ZKW 465

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Re: ZKW 465

Post by Sam Walker »

K it. Don't buy std dies, K it eventually, and then buy K dies as well . Headspace can be checked/corrected/optimised when K'ing and all will be good as long as the barrel isn't rooted. While the gunsmith has it I would get him to recrown too - cheap and no harm done if it doesn't need it, a lot of hassle avoided if there's a little nick in the crown that you might not see easily
Aussie steve
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: ALL of 'em

Post by Aussie steve »

I wouldnt bother shooting it as a std hornet, I'd get it done to .17 ackley. I have broken 3800 fps with 20gn bullets and AR2205, and get 3400 fps with 25's. I have also used Alliant 2400 to get the 20's doing 3150fps for shootng rabbits in close without smashing them to bits. As far as I know M98 triggers will work on the little hornets, mine has a single trigger though I am not sure if its a M98 or not. If a brno model 1 trigger will work Bob DeVries makes triggers for them that from memory are adjustable.

Steve

PS if you do go for the .17, grab a 1:9 barrel, so you can shoot the 25 Vmax's if you ever want to.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

I dont own one but know a bloke who has a .17AH,making brass can be a bit of a pain............................but the results are much the same as Aussie Steve said...................pretty impressive :) .
I have had a ZKW in std .22 Hornet and the accuracy wasnt that bad but compared to a decent retubed .17 AH it was shite.

Regards Chris.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Well I had a lazy day today and took a drive to look at the little Brno.Until today I had only seen a phone photo.Apart from a baby poo brown stock I was pleasantly surprised.
IMG_1441 (Small).JPG
(46.13 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
IMG_1442 (Small).JPG
(47.29 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
IMG_1443 (Small).JPG
(39.48 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
I think after a bit of elbow grease the stock colour will improve.Every thing is covered with "Singer" sewing machine oil :o as it has been a safe queen for a few years.The rifle came with 100 odd cases some reloaded and others new factories.
Anyway I got onto a 17 cal take off barrel fairly cheap but I think I may "k" it and shoot the baby Speers until the need for speed overtakes me
Cammo
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .17 Hornet

Post by Cammo »

Hi

I have a Browning A Bolt in.22 Hornet and am impressed with it as is. Keep it as the small quiet centrefire between the 22 magnum/17hmr and the larger varmint centrefires.

Regards
Gunnie
Favourite Cartridge: 257RobertsAI

Post by Gunnie »

Mate, stick with the rifle in it's original configuration. As some have said the ZKW465s are getting bloody hard to find in good, unaltered condition. One in VGC to excellant condition is worth over $1K these days.
I wanted one for years and finally managed to score one last year. It's an early 60's manufacture and unfortunately has had the fore-end checkering almost entirely removed :evil: Why, I'll be stuffed if I know as it ruins the rifle IMNSHO. So now I'll be speaking to Darryl Stevens to have it re-cut to restore the rifle to original.
Mine does have one issue with the bore, there is what looks to be a small section of pitting. I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet so don't know how it will perform. I hope the pitting isn't too problematic but if it is then I will have to consider re-barreling the ZKW with either a bbl from someone customising their ZKW to another calibre or have a bbl turned to the same profile and fittings.
I do have a BRNO Fox Mod2 also and am still at odds what to do with it. I love the classic lines and look of the stock but am uncertain as to what calibre I want with it. I have a custom Martini in K-Hornet already so its not really sensible to have it re-chambered to K. Though I am interested in the Toranah version spoken of above.

PS: after seeing the pics of it, you would be amiss doing anything other than restoring the stock. It looks bloody good as is. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. If it doesn't then I'd consider having the headspace looked at as there are differences in rim thickness and have the muzzle re-crowned.
Cheers
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Mate thank you for the reply,I am going to restore the stock and leave it as standard.but I have a 22"K" Hornet barrel unknown brand ready to fit up to your little BRNO.
Gunnie
Favourite Cartridge: 257RobertsAI

Post by Gunnie »

Missed: managed to get to the range on Monday just past. Had some reloads I'd made up to use in my custom Martini cadet K-Hornet to form some brass. From memory they loads were 40gn HP's over 10gn 2205. These shot a near 2" group @100M. I also had some factory Highland 45gn SP's which shot a slightly tighter group. Actually it put 4rds into just under an inch with a flyer to blow the size out.
Am thinking the issue in the bore just forward of the chamber may not be such an impost on the accuracy of the rifle. When I'm not stuffing round with 20-odd other rifles and loads, I'll sit down and try some load development for the ZKW465. Might see if those 33gn TNT HP's are any good in it.

As for the Model 2 Fox well, I am more inclined to have it turned into a custom rig. Even though these are now in effect collectors pieces too seeing as they are no longer made. But from what I've gleaned off the web the 17AH in a nice tight front locking bolt action, performs out of all sight for the size of the cartridge. :shock:

Food for thought :twisted: