6br Thoughts

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Engnir
Favourite Cartridge: 270Win

6br Thoughts

Post by Engnir »

I have been doing extensive research on the best possible way to build a
6br in an all round varminter setup, with a total cost including scope of around $2500.
I want to use 70grain Noslers down the tube.

After finding it near impossible to buy a second hand Remmington 700 BDL short action, I have come to two possible
conclusions.

1) Buy a new Stainless SPS 700 rifle in .243 & use the action as a starting platform. = $950 + Transfer etc.
1a) Use a H-S Synthetic stock (Second hand)= $180
1b) Buy a Maddco No. 7 Profile 6br Stainless Barrel with 1 in 12 twist. =$750 Fitted to action.
The above cost comes to $1880 + Scope, rings etc....but I could sell the SPS Stock & Barrel for $250 which brings the
cost down to $1630.
This would be without the mods required to make the 6br feed & with the standard Remmy Trigger, although with a shit hot barrel that would be
pretty much a garanteed shooter.

2) Buy a new Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision in .243W. This is a blued 1 in 9.25 twist, heavy profile barrel with H-S Precision Stock, Target Accutrigger
& 4 round detatchable box mag. Looks nice on the Savage Website. =$1525 + Transfer etc.
2a) Re-chamber Barrel to 6br & re fit to Savage Action. =??????? cost by gunsmith.
2b) Modify standard mag. to feed 6br round.
This would mean that I would have a ~25" fluted carbon barrel (after mods) with probably the best production trigger availiable (adjustable down to 6oz) but with no real garantee of a good shooter or being able to feed the rounds through. Although most threads say the the single shot precision varminter shoots extremely well.

I personally like the looks of the Savage & action/bolt handle, so I guess Im writing this to talk myself into buying it, but would still
appreciate others thoughts for this project.

Dean
doidge5781
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Re: 6br Thoughts

Post by doidge5781 »

Another option is to use an omark for $100-200 spend $400 on a sh#t hot stock insert barrel of choice plus smithing charges $900 maximum spend rest on scope.

This is mine soon to be a .204 so i had to buy adaptor and .223 bolt face as it stands with the vx-3l it owes me $2300 take off $300 for the adaptor and bolt head conversion.

doidge5781
.222 Remington

Post by doidge5781 »

Another option is a howa stainless .243 barreled action about $700 in a bell and carlson tactical stock $400 Glen Coughlan trigger $70 smithing $250 plus $1000 on scope and rings

http://www.snipercentral.com/scriflepac ... ackageid=1
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day all,
you could look for a second hand Rem700 BR rifle in 6ppc, they usually have a 1"14T, cut it back about 1/2" and rechamber to 6BR this should remove the ppc chamber and open up the bolt face to suit the BR case.
* The 1:14T will shoot 70gn bullets
* They can be had for around $900-$1200. I recently bought a 40XBBR single shot 6ppc BR rifle for $900, but it needs a new stock (in the cupboard for $80-) but it will make a nice little varminter/club gun
* They have already been trued up so "should" no need extra work on the action.

Just make sure they do not have an aluminium sleeve on the action, also if you removed the glued on stock you can sell it, remove the glued in feed ramp from the magazine cut out, add a recoil lug, bottom metal and away you go.

Meanwhile, save your pennies for a barrel you can fit later on.

Also if you intend to feed it as a single shot, leave it in the stock it came with and you will have a rifle that is a switch barrel set up., use the short ex ppc barrel as a ute barrel and the longer barrel could be used as a longer ranging barrel with heavier bullets, consider a 1:9T or even 1:8T

Also look on used guns as you may find one there as well as 6BR rifles in good nick, but try not to buy sight unseen, certainly you will get an idea of prices but some are way off the mark. A new build BR rifle on a Rem action should be around $3-4000 if you go that way and some second hand rifles are more expensive than that! Also contact Peter Van Meurs at Pro-cal as he may have actions and suitable used ex target rifle barrels available, even do the build work. His customer service is second to none, as others on this site will testify.

Check out http://ozfclass.com/phpBB2/viewforum.ph ... 7777aaf60f as you can sometimes find a 308 Omark here as a donor action, they are basically a 3 lug "Remington" single shot but I'm not sure how "interchangeable" they are but they certainly are a excellent donor action for you project.

Hope this helps and good luck you WONT regret it! :wink: :D

Cheerio Ned
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

I bought a 308 SPS varmint in left hand not long ago. Put it in a McMillan stock and set it up for AI mags. Its darn accurate ie 1/2 to 3/4MOA at 100m pending on my performance at shooting it. Point of telling you this is that you may be served well by a brand new 243 SPS varmint or varmint stainless, re chamber for 6BR, do the mag feed adjustment and true the action while at it. Stocks for remington short actions are pretty easy to come by from the regulars like HS precision, McMillan and Wild Dog. This way you arent up for a new barrel straight away. Remingtons are great platforms for rifle builds and plenty of parts are available for them.

You could also do the same with a savage and you probably wouldnt need to worry about replacing the stock as they arent too bad from factory.

Doing this you might have a bit more to play with come time to find a scope for it.
Engnir

Post by Engnir »

Thanks heaps for the reply's.

1) I want this rifle to be a repeater
2) I have a H-S stock already, so hopefully I can use it to save a few bucks.

