Ruger M77 owners...any problems?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Andries
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Ruger M77 owners...any problems?

Post by Andries »

Hi all,

Heard a disturbing story today....an acquaintance has an 'all weather' model of the above, and has had some problems.

On cambering a round , sometimes the projectile is being pushed into the case.

He has also had ejecting problems, it won't eject the case...or ejects it "a million miles".

As I was considering the same rifle, I'm a little concerned!! Looks like the distributor is going to come up with a refund...but only after some considerable "down time".

Your thoughts ?
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: Ruger M77 owners...any problems?

Post by trevort »

thats the first Rugged f#$% up I've read on the net. I've heard the previous triggers were too heavy (and experienced it) and that the action is not as slick as some but they are famous for 'rugged dependability'" and strength
malcolm
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 35 Whelan

Post by malcolm »

He has also had ejecting problems, it won't eject the case...or ejects it "a million miles".. Your mate can't have it both ways. Sounds like operator error to me.
I've never had a problem with the Rugers I've owned
Cheers Malcolm
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

malcolm wrote:He has also had ejecting problems, it won't eject the case...or ejects it "a million miles".. Your mate can't have it both ways. Sounds like operator error to me.
I've never had a problem with the Rugers I've owned
Cheers Malcolm
Especially with CRF which means the faster you open or the slower you open the bolt will depend on how far the case will eject.
morten

Post by morten »

My mates .204 M77MkII does exactly what you describe, on several ocasions he has driven the projie back into the case mouth & also ejects the cases outa sight! I know of 2 other shooters that have unreliable feeding issues with their .223s.
The mate with the .204 also has an older M77 .22-250 which feeds fine.....May be the missfeed problems only occur in the smaller .223 based cases.

Mort
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

have a mate with a M77 and at times he's had feeding problems. either not picking up the round or jamming. pretty annoying when there's game in the light :?
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Post by cam_mackps2 »

You don't get those issue with a plastic fantastic :lol:
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

The only issue i have ever had is if i have done something dicky when loading the mag. Aside from that i cant fault its reliability.
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

I've had five or six rugers and never had an issue with them. They have always been super reliable. I can't think what could be causing the pill into the case issues (mechanically anyways)?? But the ejection of the cases has nothing that can go wrong with it. Being a mauser design, there's no plunger springs (post mk1 days) and the only way a case gets ejected is via a metal arm that slides through a slot cut into the bolt. It's all dependent on how hard you cycle the bolt. In fact it's my preferred method of extraction for spot lighting as it's alot easier to stop the empties going straight out the window. Tell him to cycle an empty SLOWLY and see how far the case ejects.
17MachIV
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by 17MachIV »

I have 3 rugers, a MK1 in .308 and 2 .223's, a sporter weight and a VT MK2's and my son has a VT in.204. We have never experienced any feeding or extraction problems that could be related to the gun, a couple of operator errors, certainly not the gun's fault.

Steve
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

lowndsie wrote:I can't think what could be causing the pill into the case issues (mechanically anyways)??
I can add something here. If the Ruger has been pulled apart and put back together incorrectly there will be a gap between the magazine box and the feed ramp of the action. Pull it apart, check seating of the magazine box against the action, then put the floorplate on and do it up. Front screw first, then rear screw, centre screw only tight enough to hold.

The Ruger 77 rifle is almost idiot proof (although new improved idiots are mutating every day) and is one of the best designs coming out of America. The feed issue is almost certainly a problem with the magazine box being in the rifle incorrectly. It won't feed reliably at the back as the box is not aligned, and bullet tips get caught between the box and the action causing the bullet to be pushed into the case. This is not a design or manufacturing fault. It is an assembly fault, probably by someone who is unfamiliar with how to put a rifle together.
Last edited by adamjp on Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alex1
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by alex1 »

i have a m77 mark2 and the only problem that i have ever had was a user problem. I you load the internal mag and don't seat the bullet all the back till it hits the end of the mag, it will missfead and actually bends the cassing on the bullet before the neck. :oops:
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

The only problem I've had with my Ruger is feeding Speers with the big hollowpoints...every other bullet feeds fine.

Steve
luke5381
Favourite Cartridge: 25/303,22-250,12ga

Post by luke5381 »

i have the MKII VT and had the same issue as adam was reffering to i pulled the standard trigger out and put a rifle basix trigger in and didnt put the internal magazine back in propperly took me a while to figure out what i had done but eventualy sorted it out other than that i cant fault it and any other problems ive had are due to user era
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

andrewk wrote:have a mate with a M77 and at times he's had feeding problems. either not picking up the round or jamming. pretty annoying when there's game in the light :?
[quote="adamjp]The Ruger 77 rifle is almost idiot proof (although new improved idiots are mutating every day) and is one of the best designs coming out of America. The feed issue is almost certainly a problem with the magazine box being in the rifle incorrectly. It won't feed reliably at the back as the box is not aligned, and bullet tips get caught between the box and the action causing the bullet to be pushed into the case. This is not a design or manufacturing fault. It is an assembly fault, probably by someone who is unfamiliar with how to put a rifle together.[/quote]

haha, might have been the idiot using the rifle then, fairweather hunter! :lol: