Project Grendel

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Project Grendel

Post by adamjp »

A few weeks back I took delivery of project Grendel. Since then I have been working up loads, etc.

A few specs:

• Zastava m85 7.62x39 action
• B&C Stock
• PacNor 264 barrel #2 profile cut at 21inches (Johno group buy)
• BSquare one piece base
• March 3-24FFP scope (for load development - noramlly 2-7Kahles)
• Magazine capacity of three rounds, follower modified to make them feed properly (the Grendel case is based on the 7.62x39 by way of the PPC. It is longer and fatter in the body than either round).

So far I have run 140gn at 2350fps with a very mild load of AR2208.

I am concentrating development on the 100gn Nosler Ballistic tip. This is complicated as load data for the Grendel is intended for AR15 rifles in the US. With a upper limit of 50000psi these loads are quite anemic in a bolt action Grendel using Lapua brass.
• AR2206H was too slow (full case topped out at 2850fps and 30fps deviations)
• BM2 was also too slow (full case topped out at 2900fps and 25fps deviations)
• BM1 is looking good with a good load delivering SD of 6fps, and ES of 12fps.

Looking forward to laying my hands on some powder sold as IMR 8208XBR in the USA. It is exceptional for this cartridge.

More to follow on this one now that I have changed scopes. Accuracy was annoying with two shots together, the next 3/4 of an inch away. I realised that the problem was parralax from the hunting scope on a target at 100m. If I could afford it, I'd leave the little March on there as it fits perfectly.

Waiting for the next run of bolt knobs to be done so I can fit a knob on this action too. Making that little bolt handle longer really improves the functioning of these little actions.

Probably going to buy a Basner stock for it as this B&C is heavier than I was looking for. The B&C will be for sale when that happens.

When it stops bloody raining I will Cerakote the whole lot.

I have a reamer and go/no-go gauges for a bolt action optimised version of the Grendel cartridge. Available for rent with conditions.
Attachments
Grendel.jpg
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Re: Project Grendel

Post by andrewk »

Very nice. i like it.
doidge5781
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by doidge5781 »

Just finished my build on a zastava action, A&B barrel shooting 120gr sierra pro hunters over 22.0 gr of 2207 = shit hot, got bolt knob off adamjp,and boyds laminated stock courtesy of adamjp as well,took it out and shot the below group while running in the barrel, gun is at the smith's getting stock finished atm. Fun gun to shoot plenty of punch with little recoil

download.jpg
(2.67 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

G'day mate, just a question on the stock, had it been factory inlet or did you get it done. I am doing a build on Zastava action in the near future as was just wonderin ? Looks like it shoots pretty good.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

doidge5781,
Which A&B profile are you running. damn those A&Bs shoot hideously well for budget barrels! 6.5-06 ... here I come!
Cheers...
Con
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

Camel wrote:G'day mate, just a question on the stock, had it been factory inlet or did you get it done. I am doing a build on Zastava action in the near future as was just wonderin ? Looks like it shoots pretty good.
The B&C stock is a factory inlet.

The laminate that doidge is using is also a factory inlet by Richard Microfit.
doidge5781
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by doidge5781 »

Con wrote:doidge5781,
Which A&B profile are you running. damn those A&Bs shoot hideously well for budget barrels! 6.5-06 ... here I come!
Cheers...
Con
From memory its the f34 about 18-19mm at the muzzle, there is only 2 types listed on the shooters sight from memory
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

adamjp wrote:
Camel wrote:G'day mate, just a question on the stock, had it been factory inlet or did you get it done. I am doing a build on Zastava action in the near future as was just wonderin ? Looks like it shoots pretty good.
The B&C stock is a factory inlet.

The laminate that doidge is using is also a factory inlet by Richard Microfit.
Thanks for that mate, was gunna wait for a Boyds in jun/july, do you have a stock number for the Richards please.
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

No. The stock doidge has is a 102 Classic with a Mini Mauser inlet.

The way Richards Microfit works you will be waiting a fair while. If Boyds are doing a run of that inlet in Jun/July you will have a Boyds in your hand well before Richards get around to making your stock.

The stock on my 6mm PPC is a Boyds thumbhole (same action), there are photos here somewhere. My 6/223 is a Richard Microfit in the Classic 102 style (also photos here somewhere).
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Good on ya, thanks for thast mate.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

is there a specific niche it fills or is it "because I can" (which is of course a perfectly valid reason)
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

Trevor,

The Grendel rifle is intended for my children. Lightweight, little recoil and plenty of punch.

From a power perspective the little action and 21inch barrel is equivalent to a full house 257 Roberts. My Roberts Featherweight launches a 100gn bullet at 2850fps ad there is no more to be got from the 22inch barrel. To do this the Roberts weighs 7lb 10oz (and that is a Featherweight rifle of the 1980s with a lightweight 6x scope) and is quite long. I could cut some weight off it with a lightweight composite stock, possibly even bring it down to just over 7lb, but I cannot make it shorter.

The Grendel loads in a bolt action are equivalent to 6.5x55 loads in a m95 Swede!

Whilst the little Grendel is heavy in the B&C stock, in the new stock it will be under 7lb with a 2-7 Kahles scope. Short, light and enough grunt for deer, goats and pigs.

So yes, it fills a niche, but is also representative of the current state of firearms development. Little rifles with little cartridges can replicate full size cartridges and rifles from 80 years ago. In this context I did it because I wanted to. I like working with small cartridges as I know that for all the fluff and hoorahh that is put out, most game animals are shot at ranges less than 200m - a 30/30 is quite capable at that range if you really want to get down to it.
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Post by johno1 »

Adam, thought i'd kick start this again. If there are updates in another thread, then ive missed it. Have you done anymore with the rifle and loads.

Definately not got to do anymore builds :wink: But I reckon on the CZ 527 or Zastava 85, this would have be close to the best little all rounder you could find. Keep in mind i'm a little slow, still think the 250-3000 is bees knees :lol:

The other thing that keeps going through my mind is that I do see a day, when the number of firearms we can own will be reduced. Soooo
19 badger :D
5.7 johnson ( 22 spitfire ) :?:
6.5 grendel :?:
358 win :D

Love my rem 700 classic in 250. but the first three I mentioned are all genuine short action rifles.

Johno
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

Johno,

The barrel I got from PacNor in the group buy that you organised was stuffed and they are replacing it at the moment.

The new barrel should be fitted up by Australia day and THEN I'll be in a position to comment on how good this little cartridge is. Load work with the old barrel showed that 3000fps with a 100gn NBT was quite possible (although stiff).

In the Basner stock the whole rifle weighed in at 6.5lb with scope.
Attachments
Grendel 3.jpg
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

adamjp,
How does the Grendel shape up to the 6.8SPC in regards to case capacity? How'd a 6.5SPC run?
Cheers...
Con