Brno Model 2

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Re: Brno Model 2

Post by LoneRider »

i know a bloke with one in pristine original condition,stripped and wrapped in rags.
what did you pay for it originally mate ?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Yeah :D :D Much better mate, it came up looking pretty good, you must be happy. If you are looking for ammo that seems to shoot well in most Brno mod 2s Ive had anything to do with, try some winchester superspeeds, if you can find any, especially the older ones that had the small "H" stamped in the bottom, even the powerpoints that I generally use go pretty well in most of them.
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

Just read back through this thread and realized that I hadn't thanked Camel and Stinkitup :oops: Thanks for the bits fellas!

I have run some of the new grey box 40gn and 42gn Powerpoints through it, some Bushmans and some Lazers. The 42gn Powerpoints and Bushmans seemed best, however after shooting a few groups I noticed that the scope had horrendous parallax so have been checking out some options. The 2-7x35 Vortex Diamondback rimfire looks like a possibility. I have an old Japan made Tasco 4x40 that might get transferred across from the old Voere .22 in the meantime.

I used a different approach in this stock refinish - while it used Tru-oil, I read in an excellent thread on the Rimfirecentral forum (in the CZ/Brno sticky, look for "Woodstocks variation on The Tru-oil finish") that has proven to give great results. This guy found that Armourall speeds up the drying time for Tru-oil, and that a new coat of Tru-oil can be dry in 15-30 minutes. It gives a beautiful smooth glassy finish too. The thread has something like 30 pages of replies, and a lot of nice rifle stocks.

Basic steps once the stock has been stripped, sanded and dewhiskered are:

1. Pour some of your Tru-oil into a wide mouthed, squat jar.

2. Working on a portion of the stock at a time (I did each side of the butt and the forearm separately -three sections), squirt on some Armourall, wipe it over the stock with your hand to evenly coat.

3. Dip just the tips of one or two fingers into the Tru-oil, and rub over the Armourall on the stock to mix. Rub the mix vigorously into the stock with the palm of your hand to create some heat - the heat seems to get the reaction going. Very soon the stock will start to feel glassy and slick to touch.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 above on the adjacent area on the stock - it blends into the already finished section OK. I tended to do both sides of the butt then let hand to dry for an hour, then did the forearm.

5. If the stock remains sticky, or the finish looks like orange peel, you have used too much Tru-oil. This can sometimes be redeemed by adding more Armourall, otherwise sit aside to dry and buff back with fine steel wool and try again.

I found that I could get 5-6 coats on in a day in between doing other work around the farm.

Marcus
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Good onya Marcus, Ill give that method a try when Im doing my next stock, which should be in the next few weeks.
davegh2o
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x47L ai

Post by davegh2o »

I like the timber in the picture above
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

Very nice Mod 2 mate, they are a beautifully made little 22 for sure - definitely worth owning. Mine seems to like the 40gn Powerpoints (orange box) which I think now has been replaced by the 40gn black box Power Points, which it seems to shoot well and it even loves the sub version of the Black Box Power Points too.

I too worked the trigger (Lowey trigger kit) and it really made a difference to the trigger and the ease of which the bolt can be closed now is fantastic, a mod well worth doing for those who own them, takes about 10mins if that.

Here's a pic of mine - 1986 version Mod 2E with a Jap Tasco 4x40 (top little piece of glass).

stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Glad to see that it came up well and the trigger kit was a help.

Yours has obviously had some work done, didn't notice it originally with the removal of the rear sight and barrel shortened. I would like to do the same and bed the action but to be honest it puts the old winnie subs into small little groups so haven't bothered. Who knew a spring and tube could make a trigger so much better ha?

Scott yours is a nice mod2, and I just run a 4x40 and find it great on the little 22.
Ryan
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

stinkitup wrote: Who knew a spring and tube could make a trigger so much better ha?

Scott yours is a nice mod2, and I just run a 4x40 and find it great on the little 22.
Ryan
changing the spring and shim has made mine a real pleasure to shoot - well worth the few $$$ it cost.

Yeah shes a nice little rifle to use, and I reckon the scope is perfect for a 22 been getting the job done for years for me.