Ruger 17hmr with leupy EFR scope

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Ruger 17hmr with leupy EFR scope

Post by Branxhunter »

My Ruger M77/17 was the first rifle I bought, and is the only rifle I have bought new. While it has always been more accurate than my old worn out Voere .22 it has never been as accurate as some of the claims I have read regarding 17 hmr accuracy. With the light slim barrel and stock it feels good in the hands and the rotary magazine is brilliant.

I have tried 3 scopes (chinese Tasco 3-9x40, Simmons 3-10x44, Weaver K8) and a variety of ammo (CCI, Hornady, Winchester, Remington) but could only acheive minor improvements. I bedded the action and floated the barrel which did tighten groups up at 50m to around 10c size but accuracy of around 1.5-2" at 100m never really set me on fire.

I recently found a second hand Leupold 3-9x33 EFR on abused guns for a good price and jumped on it, and I managed to mount and zero it at 100m last Friday evening.
Ruger 17hmr & 3-9x33 EFR 17gn group.JPG
Problem solved, case closed.

Marcus
matang
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Re: Ruger 17hmr with leupy EFR scope

Post by matang »

Nice set up. I dont bother with any cheap scopes anymore not worth the hassle. I have found that money spent on a good scope and rings is more important than spending extra on rifle
Franklinsnapper
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 204

Post by Franklinsnapper »

matang wrote:Nice set up. I dont bother with any cheap scopes anymore not worth the hassle. I have found that money spent on a good scope and rings is more important than spending extra on rifle
Yep, spend as much or more on scopes than the rifle they're going on and things should be spot on from the start. My Ruger 77/17 is topped with a Leupold VX3L 4.5-14 x 50 with the B&C illuminated reticle (never switched it on, haha) and it is quite brilliant to use.
fenring

Post by fenring »

Nice rig mate. Some accuracy claims are overblown IMO. Regular .5 moa groups, etc.
Franklinsnapper
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 204

Post by Franklinsnapper »

fenring wrote:Nice rig mate. Some accuracy claims are overblown IMO. Regular .5 moa groups, etc.
Yep, agree.
It is a flat shooting accurate round that is capable of reaching out a bit in still conditions but inconsistency in HMR ammo amazes me at times. When punching paper while trying some 204 loads last week I gave the 17HMR a run with 17gr V-Max and despite it being inherently accurate flyers (and misfires are) commonplace. While sitting overlooking a warren recently from 2x 50 packs of V-Max I had at least 6 or 7 that just went 'click' and others that I could see through the scope that were just complete flyers, missing a rabbit by a good margin after nailing heaps on the same warren from a solid sitting position over the bipod.
Despite all that I still love using it.......
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

My Savage shoots around an inch at 100yds. I've not had any ammo (aside from fliers) yet, using Hornady 17gr Vmax.

A question why doesn't anyone use the 20gr Vmax projectiles in the HMR?
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

fenring wrote:Nice rig mate. Some accuracy claims are overblown IMO. Regular .5 moa groups, etc.
Yeah, but I don't think the misguided opinion that a single half MOA group makes a half MOA rifle is limited to just HMR's! :mrgreen:
fenring

Post by fenring »

jeffk wrote:
Yeah, but I don't think the misguided opinion that a single half MOA group makes a half MOA rifle is limited to just HMR's! :mrgreen:

True.
crackers17
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6mm dasher

Post by crackers17 »

Nice looking rifle marcus...
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

They are both nice looking rigs, I do like the Ruger styling, etc, but they still have a way to go to catch up with the CZ line. Of course opinions may vary on this last profound statement, but you are as entitled to be wrong as anyone else.

:twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :shock:
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Camel wrote:They are both nice looking rigs, I do like the Ruger styling, etc, but they still have a way to go to catch up with the CZ line. Of course opinions may vary on this last profound statement, but you are as entitled to be wrong as anyone else.

I Agree.
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Branxhunter »

Camel wrote:They are both nice looking rigs, I do like the Ruger styling, etc, but they still have a way to go to catch up with the CZ line. Of course opinions may vary on this last profound statement, but you are as entitled to be wrong as anyone else.

Hmmm, not sure on this one. If CZ kept the styling that was used on the early Brno model 2 I would agree with you - nice slim fore-end with schnabnel tip and straight comb butt. I am not as keen on the styling available for the CZ452 and CZ455 models.

IMO the design and operation of the safety and the magazine is better on the Ruger, however I can't argue against the reputation for accuracy held by the CZ rim fires.

Marcus
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Branxhunter »

matang wrote:Nice set up. I dont bother with any cheap scopes anymore not worth the hassle. I have found that money spent on a good scope and rings is more important than spending extra on rifle
Yeah, despite having heard this said by plenty of people before it seems to be a lesson we just have to learn ourselves.......

Marcus
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Branxhunter wrote:

Hmmm, not sure on this one. If CZ kept the styling that was used on the early Brno model 2 I would agree with you - nice slim fore-end with schnabnel tip and straight comb butt. I am not as keen on the styling available for the CZ452 and CZ455 models.

IMO the design and operation of the safety and the magazine is better on the Ruger, however I can't argue against the reputation for accuracy held by the CZ rim fires.

Marcus

That was a little bit of a piss take, as I'm sure you are aware, however to me anyway, I actually prefer the magazine on the CZ/Brno, very simple and quick to remove and replace, and in my job that does mean the opportunity of a quick shot after the first mag is empty, they are also a hell of a lot easier and simpler to take apart and clean, which is also pretty important out here in the dusty country, I never even tried to take the mag apart on the Ruger I had, but I doubt it is an easy job.
As to the safety, on my work rifles they don't work anyway, I have the triggers adjusted so low that if I apply the safety and then take it off, the rifle fires. I'm not sure if any of the safeties on any of my rifles work, I never use them. For those a little worried about the way I have my rifles set up, and their operation, remember I work alone, and the rifle is never in the cab of my ute, except when I travel to and from where I shoot. When I hunt with others, its a whole different ball game,

Sorry about off topic, as I said before, I do like the styling of Ruger rifles, and who knows, maybe if I had have had a Ruger as my first rifle instead of a Brno, I may have had a different outlook on things.
fenring

Post by fenring »

I'd take a Ruger over a CZ any day.