New project - Omark .308

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

New project - Omark .308

Post by Branxhunter »

A friend gave me this old beast to play with. Another friend has found a rear peep in his box of treasures so hopefully will fit.

I have never seen one in the flesh before - was quite interested to see that it has an adjustable trigger.

Stock will definately need lengthening or replacing though - sure what has happened there - perhaps was fitted with an adjustable butt?

Marcus
Attachments
Rifle
Rifle
Markings
Markings
Bolthead
Bolthead
Muzzle
Muzzle
Front sight
Front sight
Last edited by Branxhunter on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Re: New project

Post by Branxhunter »

A couple more pics
Attachments
Bolthead
Bolthead
Action
Action
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: New project

Post by Ol 55 »

Good stuff a good action, 308 I recon. Whack a rail on it and come gong shooting with us
You will be very surprised.
Ol 55
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Re: New project - Omark .308

Post by Branxhunter »

Someone here has a 6mmBR omark - I remember reading a fox spotlighting report a few months ago. I would be interested to hear of any tips or tricks with these things.

Also if anyone has an old stock lying around, or knows of any stocks that can be modified to fit, I would also be interested. This one is a bit short in the butt.

Plan B ( or C) will involve gluing and screwing something from the wood off cut pile onto the end of it. Bit like a contrasting fore-end tip in reverse.

Marcus
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Marcus,
Contact your local Full Bore Shooting Club or State Association - there is a surprising amount stuff out there for the venerable old Omark.
I only sold mine recently and it was a comp winner - when I did my part too.

Mick
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

Not a simple exercise to re barrel as the locking lugs are not in the action
But in the barrel
You need an adaptor Tse make one I think also the bolt head is pinned
On so you can adjust the headspace by changing the bolt head
Ol 55
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Branxhunter »

Yep, I'm onto the locking lugs engaging Ito the barrel angle. I gave the bore a clean last night and it looks pretty good - will leave as a .308 for the moment, or at least until I have shot it and proven that the current barrel is a drain pipe.

I mostly wanted to hear from the 6mmBR Omark owner to talk about bedding, action screw torque, trigger adjustment and such things. I have adjusted a number of triggers (and use the various safety tests) but always useful to get extra info.

Marcus
doidge5781
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by doidge5781 »

Omarks are seriously good for the price i have one in .204 with a TSE chromoly barrel and it shoots better than i can, stock is Geoff Slees last creation before he passed away (RIP) adaptor and bolt head conversion is the way to go for .223/.204 cheap easy action to use. A 6br would be the shit in an omark for spotlighting foxes. I believe Kevin Noy bought all of Geaoff slees stock patterns he does work for Peter Van Muirs give him a call about stocks he should be able to whip something up for you :rifle:

doidge5781
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by doidge5781 »

The trigger will be a davies drop in trigger, where are you located i can give you a number of my smith who specializes in omarks and built mine as well as alot of the state fullbore teams rifles
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Branxhunter wrote:I mostly wanted to hear from the 6mmBR Omark owner to talk about bedding, action screw torque, trigger adjustment and such things.Marcus
Hey Marcus, you aren't thinking of Matt Dwyer are you, he did one a few years ago and wrote about it in G&G magazine, or did someone on here do one before I came along ?
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Branxhunter »

I reckon it is someone from over in WA who has the 6mmBR

Marcus
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Branxhunter »

doidge5781 wrote:The trigger will be a davies drop in trigger, where are you located i can give you a number of my smith who specializes in omarks and built mine as well as alot of the state fullbore teams rifles
South West Victoria - feel free to drop me a pm with your smiths number.

Marcus
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Branxhunter »

A mate from work has boxes of "treasures" from when his dad was a home gunsmith - he found me a "Central" peep sight which seems to fit OK.

I also spent today stripping and reshaping the stock. He has more figure and character than I was expecting. Once I get some oil onto it I hope the grain will really stand out.

Just need to work out how to extend the butt by two inches (possibly 1 inch will be a butt pad) without looking really ordinary and I am ready to shoot.

Marcus
Attachments
Omark RHS reshaped #1.jpg
Omark RHS reshaped #2.jpg
Omark RHS reshaped #3.JPG
Central peep sight #2.jpg
Central peep sight #1.jpg
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Branxhunter »

doidge5781 wrote:Omarks are seriously good for the price i have one in .204 with a TSE chromoly barrel and it shoots better than i can

That does shoot well, I can see why you are happy with it. I have heard of the .223 conversion but never thought of chambering one in .204.

Marcus
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

I know of one bought for $250 I think cracked stock in 308.

Epoxied the stock up, put a rail on it and it has been top shooter at the club and the top shooter and the end of the monthly club shoots at malabar in f standard. He's on here but not so often these days. Also has one in 6br but working on it still. We should be doing a range trip in a few weeks with it :D

Mine was a good shooter just never shot it enough to truly extract full potential. 3 inch piece of stainless plate up front and shot of the rest quite good.

Ryan