300 Black Out

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Re: 300 Black Out

Post by Tackleberry »

lemmingtons are like holdens you have pull them apart machine them and put parts from other fire arms on them to do what they should have done in the first place............. :rifle:

and yes i have had a few .
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

I remember when BB bought his little 300 Black and I agree with his thoughts there. For low recoil use from a very light rifle, within 100m, delivering little or no muzzle blast, the idea is sound. It is one of the few uses I can see for that style of cartridge in Australia.

For a similar use (my kids are 10 and 14) I built the little Grendel. I wanted more punch than the 223, and a rifle that was realistic for kids to use and carry all day long. Essentially I used a 223 action to house something with equal power to the 257 Roberts.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

As Missed mentioned,why is it that there is so much aftermarkt gear for Remingtons..................surely its not because they are that bad,there is an entire industry of go fast bits built around them.............................................for a reason.
I am still scratching my head to think of what parts are used from other firearm manufacturers that are used to make them right,maybe it was the Sako extractor.............but they dont need them .............fixing a problem that doesnt exist me thinks.
Sorry to the OP for being OT but it will keep the discussion going.
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

chris.tyne wrote:As Missed mentioned,why is it that there is so much aftermarkt gear for Remingtons..................surely its not because they are that bad,there is an entire industry of go fast bits built around them.............................................for a reason.
I am still scratching my head to think of what parts are used from other firearm manufacturers that are used to make them right,maybe it was the Sako extractor.............but they dont need them .............fixing a problem that doesnt exist me thinks.
Sorry to the OP for being OT but it will keep the discussion going.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:bang:
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Buff Buster wrote:let me put it like this...... what would you rather be hit buy? a tennis ball at 60kmh or a B-Double at 60kmh?

let me know how your 55gr v-max goes on a pigs shoulder at subsonic speeds.....Then come tell me that a 250gr at the same speed is useless....
Hey BB I like your 300 Blackout idea, I have read a little about it when first coming out. You have a good range of pills too from 110 to over 200 that's the beauty of it.

Plus your young bloke gets to brag it's his rifle 8)

Be good to see the results when finished.

Ryan
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Just tell to stick it where the sun don't shine, Buff. I reckon its a pretty cool little cartridge, wouldn't mind one myself one day, but I think I would prefer a 300Whisper. :lol:
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

The school yard conversation - kid: my dad let me shoot the 22 and we saw rabbits and we shoot at em and we walked in a paddock....

BB's kid: dad built me a 30 cal........nuff said
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Camel that is funny!

Kickinback that is gold!

Glenn
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

kickinback wrote:The school yard conversation - kid: my dad let me shoot the 22 and we saw rabbits and we shoot at em and we walked in a paddock....

BB's kid: dad built me a 30 cal........nuff said
... and I shot pigs, dogs, donkeys :twisted:
Sako Sam
Favourite Cartridge: 20 Tactical

Post by Sako Sam »

IMO the H&R Handirifle that Buff has bought is gonna serve the purpose perfectly for a number of reasons.
Weight - I think he said the whole package comes in at under 7lb, that makes it light enough for the young fella to handle by himself. If anything does go pear shaped BB will be able to provide a quick backup shot or 2.
Twist Rate - These things were made to shoot heavy pills at any speed. That immediately puts it above a 7.62x39 in the equivalent rifle before we even get to recoil. If he wants to load it supersonic with something like a 130gn TSX that should open up very nicely.
The whole argument about low velocity, low noise? Why is there such a huge market for subsonic 22LR ammo? Even if you keep the can out of the argument.
Trajectory. I don't think it matters, hunting a target rich environment, if he can't get close enough another shot is more than likely just around the corner.
Finally. Why the fuck not have one?
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Why the fuck not have one?
Sam has come with the perfect reason to get one!

Glenn
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Glenn wrote:

Glenn
Agree with you there Glenn :D

Also if you search the world of the internet for vmax pills at lower velocities it is interesting how they behave :rocket:
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Glenn wrote:

Glenn

I can see there uses and for anyone wondering about heavy pills just above subsonic.

Just ask all those Indians John Wayne shot with his 44/40 :upyours:

So that is the reason for the cartridge sorted

Is a Remchester 300 ssshhh worth nearly 3 grand
Sako Sam
Favourite Cartridge: 20 Tactical

Post by Sako Sam »

^^^ Nope!
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR