I've done something silly.. Ordered a Bmag in 17WSM

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Re: I've done something silly.. Ordered a Bmag in 17WSM

Post by johno1 »

Fen, now your seeing where i'm going with this, due to the case thickness it would be a monty in the 465 mag, possibly the 77/22 hornet, I don't think extraction would be to big an issue. Not sure pn the cost of sorting the firing pin. As camel has fallen by the way, we will now call it operation fenring :wink: Think of it has a task force secondment, you being chief as well as indian :lol:

Johno
fenring

Post by fenring »

I'm happy with my poor old HMR mate. :lol:

If I need more the .223 or 6.5x55 come out. :twisted:
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

If you're so keen Johno why don't you do it?
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Post by johno1 »

Hey Keith, i'm just the ideas man :lol: Don't get out now, only to knock a deer for the freezer. Big herd thinning shortly.

Fen, most disappointed :o

Johno
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

kjd wrote:Well that's a point too mate, it could be a combination of sloppy chambers and very thin walled brass that does it and those guns with tighter chambers don't allow the case to split?
Might be some of the problem but my understanding is the root cause is not enough annealing during case forming.
Seems they wanted to keep annealing to a minimum to reduce costs and the end result is cases age hardening and brittle necks.
I have customers regularly complaining about it with all brands of ammo although some batches seem to be worse/better than others.

Manufacturers claim to now be on top of it but still recommend using the ammo quickly instead of letting it sit around for a few years.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Interesting 220!
.270 Winchester

Post by 220 »

kjd wrote:Interesting 220!
If you look at enough ammo that has been stored for a few years you will find loaded ammo that has split the necks prior to even being fired.
This is what has been blamed and the best explanation I have heard for HMR's that have been blown up.
Split neck allows moisture into the case effecting the powder resulting in a projectile stuck in the barrel and next shot results in a big BANG.
How much moisture is needed I don't know but rounds being left in a pocket and going through the washing machine isn't unheard of, maybe even a few hours in a sweaty pocket walking the paddocks in summer might do it.
I've only had one pop that lodged a projectile in the barrel, the neck was split after firing but I don't know if it was split before.
Lots of unburnt powder in the action and case that was in clumps as if it had been wet.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

That's real bad.
Wo knows I might end up selling the HMR when the 17wsm comes out!
.270 Winchester

Post by 220 »

kjd wrote:That's real bad.
Wo knows I might end up selling the HMR when the 17wsm comes out!
The big problem isn't the dud rounds so much as people not stopping to check what has happened and firing the next round with the barrel plugged with a projectile.
IMHO the reason so many HMR's are suffering damage is because so many inexperienced shooters are getting them as a 1st rifle or as the next step up from a 22lr and if one goes pop they just try the next one without looking for the reason why.
Really it is very basic firearms safety and even covered in the practical part of the firearms safety awareness course.

The squib loads are obviously a pain in the arse, but only partially to blame. Talk to any pistol shooter who reloads and its almost certain the have had at least one. I know at my pistol club it is a common enough that we have a selection of lengths and diameter pieces of dowel and a hammer sitting in the target shed just to deal with it . In the 13 years I've been shooting there we haven't had a blow up. Shooters know if they get a pop not to pull the trigger again.
fenring

Post by fenring »

Good advice mate.
.270 Winchester

Post by 220 »

Have you got an ETA yet Keith
Just read a review by Layne Simpson, velocity seems to be spot on 3013fps for the 20gr & 2597fps for the 25gr with the stuff he tested. Accuracy was around 1.5moa with both loads.
Seem the 25gr HP use is out with the B.Mag unless you want to single load as they wont feed.
Winchester's original plan was only for V-max ammo, savage designed the rifle to work with them and then Winchester then decided to add a HP with a different OAL.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

220 wrote:Have you got an ETA yet Keith
Just read a review by Layne Simpson, velocity seems to be spot on 3013fps for the 20gr & 2597fps for the 25gr with the stuff he tested. Accuracy was around 1.5moa with both loads.
Seem the 25gr HP use is out with the B.Mag unless you want to single load as they wont feed.
Winchester's original plan was only for V-max ammo, savage designed the rifle to work with them and then Winchester then decided to add a HP with a different OAL.
I've heard May mate but I won't be getting one just yet. I just got a 17HMR.
zook60
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by zook60 »

Not long now apparently only 2-3 weeks and there will be 350 hitting the shelves.
zook60
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by zook60 »

Any one know who currently has ammo for this thing?
The savage is starting to show up in a few stores now.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Clayton trigger and tackle has some