable as that's the position you will automatically fall into each time you shoulder the rifle.