2015 BUFFATHON - Take 2

Read here often for site updates and other Site related news.
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

2015 BUFFATHON - Take 2

Post by Buffy »

This offer is open to up to 20 Active AV members. You are welcome to bring your kids, provided they meet the below listed requirements in the "Ground Rules" section of this post.

WHERE
The BUFFATHON will be held roughly 2 hours from Katherine NT. The hunting property is roughly 250km x 250km consisting of everything from swamps, wetlands, paperbark forests, open country and creeks. The closest hospital is Katherine, some 250km + away.

DATES
The best time in my opinion, is September through to December. So for starters, we will plan the BUFFATHON for mid to late September. It will be held for a 5 (five) hunting day period, this does not include travel time from Darwin to Katherine. 5 days should be more than enough time for each member to shoot a buff (providing they can shoot straight 8) )...... This date/month could be changed depending on my work schedule, which I should know well in advance.

TRAVEL
Both modes of travel can be accommodated (Self drive and Air). I am happy to do shuttle runs from Darwin airport to Katherine in my vehicle. My vehicle can seat Myself +6 passengers. Remember, from Darwin to Katherine is a 320km drive, so I wont be just picking up people willy nilly as it would take me days to get you all to Katherine. If you are going to take up this option, you will be required to split the fuel costs with the group you are traveling with. Alternatively, you are welcome to hire a 4x4 from Darwin airport and car pool, splitting the cost and probably making it fairly cheap.

self drive: If you are one of these guys (like I am) and dont mind a road trip, this is for you ;) ...... People are most welcome to drive themselves up as a group and are encouraged to do so providing they are coming in a 4x4. Having a few guys bringing their own cars would be very advantageous as it will be a lot easier to get everyone out to the hunting grounds once you all arrive in Katherine.

ACCOMMODATION
The "Guides" are more then welcome to stay at my place in the lead up to the hunt as well as a day or two after, it would be my pleasure to have you guys stay with us.

The first day arriving in Katherine, you will be required to book into a hotel or some other form of accommodation. This will let us get everyone together for a couple of cold ones at the local watering hole and do some meet and greets as well as making sure everyone is present and accounted for before heading out to the hunting grounds.

Whist Hunting: Accommodation whist hunting will be 11x11 tents with stretchers for the blokes that flew up. For the guys that drove, you are welcome to bring whatever tents you want or you can stay in one of the tents provided.

GUIDES
I have asked a couple of selected members off the forum to help me with the guiding of you guys as I can't be everywhere at once.

These "guides" Will be taking you guys out for your hunts as well as making sure my interests in the property are protected. These fellas that I have chosen to help me out are blokes that I hold in very high regard, not only for their hunting and shooting ability, but for their common sense and ability to call a spade a spade!

So far the guides will be:
Mick762
Glenn
James270
MISSED
Ol55
Sako Sam

GAME AVAILABLE

The game on offer will be as follows: Pigs, Buffalo, Brumbies, Donkeys, Scrub Bulls, Cats and wild dogs.

BAG LIMITS

There will be bag limits in place for buffalo and Scrub Cattle. You are permitted to take 1 (one) Buffalo and 1 (one)Scrub Bull per hunter for the duration of the trip. If you wound a buff or scrubba, its up to you to track it, and finish it. If you cant find it but it is confirmed to be hit, bad luck. Choose and shoot Wisely!

The rest of the animals mentioned are fair game, shoot on sight as many as you can hit!

GROUND RULES

I make no apologies if the below mentioned rules seem blunt or harsh. If you don't like them, don't come. Simple!

1. There are to be NO loaded firearms in camp and firearms are to be stored in a bag with the bolt/action open with an empty magazine.

2. No alcohol is to be consumed until all firearms are packed away for the night, NO exceptions!

3. Once the first alcoholic drinks are cracked, there is to be no firearms played with. Not even for show and tell.

4. You are not to leave the camp surrounds hunting on your own, you must have one of the guides with you.

5. you are not to leave camp for a hunt unless you have a camelback or drink bottles containing at least 2L of water.

6. Respect the property and the property owner, If you bring rubbish in, you take it out!

7. Listen to your guides, they are just doing the job that I asked them to do. They have everyone's safety and well being to look out for not just their own. They will know more than you about the area and the best ways to do things. If they pull you up on something its probably because I told them to, don't go off at them..... At the end of the day, the guides decision is final!

8. Children under the age of 16 are to be supervised at all times, No exceptions!!!! The NT is a very unforgiving place, getting lost out there is a real danger! Not to mention everything up there wants to kill you!

WHAT SHOULD I BRING

Feel free to bring whatever rifles you like, I do not personally have a "minimum caliber" restriction on hunting buff, but remember, if you hit it and it runs away...... bad luck! Projectile choice is key, In the first instance I would suggest something like Barnes TSX, Hornady GMX, Rem Core Lokt, Accubonds or ACP Sidewinders. Bring a rifle you shoot well over a cannon that you shoot poorly, also, A low powered scope will make life much easier on running game at very close ranges. The trusty 303brit and 308win have taken more buffalo in this country than any other, remember that!

I suggest bringing at least 100 rounds for your main hunting rifle.

WATER: Water is key out there! Make sure you have a camelback or water bottles
Sunscreen
HAT
cool clothes (bimbo, not cool as in cool dude shorts) like shorts and light T-shirts. Bring a jumper as well because it does get chilly some nights.
Good boots, you will be putting in the miles ;)
Sleeping bag
GPS
Torch/headlamp

REMEMBER!

This is MY hunting property, not yours. Treat me and the property with respect!

I retain the right to refuse attendance to this event and I will do so at my discretion.

I don't take too kindly to idiots and I have no issue telling people if they are one. If you break the rules you will be asked to leave, no questions!

I don't believe any of the rules that I have outlined are too much to ask. I am a very easy going bloke that just likes to hunting with a good bunch of blokes. Nothing that I have asked here should be a surprise, its all common sense. I didn't have to offer this opportunity, I did it because I enjoy mate-ship and I get a kick out of taking people hunting.

Finally, I hope you guys have a great time, and I look forward to having you up in this great part of the country for a once in a lifetime hunt!

If you have any questions please post them up!

Please post below if you would like to attend and give me an idea if you would be flying or driving.

Cheers

BB
Last edited by Buffy on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: 2015 BUFFATHON - Take 2

Post by Camel »

1, flying most likely :D
dhv
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22LR

Post by dhv »

+1. Flying, unless Missed wants someone to share the fuel cost?
Last edited by dhv on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

1 flying
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

I'll be flying as well.
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

1, most likely flying.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Pretty fair rules BB.

As far as logistics and working out whether flying or driving (shared) works out better, do you want that discussed in this thread or another one started?
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

As I indicated yesterday please count me as a 'one'. Early September will preclude TYBs attendance.

A generous offer that is appreciated.
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by JasonF »

Count me in. Transport to be determined but possibly driving.

Thanks very much for making this happen and for setting out expectations up front so we all know where we stand.

Cheers, Jason.
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Buffy »

trevort wrote:Pretty fair rules BB.

As far as logistics and working out whether flying or driving (shared) works out better, do you want that discussed in this thread or another one started?
Trevor, feel free to organise/discuss any aspect of the get together in here. That way it's all in one place if anyone needs to reference it at a later date.

Cheers

BB
dhv
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22LR

Post by dhv »

it's looking like we should just charter a plane from Canberra! :lol:
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem