I can't wait to get my 17 WSM

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

I can't wait to get my 17 WSM

Post by kjd »

Still no word as to when they will be available here but I can't wait to get it. check this out:
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-sh ... st-rimfire
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Re: I can't wait to get my 17 WSM

Post by mick_762 »

They look impressive, will be damn interesting to see some hunt reports and range reports.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

mick_762 wrote:They look impressive, will be damn interesting to see some hunt reports and range reports.
Hopefully I'll have the first review in the country as I've already ordered mine.

I think as long as the ammo price stays down and that the thing is accurate it will quickly become one of my most used rifles.

Now to figure out what is the perfect fox hunting scope to put on it?

Am thinking a 4.5-14 but I'm worried that 4.5x isn't low enough magnification for daytime calling.
I am also thinking as to what obj? 50mm maybe for better light transmission of a night?
Maybe I should just get a 4-12x50?
What do you guys think?
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

hay Keith,

Ive got a 4-12 x 40 On my 17 HH, im pritty happy with it so far was nearly going to go a 6-18 the same as on my other two rifles to keep things the same but the 4-12 dose what i need it to , the 3-9 on my 17 HMR is about all it needs. so i recon your on the money with what your looking at
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Good one Keith, can we try it as well, not that Im that interested in another s,all 17 cal, but if I can borrow it from someone and wear their barrel out, now that would be fun. :twisted:

Ive got Conquest 4.5 - 14 x 50 AOs on my rifles I use for work. I dont get much daytime shooting in. I dont seem to have much trouble seeing rabbit heads in the scope that are just off the bullbar when set on 8 power. I have it focused at 30m
cyclone
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by cyclone »

how much$$$?
17 wsm
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

kjd wrote:Still no word as to when they will be available here but I can't wait to get it. check this out:
Just received my new Nioa catalog and they have it listed. Still, no idea when it will be available.

As an aside, I was happy to see the Ruger Scout will come with a choice of finishes with and without flash hiders.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

The Raven wrote:
kjd wrote:Still no word as to when they will be available here but I can't wait to get it. check this out:
Just received my new Nioa catalog and they have it listed. Still, no idea when it will be available.

As an aside, I was happy to see the Ruger Scout will come with a choice of finishes with and without flash hiders.
Yeah there are a few different models now, good luck trying to get one though. there are hundreds on back order with no date as to when we will be getting them from the last time I looked.

Cyclone,

The Savage BMag will be around the $500ish mark from memory.

Ammo is looking to be under the $20/50 mark.
cyclone
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by cyclone »

nice thanks
fenring

Post by fenring »

I would put a decent 4.5-14 side focus or AO on that rifle. Side focus will of course let you mount lower too. I have shot some pretty close foxes with the 4-12 on my HMR.

The LGS manager told me the other day that ammo will be about $30 for 50 to start with.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

fenring wrote:I would put a decent 4.5-14 side focus or AO on that rifle. Side focus will of course let you mount lower too. I have shot some pretty close foxes with the 4-12 on my HMR.

The LGS manager told me the other day that ammo will be about $30 for 50 to start with.
Geez, I just looked at the prices. For one box with no bulk discount we'd likely be selling them for around $20-$23/50

Maybe I'm doing something wrong in the calculation but I don't think so.

Yeah a 4.5-14 does seem the goods.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

Keith, I've had 2 leupold vx3's in 4.5x14; one was a 1" tube with a 50mm objective lens (and I sold it for a reason) and I still have my 30mm tubed 40mm objective scope.

I'm told its the larger tube diameter that transmits the most light as there are a number of lenses in there for light to pass through and its not so much the size of the objective that makes the difference. this came from an old german man who worked for Zeiss in his younger years, still refurbs scopes now.

the difference between these two scopes was huge under the red filter while spotlighting. I struggled with the 1" 50mm scope and that's why it got sold. A 30mm tube and a 40mm objective got the light transmission and a lower scope cheek fit.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

andrewk wrote:Keith, I've had 2 leupold vx3's in 4.5x14; one was a 1" tube with a 50mm objective lens (and I sold it for a reason) and I still have my 30mm tubed 40mm objective scope.

I'm told its the larger tube diameter that transmits the most light as there are a number of lenses in there for light to pass through and its not so much the size of the objective that makes the difference. this came from an old german man who worked for Zeiss in his younger years, still refurbs scopes now.

the difference between these two scopes was huge under the red filter while spotlighting. I struggled with the 1" 50mm scope and that's why it got sold. A 30mm tube and a 40mm objective got the light transmission and a lower scope cheek fit.
Mate I would be inclined to disagree with you this time. Tube diameter only determines the amount of elevation and windage and has little to do with light transmission.

Having more glass to collect the light on the objective makes sense. What possible advantage is the larger objective if it isn't the prime factor in transmitting light?

If the obj lens had nothing to do with it then we would just have 25mm or 30mm objectives. Also if it was tube diameter than why aren't we seeming 34mm/40mm tubes as standard? It makes no sense that tube diameter has anything to do with light transmission.

I wonder if the difference in light transmission is that you have a better cheek weld to the stock on the 40mm or the 50mm obj VX3 was before they improved the optics on them and the 40mm tube was after they had improved it?

It has always been my understanding that tube size is only for windage/elevation adjustment and the OBJ is the main part in determining light transmission.
fenring

Post by fenring »

At night you are lighting your target up with a light anyway - correct?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Can I chuck a couple of observations that Ive seen re the tube/objective sizes,
I have an older model Kahles 6x42 with 26mm tube, as well as an older model Tasco Euroclass, the japanese made one, it is also 6x42, but with a 30mm tube, guess which one is brighter ? Compared side by side in the same day light conditions the Tasco shit all over the Kahles, to my eyes anyway, both were focused for my eyes, at night shooting in low light the Tasco still won, but not by as much. I came to the conclusion that during the daylight the Tasco was better only because of the 30mm tube, Im not saying the Tasco was a better scope than the Kahles, but to my eyes it was a big difference. Someone else may be entirely different. Both were used by me for my rabbit shooting. I changed to a conquest because it had the side focus, as the others had bad paralex at the ranges I shoot at, i.e. less than 50metres