I've done something silly.. Ordered a Bmag in 17WSM

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Re: I've done something silly.. Ordered a Bmag in 17WSM

Post by kjd »

zook60 wrote:Any one know who currently has ammo for this thing?
The savage is starting to show up in a few stores now.
We should have some ammo in the next week or so...
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

I reckon that anyone who gets one of these critters, better stock up pretty well on ammo, my crystal ball says it will get pretty scarce once the original hype is over and done with. I have heard that 17HH ammo is pretty thin on the ground, so if that is anything to go by, stock up well fellas.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Camel read a post on Saubier. Bloke thought he was very clever stocked up with thousands of 17m2 ammo the writing was on the wall for it. Now he is reading the ammo has a shelf life with necks splitting from old age and he isnt feeling as clever any more. It isnt like you can store the brass till you need it and then load up......
zook60
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by zook60 »

I'm hoping it's all just rumors as far as ammo availability goes.
My LGS said to me the other day that the Bmag I order will be in anyday now. He said the price has gone up from what he quoted me. He also said he doesn't really care if I buy it or not.
So he either wants one himself or he doesn't want to have me coming in asking for ammo all the time.
Some dealers are asking $650 which is a bit much considering the street price in the USA is around $299
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

trevort wrote:Camel read a post on Saubier. Bloke thought he was very clever stocked up with thousands of 17m2 ammo the writing was on the wall for it. Now he is reading the ammo has a shelf life with necks splitting from old age and he isnt feeling as clever any more. It isnt like you can store the brass till you need it and then load up......

ummm brass doesn't get harder with age.. only if it gets worked I believe?? Prob would have split necks if all shot in the first year.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

trevort wrote:Camel read a post on Saubier. Bloke thought he was very clever stocked up with thousands of 17m2 ammo the writing was on the wall for it. Now he is reading the ammo has a shelf life with necks splitting from old age and he isnt feeling as clever any more. It isnt like you can store the brass till you need it and then load up......

Yeah, I read that one a while back Trev, my post was mainly aimed at the blokes who might get one, and then think after they have shot off the original 100 or so the get, go to the gunshop in three or four months and find that there isn't any stock available. The local shop is having a hard time even getting 22 ammo of some brands. I think that the US market is still absorbing so much these days with the way things are over there.
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

I've done something silly.. Ordered a Bmag in 17WSM

Post by Buffy »

zook60 wrote:I'm hoping it's all just rumors as far as ammo availability goes.
My LGS said to me the other day that the Bmag I order will be in anyday now. He said the price has gone up from what he quoted me. He also said he doesn't really care if I buy it or not.
So he either wants one himself or he doesn't want to have me coming in asking for ammo all the time.
Some dealers are asking $650 which is a bit much considering the street price in the USA is around $299
I'd be telling him to stick it up his arse and shop elsewhere. I did that to a lgs in the NT. They soon get the drift when they start doing rifle transfers from interstate on brand new firearms they have in stock!

Some gun shops really need to take a long hard look at their service when it comes to their regular customers.

BB
Last edited by Buffy on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fenring

Post by fenring »

Just handled a Bmag at the LGS.

Truly cheap and nasty.

Not just cheap, as in Zastava .22 cheap, but nasty.

So light and spindly and plasticy it feels like a toy. The barrel wasn't quite centred in the barrel channel of the one I handled, the retaining clip on the front of the box is a flexible plastic ear - unlike the Ruger rotary mag that has steel front and back.

The camming action on closing the bolt was very stiff. In fact I thought something must be wrong but no.

That jet engine shaped hollow bolt knob is uncomfortable given the stiff action. And it looks silly.

The bolt shroud is hideous but you are stuck with it 'cos the safety hides in underneath there.

The stock was at least better than the droopy combed Savage rimfire jobs, with a high and straight comb for proper cheek weld.

A heavy barrel would have made it feel so much better and look the part.

Long term I'd be worried about the durability of the magazine.

Handle one of these and then a cheap Zastava rimfire rifle and one feels like it will last for generations. One feels like it might last ten years.
zook60
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by zook60 »

With a review like that it makes a Howa 223 HB lopped to 20" loaded with 55g Sierra Roo load load look a whole lot better for fox/ spotligting as this was my second option.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

stinkitup wrote:

ummm brass doesn't get harder with age.. only if it gets worked I believe?? Prob would have split necks if all shot in the first year.

Stinky get on to Saubier and argue with him. A pretty experienced and respected member iirc!
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Post by johno1 »

I know with the old cases I have for the 22 h.p & such, its always recomended to anneal old brass. I was always thought brass hardened over time

Johno