sign in help???

Read here often for site updates and other Site related news.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Re: sign in help???

Post by kjd »

Ok Try this mate maybe just maybe it will work.

Delete the saved password entry, delete the temp net files (cache) and delete your cookies then relogin in again and tick Remember me. I think it may have something to do with the saved pword entry at this stage.
gigitt
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by gigitt »

nope still snot working.

I delete cookies, and all private data including history and saved form data.
Quit Firefox.
open Firefox click on bookmark "http://www.ausvarmint.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5" and it asks me to login
Enter name and password and tick remeber me, then click login.
Lonin Sussessful and page returns with this in URL "http://www.ausvarmint.com/forum/viewfor ... ahblahblah"
Quit Firefox.
open Firefox click on bookmark "http://www.ausvarmint.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5" and it asks me to login AGAIN

No other web site does this.
You should not have to have 'sid=blahblah' in the url... that is actually bad chtml oding (I have an IT background)
I kinda know what could be happening in the background but not sure.
somehow a new SID is generated every time I land on AusVarmint from a fresh browser window and no cookies are checked on my computer to see if i have been before.

I just did a test while typing this... I am already logged in, so I open up a new windo and goto Above URL bookmark... Please Login!!! This is because a new window is treated as a new session.

Hmmm.
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

Have you tried bookmarking the "index" page and not a particular sub forum?
gigitt
.17 HMR

Post by gigitt »

Yep... but index page does not require login
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Giggit it is really hard to say what is going on as you currently seem to be the only one having this problem. Have you deleted the AV stuff in
Tools>Options>Security>Saved Passwords?
gigitt
.17 HMR

Post by gigitt »

kjd wrote:Giggit it is really hard to say what is going on as you currently seem to be the only one having this problem. Have you deleted the AV stuff in
Yep hard to figure it out.

Yep Tried deleting saved passwords.. not a fix.
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

gigitt wrote:Yep... but index page does not require login
Ummm, yes index page does. Scroll right down the bottom and you will see Username, Password and "Keep me logged in options"

If not logged in you only see -

Announcements and Help
AV Radio and TV
AV Official Articles and Reviews
AV Blogs

When logged in you see all of the above and General, Stories, Equipment, Reloading etc etc

HTH
gigitt
.17 HMR

Post by gigitt »

Simpson wrote:
gigitt wrote:Yep... but index page does not require login
Ummm, yes index page does. Scroll right down the bottom and you will see Username, Password and "Keep me logged in options"

If not logged in you only see -

Announcements and Help
AV Radio and TV
AV Official Articles and Reviews
AV Blogs

When logged in you see all of the above and General, Stories, Equipment, Reloading etc etc

HTH
Ok so it is a half truth or is it a half lie?

You can view the index without a login... but it is restricted.

All the other areas you get a different page asking you to login.

That Is what I meant.
luke5381
Favourite Cartridge: 25/303,22-250,12ga

Post by luke5381 »

im having the same problem but havent thought much about is cos i know f all bout computers just know how to type really quickly and join pieces of pipe together mine saves all my details but wont log me in automaticly im not all that worried
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

What about the cache under tools>options>advanced>network ?

Does it work fine in IE?
m12vlp
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by m12vlp »

kjd wrote:Giggit it is really hard to say what is going on as you currently seem to be the only one having this problem. Have you deleted the AV stuff in
I have this problem.

You're using cookies, that's the way it's done. It doesn't help that you have two URL's for the site. That means that you need two cookies different cookies right from the get go. One for http://www.ausvarmint.com and one for ausvarmint.kjd84.com

The cookies you're creating on our systems are not valid for every point where you try and authenticate us. When we try and access a page with one of the numerous direct url's that are available does the system check all the cookies?
gigitt
.17 HMR

Post by gigitt »

m12vlp wrote:
I have this problem.

You're using cookies, that's the way it's done. It doesn't help that you have two URL's for the site. That means that you need two cookies different cookies right from the get go. One for http://www.ausvarmint.com and one for ausvarmint.kjd84.com

The cookies you're creating on our systems are not valid for every point where you try and authenticate us. When we try and access a page with one of the numerous direct url's that are available does the system check all the cookies?
yep.

I cannot use book marks or links in email notifications... I ALWAYS have to Login. sometimes even after I login and open up another tab with another email link I have to login again... it is screwy.

The Biggest issue I have is the use of what I presume is a session id in the url "&sid="

Cookies mean nothing if you keep checking a SID!!!!
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Unfortunately that is a fundamental part of the site we started as a subdomain of another site and then bought the ausvarmint.com so without gettig a php/SQL expert to fix it it is how it has to be now!
m12vlp
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by m12vlp »

kjd wrote:Unfortunately that is a fundamental part of the site we started as a subdomain of another site and then bought the ausvarmint.com so without gettig a php/SQL expert to fix it it is how it has to be now!
I did note that the last two notifications for this thread came with the different URL's suggesting that you gave it a shot. The ausvarmint.com one refuses to work under any circumstances. The kjd one seems to work better.
gigitt
.17 HMR

Post by gigitt »

kjd wrote:Unfortunately that is a fundamental part of the site we started as a subdomain of another site and then bought the ausvarmint.com so without gettig a php/SQL expert to fix it it is how it has to be now!
Most likely some old code is hard coded with the FULL URL domain and not just the relative path.

search and replace will sort out most coding issues...
but make sure you search next then manually click replace...
BBedit on a Mac is great for this... the Search and replace feature allows you to give it a folder (physical/ftp/smb etc) and do subdirectories as well.