I've done something silly.. Ordered a Bmag in 17WSM

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Re: I've done something silly.. Ordered a Bmag in 17WSM

Post by johno1 »

Looks like its running at around $14.00 - $18.00 in the US. Still out of stock.

I'm the biggest sceptic on ammo & reloading component price here. Unless winchester price this to get rifles out the door, I can't believe you will be able to buy at $20.00. I reckon it might run at around $28.00

Hope it works for you Keith, but look on the bright side mate. If you can afford a guided sambar hunt, money aint a problem, right? :lol: :lol:

Johno
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

220 wrote:
kjd wrote:I was skeptical about the WSM but after seeing the price of the ammo (at this stage under $20 per 50)
Are you sure the pricing is right keith? seems cheap when they were talking of trying to keep it within 10% of HMR ammo cost, I notice most of the HMR ammo on Abela's site is listed at $25-26/50.
If they can get it on to dealers shelves at 20% or more under HMR costs then I don't think you will have to worry about doing your money, there will be a lot of used HMR's for sale.

I hope your right, but I'm still sceptical it will make it on to dealers shelves at $20 and stay at that price longer term.
I can only go by what prices are on the Winchester Portal mate assuming they are accurate then my calculations are correct.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

johno1 wrote:Looks like its running at around $14.00 - $18.00 in the US. Still out of stock.

I'm the biggest sceptic on ammo & reloading component price here. Unless winchester price this to get rifles out the door, I can't believe you will be able to buy at $20.00. I reckon it might run at around $28.00

Hope it works for you Keith, but look on the bright side mate. If you can afford a guided sambar hunt, money aint a problem, right? :lol: :lol:

Johno
Haha My guided Sambar hunt is an EXTREMELY good deal and it was a once in a lifetime type of deal that I couldn't pass up.
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

Hey Kjd
What's going to be the rough price on the BMag. My cousin is quite keen he has used both my HMR and HH,he is not keen on the reloading but wants a little less noise than his 223.
We were chatting yesterday he likes the look of it on paper
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Pretty sure it falls around the $5-600 mark mate.
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

Cheers.
I'll pass it on.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

kjd wrote:Pretty sure it falls around the $5-600 mark mate.
Cheaper than most centerpiece rifles too.
zook60
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by zook60 »

andrewk wrote:
kjd wrote:Pretty sure it falls around the $5-600 mark mate.
Cheaper than most centerpiece rifles too.
I ordered a few months ago at $490.
I cant wait its going to be heaps of fun and cheap ammo :auto:
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

hey guys have not been on the forum for a while, shooting has gone by the way side for a bit but now all the crops are in i have a little extra time, whats all the fuss about this new round??? Whos making them and when will we see them sounds like an awesome round to me!!!
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Its a new 17 calibre made by Winchester using a necked down ramset case, I think it was a 27 cal ramset. Savage has made some prototype rifles, but nothing has appeared on the shelves as yet. Waiting waiting waiting. :D
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

ahhhh waiting.......hmmm il probably end up being a cheap .308 or something in the mean time ha!
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Post by johno1 »

Just to keep the pot simmering :D Reckon this is going to be a big flop.
Why on earth they brought and raved about this thing, without rifles available is strange. The 17 hornet is getting very good reviews by very experienced shooters on saubier etc. Factory CZs consistant 1/2" or better out of the box with factory ammo. These things are almost, notice almost. As good as Calhoon's 19 hornet & badger :wink:

Hornady having a few issues with primers blowing, I think they will sort that quickly. Have'nt seen many reviews on the ruger. Maybe not enough rifles out there at the moment

17 WSM, is on life support :lol: :lol:

Johno
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Got to agree with you there johno, they jumped onto the band wagon, after the band had packed up for the night. I cant see much use for it as its sitting right in between the 17hmr and Hornady Hornet, bit like Remington did with their 5mm, the playing field is just too crowded for them to make much leeway with it.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

If they can get this thing off the ground, that is manufacturers chambering for it and plenty of Ammo available it will be huge in the states.
The vast majority of people do not hand load and the prices that the ammo will be it's performance will ensure that it is successful to varmint hunters in the US.

You guys all hand load as do a lot of guys on forums but only a small fraction of the most rabid shooters get on forums.

Once these become available in quantity they will start to gain traction. It might not take over the HMR but it will outsell the 22WMR in a few years if they can actually produce guns and ammo.

The biggest Achilles heel for this was the huge panic buying in the states which made it's production not a priority.

But we shall see. There is no way a cheap 17 rimfire doing 3000fps with 20gn bullets is going to be DOA not stateside anyway.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

I'll also add that if the 17cal fails the 20 cal version that they will inevitably bring out will be a success.