Recoil Reducers.

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Recoil Reducers.

Post by kjd »

Has anyone played with one?

I am thinking about installing one in the 300win, not because I'm worried about recoil but it would be awesome to tame the gun with that and a muzzlebrake to be able to spot shots at long range.

What are your guys thoughts on them?
Apples
Favourite Cartridge: 375 cheytac

Re: Recoil Reducers.

Post by Apples »

Check out terminator brakes made in nz. They are awesome, wouldn't use anything else. I have 1 on my 375 cheytac, 300 win mag and 338 edge. I can spot shots with all these rifles from 200 yards to 1000+
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

Recoil reducer in a 300WM! You're kidding, right? :wink:

A brake will stop the muzzle jump so you can watch the shot land, and if you're building a long range rig, it's going to have enough weight on it's own.

I bought one for my 500NE, built on a Ruger No. 1, and didn't bother with it in the end, just going with extra weight in the stock more for balance than anything else.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

As I said it's not so much a worry about felt recoil I've fire bigger, lighter guns without issue, but for $120 odd bucks why wouldn't you?
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

I have used them in both the boys shotguns when they were younger
Didn't hurt to have them in, Sam shot 36 gram loads in F&G when he was 12 year old.
Ol 55
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Mate put a dead mule into the stock on his 30-338LM reckoned it feels the same with and without it in. To reduce recoil balance the rifle better and add weight overall. Or run one of those horrible muzzle break thingies that piss off every other shooter around you.
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

kjd wrote:As I said it's not so much a worry about felt recoil I've fire bigger, lighter guns without issue, but for $120 odd bucks why wouldn't you?
The noise they can make, for one thing. Whether spring loaded, full of lead shot/dust or mercury, they are not silent in the stock. Better to simply add weight, build the gun heavier or run a brake, IMHO.