I like the idea of buying a remmington varmint rifle & re-chambering to 6br. I will be looking into this option. How much does one cost?
(Still like the looks of the Long Range Precision Though) Check it out on the savage website under Target Rifles

Cheers,

Dean
doidge5781
.222 Remington

Post by doidge5781 »

Most smiths will charge about $200-300 for reaming a chamber not including things like bedding and floating if needed, getting the BR to feed in a standard floorplate mag will take some doing the easier option is to get a lumley DBM and AI mag and put a mag block in the back so you can add another $350 to the price tag. Having owned a 6br varmint rifle on a rem 700 using a 1-14"twist loading single rounds i never found that i would like a second shot in that much of a hurry to warrant the extra cost of a dbm set up and with the price of lapua brass i certanly didn't want to spitting them out all over the shop
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

The savages LRPV's are heavy- I think the one you are thinking of is anyway. Wifecallsmegrumpy had one and it was a bit of a pain to lug around, even on the back of a ute.

I paid $1400 for my left hand remmy SPS varmint. Thats WA and left handed prices too. Have a good look at a few places and see what you can get. If you have the stock now then you are sorted. Your basically up for the rifle and a bit of smithing to get it all working. Should have enough for that and a nikon buckmaster 6-18x40 or a weaver V 6-24x42 or even one of the SIII Sightrons. Buying from TOZ is pretty cheap. If you can, speak to a smith to see if they will quote you for the work- re chamber, basic action true, trigger and mag feeding plus bedding into the new stock. I would guess that you should have at least $500 to spend on a scope, if you could get the rifle for around $1300 that is.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

My questions
1 Why 6BR ,why not 6x47L ,6XC ,6/250 or 6250AI anyone of these will feed no worries and velocity should be 300-400 fps more than the BR with 70 grainers

2 Why Remington, Jasonf has looked into this and a Pierce action can be bought here in Aus for not much more than your donor sps.Factor in the cost of trueing up the Rem, a light weight fireing pin ,tactical/larger bolt knlob and the custom action looks even more appealing
1kshot
.204 Ruger

Post by 1kshot »

Mate Trevor had a very nice VLP for sale in 243 at one stage, dont know if its gone or not...check in the for sale section, it would be a perfect platform and as its already a 6mm you could just chop and change the barrel use it up then rebarrel later :wink: I get about .5 out of THE OGRE, Pat's (RIP) 595 in 6br and that is only running a sporter weight barrel and spits 87 vmax's out like grenades when they hit something and is good to 4-500 mtrs and probably further if I had the opportunity and time to spend with it :rifle:

All the best
John
Engnir

Post by Engnir »

MISSED wrote:My questions
1 Why 6BR ,why not 6x47L ,6XC ,6/250 or 6250AI anyone of these will feed no worries and velocity should be 300-400 fps more than the BR with 70 grainers

2 Why Remington, Jasonf has looked into this and a Pierce action can be bought here in Aus for not much more than your donor sps.Factor in the cost of trueing up the Rem, a light weight fireing pin ,tactical/larger bolt knlob and the custom action looks even more appealing
I like 6br because of is efficiency. 30grains of powder in a short fat case. Only 5 grains more than my .223 uses.
It's a proven top performer in bench rest out to 600m
A mate has one set up on a reemy platform & I was impressed with it's performance on roo's & pigs a considerable ranges. (under spot light)
I want a repeater because when you get a mob off pigs it would be nice to shoot a few before they run for the cover etc.

I would rather a Savage as mentioned in the original post. No one has really commented on these though.
Has anyone got one? I'm not talking about the single shot LRPV, I want the LRP repeater that they used to offer
in 6br but now they don't for some reason. (probably feeding issues??)

The pierce action is $1170 with no Bottom metal & no trigger. The sums to set one up with the maddco barrel works out
to be ~$2800 including a timney trigger,BDL & bases etc. ++++Scope. And that's using my H-S Stock ($180)

I don't have that sort of money.

Could someone please talk to me about SAVAGES, if possible?

Dean
GregT
Favourite Cartridge: 6br

Post by GregT »

Sorry Dean, not a Savage, I have a 6BR in a Howa, it feeds perfectly from a modified 223 AI polymer magazine. If you fit a detachable mag floorplate that takes the AI mags it's very little work to get them to feed smoothly and reliably. I can't see why the same wouldn't work for any other type of action.

Edit: here's a video of mine feeding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAZ6-X5i-vo
Last edited by GregT on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Mate for savages look for a VLP as already mentioned, my brothers in 22-250 shoots very well for an out of the box rifle and is great to 500m.

Ryan
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'day Dean,
I've witnessed a factory laminated stock savage 223 1:7T shoot 75gn Amax's of a bench using a rudimentry rear bag and bipod shoot groups well under 1/2moa, the shooter was not an experienced competitor and it was bloody well amazingly consistent performer. The owner really did not appreciate the level of performance he was getting from that rifle.

So they do work, both the yanks and Brits seem to like them in F class, however check this forum, there are some very accurate tricked up howa's kicking around too.

Good luck and keep us all informed!

Cheerio Ned
Steve 2141
.17 HMR

Post by Steve 2141 »

“After finding it near impossible to buy a second hand Remington 700 BDL short action”

Hi Engnir.

There’s one for sale on “Abused Guns”

Cheers