What Rifle for a new shooter?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
DPV2010
Favourite Cartridge: .223

What Rifle for a new shooter?

Post by DPV2010 »

After searching the forums and reading alot of posts I still can not decide on what gun to get. I have been shooting for about a year now using a Pump action shotgun and a .22 single shot (yes very old!)

I mainly shoot Yorke peninsula in South Australia but will be heading to Murray bridge area this year for a bit more variety. I go after foxes and rabbits, with the occasional Roo depnding on who is with me and what gun is around.

1. I am considering what Cal to start with - 204, 223?
2. The guns I am considering are:
Remington 700 SPS Varmint
http://www.snipercentral.com/remspsv.htm
Howa 1500 with axiom stock
or now (thanks to dantheman) a Ruger M77 all weather
http://www.ruger.com/products/m77Hawkey ... odels.html
3. Then looking at a lightforce SL240 with HID and red/blue filter

Any help would be great for this new shooter!!

Thanks in advance guys :)
doidge5781
.222 Remington

Re: What Rifle for a new shooter?

Post by doidge5781 »

Howa stainless varmint in .204 will do all mentioned and does have some aftermarket goodies if you want to upgrade later, sub $1000 and away you go if you don't reload then go .223 if you do reload the .204 is the better option. Stay away from the axiom it's a POS id go to a mcmillian or manners stock if you really need to change the hogue stock
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

great first post mate,and welcome to the forum,go the 20cal...204 ruger. regards dan :rifle:
HUNTERDELUX
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .17rem and 204ruger

Post by HUNTERDELUX »

Howa stainless varmint in .204 ruger is a good choice, stay away from axiom stock as they flex, trying to get a steady rest on one with a bipod is impossible.

Cheers
Justin
DPV2010

Post by DPV2010 »

Thanks for all the replies!
I think i will go for the .204 so thanks for that one now only a few more choices left!
I am still getting used to all the terms so a few questions

20cal?
.204 is the caibre right?

Sounds like the Howa is the way to go, any reason for this? im not sure what the talon stock is like but i like the feel of a thumbhole pistol grip because of pistol shooting.
I did like the ruger m77 but reall want a gun the performs well over how it looks.
So Howa (rrp $995) still the better choice over the ruger m77 (RRP $1100)?

The next thing then is the scope. what zoom etc? i liked the idea of the burris eliminator RRP $1095(http://www.burrisoptics.co.uk/eliminator.html) but not sure if its all hype or for the price i can get alot better.
I wouldnt mindd an illuminated sight so i can see at night easily...

opinions?
doidge5781
.222 Remington

Post by doidge5781 »

Get a decent scope don't worry about all the hype shop here theopticzone.com a decent leupold vx3 with 50mm objective is more than enough for spotlighting,nikon monarch or vortex viper is a few others that are popular. Look at boyds gunstock website they make a thumbhole laminate stock for the howa also lightforce in SA are bringing in manners stocks for reasonable dollars.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

G'day mate,welcome to the forum my choice would be a CZ527, CRPF, detachable mag, set trigger, and huge mauser extractor, or the Ruger M77 again CRPF (controled round push feed) I'd go a 223 over a 204 for economy, unless your reloading, keep in mind if reloading you will be able to throw heavier pills at bigger game with the 223 :wink:
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

i have been very happy with my ruger,it suits my type of shooting..as for spotlight shooting i only run a 12x power scope,90% of my targets are under 200 yards.. i will pm you some links for scopes. regards dan
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

I run a 8 x 40 Tasco fixed power for shooting/spotlighting, and a Weaver Grandslam 6-20x40 fine cross hair target dot, for target shooting. :wink:
Richta
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by Richta »

G'day mate,welcome to the forum my choice would be a CZ527, CRPF, detachable mag, set trigger, and huge mauser extractor, or the Ruger M77 again CRPF (controled round push feed) I'd go a 223 over a 204 for economy, unless your reloading, keep in mind if reloading you will be able to throw heavier pills at bigger game with the 223
+1 but I'm biased like knackers :wink:
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

Richta knows a good gun when he see's one :wink:
DPV2010

Post by DPV2010 »

the gun that I have decided to get with a varmint barrel and in .223

the scope that was suggested to me was the leupold I 3-9x50
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

DPV2010 wrote:Image

the scope that was suggested to me was the leupold I 3-9x50

I'd go a bigger scope than that mate, personally up around the 20x would be better in the long run for the long shots and can be dropped back to 6x if needed for close stuff.

I've got the Zeiss 6.5-20x50 and its fantastic to use, I've got it on a 22.250 Howa HB and I've used it spotlighting no worries at all, even nailed a fox at 248m the other night! I've also shot foxes as close as 30m with it so it covers all bases so to speak, it cost around $1200 at the time (5mths ago) I have a mate who has a swarovski z6i (illuminated version) and it is great just need to keep the illumination turned right down as it makes it hard to see the target because of the brightness.

Good choice on the rifle by the way, my mate has one and loves his also, accurate, reliable and looks and feels good to use, mine is a cracker and shoots .3" groups regularly, so long as I'm doing my part that is!
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Nice choose!
Will do everything you want it to.
You can buy reasonably priced factory ammo to begin with and down the track start reloading for better accuracy.
The 204 can be expensive to run with factory ammo!

the scope that was suggested to me was the Leupold I 3-9x50
I would like to know who recommends a scope like this for a gun that is going to be used to shoot fox's and the like in a spotlight :evil:
Bigfella is right 20x is the go!
You need a reasonable amount of magnification to see a fox a 200m!!!
As I was told you can alway wind it down but you can't wind it up if you don't have it!

I use a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 on my 20cal and 6mm.
I had 2 lower powered scopes before I got the Vortex!
Save your money and buy a higher mag one first!

Good luck and enjoy!

Glenn
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Good choice... 223 all the way! When it comes down to it, near every shooter can get everything covered with a 223 and a 308, there are the few out there that shoot stuff that requires more bang!

What is your limit including rifle and scope?

There is a couple good remo's in 223 on usedguns if they are still there???

Cheers