What new rifle?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: What new rifle?

Post by MISSED »

Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 :shock:
Teepee
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 20-250

Post by Teepee »

I'm a fan of the 7-08
Good all round "round"
Especially if you reload for it.
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

yep the ol Swede wold be the stuff. that's what I was set on till I went and bought a 17 Rem to turn into a 20 Vartrg :shock:.

in a T3 you could load it up to really be sweet. a 260
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

After getting a 260Rem a few months ago I highly recommend one for an all round gun.

Glenn
CZ550
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .243 Win

Post by CZ550 »

Tikka in .243 - will do everything you want it to do on goats. Bonus that your shooting partner has one also, as others have said, buy reloading compenents in bulk and save $$$. The "pope" can be loaded up or down with projectiles from 55gr for fluffies to 100+gr for deer if you get onto them - very versitile.

I realise buying a common round like the .243 might seem boring, but in terms of ammo/reloading component accessability it is excellent.

Regards,

CZ550
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Another vote for the .243.

Its one of those true versatile calibers.
As has been said before, load up or down to suit the specific game you are hunting, or pick a mid range quality projectile for everything.

Mick
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

mick_762 wrote:
As has been said before, load up or down to suit the specific game you are hunting, or pick a mid range quality projectile for everything.

Mick

Bugger that Mick, I go on the principle of one load one rifle these days, can be a little more expensive that way though. :oops:
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

MISSED wrote:Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 :shock:
+1 8)
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

DSD wrote:Is there really only $100 between a howa and a Tikka? I remember them being like 500 and something vs $1100.
I totally understand what you mean about stocks though, most people on here would know that i have a disliking of Tikkas, most would not know the reason though. The only reason i do not like Tikkas is that I have never picked 1 up that has been comfortable or has pointed were i am looking without effort or being comfortable. Shotgun shooters always talk about fit, for me Tikkas just do not have it, but I guess that is personal choice.
Having said that rarely now do I buy a rifle that does not have the stock changed with most of them getting something like an anschutz silhoutte style copy. A few from the missedathon can attest to if that style is any good or not as I had 1 there.
Good thing a rifle is not anything like a shotgun and you can't compare rifle fit and shotgun fit. A shotgun fits to put your eye in EXACTLY the right place. If a shotgun does not fit you properly it is hard to shoot well with it, rifle stocks are far more forgiving and have to be far more versatile. Sorry but its one thing to say you want a rifle stock to be comfortable and another to compare it to shotgun fit.

A rifle is different, most use a scope which negates the need to be sighting down the barrel and as soon as you go outside the norm with scopes on a rifle the ergonomics change slightly even if it does have a cheek piece. This is why adjustable stocks are all the rage at the moment amongst the target and tactical style shooters.

There are a heap of aftermarket Tikka stocks from Boyds, GRS, Manners and then some others as well.

In saying all that the Tikka stocks whilst nothing special have never offended me at all. I own two and there is a reason for that and its not because I'm a fan boy. They work great out of the box, they shoot well and are great value. The only let down with the Tikka is the Magazine set up but its one you can live with.

I've never heard a Tikka owner whinge and bitch about their gun its usually naysayers that haven't had any real experience with a Tikka that don't like them.

I'd pick a Tikka over a Howa but the Howa's represent a good gun for the money also.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

kjd wrote:.........I'd pick a Tikka over a Howa but the Howa's represent a good gun for the money also..............
Funny, when faced with the choice while buying my 7-08, I went the other way and chose the Howa. Cost was not the deciding factor.

I just felt the Hogue stock felt better than the T3 synthetic, and I liked the quality of machining (I'm a fitter/machinist by trade). Not that the Tikka was far behind.

I have shot a Tikka 22-250, and it was a very nice rifle (SS Hunter). But I'm definitely not sorry about choosing my Howa.

My suggestion would be to pick up one of each in whichever calibre you settle on, and see which feels the best for you.

cheers, curan
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

What about the Hogue's foreend flex?? It flexes heaps more than the Tikka stock in Varmint or Sporter.
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

curan wrote:

My suggestion would be to pick up one of each in whichever calibre you settle on, and see which feels the best for you.

cheers, curan

Thats been probably the best advice so far.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

kjd wrote:What about the Hogue's foreend flex?? It flexes heaps more than the Tikka stock in Varmint or Sporter.
I hold my left hand right in front of the trigger guard on all my rifles (levers included) unless a protruding mag gets in the way. Then I hold right in front of that.

Comes from a lot of target shooting, particularly 10m air. I hold the same way for silhouette. So I don't notice flex at the front of the forearm, and it hasn't been an issue for me. Tends to change offhand patterns on paper from vertical spread to horizontal, but any spread is bad when you are on paper!

You are right though, the tip does flex on the Hogue.

cheers, curan
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

curan wrote:
kjd wrote:What about the Hogue's foreend flex?? It flexes heaps more than the Tikka stock in Varmint or Sporter.
I hold my left hand right in front of the trigger guard on all my rifles (levers included) unless a protruding mag gets in the way. Then I hold right in front of that.

Comes from a lot of target shooting, particularly 10m air. I hold the same way for silhouette. So I don't notice flex at the front of the forearm, and it hasn't been an issue for me. Tends to change offhand patterns on paper from vertical spread to horizontal, but any spread is bad when you are on paper!

You are right though, the tip does flex on the Hogue.

cheers, curan
I always thinnk flex is worse when it comes to resting the rifle or using bipods.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Now there is a scientific statement :lol: :lol: :lol: