Ruger gunsite scout

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
marcopolo
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Ruger gunsite scout

Post by marcopolo »

Cruising used guns as i usually do, and ive been a seeing a lot of Ruger scouts for sale. I've never actually held one, but on paper the look like a good bit of kit. Im not really a Ruger man but the can't be all that bad that everyone is selling them can they?
Anyone had any Hands on with the scouts that could shine some light on the subject ?
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Re: Ruger gunsite scout

Post by adamjp »

I've worked on a few of them. Even Cerakoted one recently.

They are handy.

The stock is OK.

They are quite heavy for their size due to the thick barrel.

Not one of the ones I've fiddled with used a scout mounted scope.

The LC6 trigger is quite good, if you put a new spring into it. The stock spring leaves you with a pull over 6lb, my custom springs drop that down to a very manageable 3lb.
fenring

Post by fenring »

A bloke had one away on my recent pigging trip. Misfeeds, a bold that binds - I was unimpressed with it as a pigging rifle where fast handling and feeding is desired. He ended up shelving it and using his Marlin 336. Set up as a spotlighting rifle with that ten round mag and a decent scope, I can see the appeal. Assuming it feeds Ok.... As a scrub gun, nope.
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

fenring wrote:A bloke had one away on my recent pigging trip. Misfeeds, a bold that binds - I was unimpressed with it as a pigging rifle where fast handling and feeding is desired. He ended up shelving it and using his Marlin 336. Set up as a spotlighting rifle with that ten round mag and a decent scope, I can see the appeal. Assuming it feeds Ok.... As a scrub gun, nope.
Sounds like operator error.

The Ruger action is very good and does not bind unless a) there is something wrong with it that should be fixed under warranty, or b) it's operated by someone without any co-ordination. My only Ruger 77 went 15 years without misfeeding if I did my part properly. After all they are a modernised version of the Mauser 98. Comes down to operation yet again.

For me the GSR are too heavy for lugging around the areas I hunt, and they have poor balance; but for out west or up north I can see the appeal.
fenring

Post by fenring »

Nah mate, not operator error - I had a play with it and it wasn't real smooth. The rattly bolt seemed to bind unless close attention was paid to cycling it. Not good on a rifle intended for fast action.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

i'm with Fen on this one. At the gun club I've seen at least 5 Scouts with owners intending to shoot IPSC field rifle and misfeeds and binding bolts were the norm. they have absolutely nothing on a jungle carbine SMLE.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

Well that settles it, won't be my new deer getter..
Poor balance and feeding issues... Id rather not.
Off to go look at tikka's and savage's. 8)
thanks for the heads up fellas, always appreciated!
Cheers Marc
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

..or a SMLE :lol:
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

I reviewed one, I liked it. I agree that it is heavier than it looks. I had no feeding issues but I didn't try and shoot IPSC either.
fenring

Post by fenring »

Have a look at a Tikka Battue if you want short and handy - can get bigger mags for them.
Mulga
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .222 Rem

Post by Mulga »

I have one and love it and will take it pig hunting over the couple of Sako's that I have in the safe.

You guys must have spaghetti for arms if you think its heavy :lol: Perfect weight IMHO. Unless of course you have a Hubble telescope fitted to it :roll:

The bolt binding is user error and can be overcome with familiarity and practice. Ruger has changed the ejector claw in the more recent scouts which reduces much of the running in process as the bead blasted actions can be rough out of the box. Based on the Mauser design these are dependable hard use rifles.

Ditch the standard factory 10 shot mag and run the Ruger Poly mags or the Steel Alpha mags. I typically run 5 shot pollys as the rifle is better balanced and carries better. The poly mags can be top fed. The Gen 2 Ruger Poly mags facilitate CRF or you can modify the Gen 1's by shortening the feed lips.

As mentioned change the trigger spring. I use a spring from a ball point pen.

The beauty of the scout are the sighting options particularly the forward (of the reciever) mounted red dot. I run three different sights depending on the application. Iron sights are a backup option. A majority of the time I run an Aimpoint Micro-H1 2MOA red dot on LaRue Tactical QD mounts (for close work 0m - 200m) and a Leupold VX3 1.5-6x36 in Warne Maxima QD's (for longer range or low light). I use a XS Sight systems full length rail with a built in rear Iron.

Ammo. nearly any ammo will shoot minute of pig out of these rifles. 1:11 twist barrel prefers the heaver weight pills. I find the 130gr pills are the least precise (handloads shoot 1.5 MOA) I shot some 180gr Woodleigh Hydros the other day and was surprised with groups I even had a three leaf clover group. I generally run 165gr Hornady's or sometimes 150's. With handloads the GSR is a solid MOA performer.

Love it or hate it I reckon its a pretty good thing :)
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

go a Tikka, slick as goose sh!t. No mods needed.
Mulga
.222 Remington

Post by Mulga »

andrewk wrote:go a Tikka, slick as goose sh!t. No mods needed.
So how do you get a forward mounted red dot on a Tikka without mods?
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

why do you need to forward mount it?
Mulga
.222 Remington

Post by Mulga »

andrewk wrote:why do you need to forward mount it?
Improved field of view.