The rising costs in competition

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

The rising costs in competition

Post by a.JR »

Hi all, Just scared the crap out of myself when i added up the costs of shooting a heavy gun at long range .. Saw an article recently in the US stating how expensive it is to shoot now ,they were bitchin about 45 cents for powder / primer /bullet on a 6BR ,this doubled when you take in cost of case life and barrel life ,they bellowed about it gettin on towards a $1 a shot ..Well here's my costs ..
Bullet = 90 cents
primer = 7 cents
powder =61 cents
Thats $1.58,but lets put in 15 cents for cases ($300 per 100 at 20 reloads) and then $1.00 for barrel wear ($1000 lasted only 1000 rounds)
Now thats $2.73 every time i pull the trigger
Thats not to bad hey , shot 2 matchs on the weekend just gone ,cost me a cool $234.70..
I got to go have a Bex and a lie down..JR..Jeff Rogers
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Re: The rising costs in competition

Post by andrewk »

wooow! what cartridge are you running with?

i don't think you even factored in the cost of the initial set-up. rifle, smithing, optics, reloading gear and what about lisencing, membership and fuel driving to the range and back?

i feel sick :cry:
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

a.JR wrote:Hi all, Just scared the crap out of myself when i added up the costs of shooting a heavy gun at long range .. Saw an article recently in the US stating how expensive it is to shoot now ,they were bitchin about 45 cents for powder / primer /bullet on a 6BR ,this doubled when you take in cost of case life and barrel life ,they bellowed about it gettin on towards a $1 a shot ..Well here's my costs ..
Bullet = 90 cents
primer = 7 cents
powder =61 cents
Thats $1.58,but lets put in 15 cents for cases ($300 per 100 at 20 reloads) and then $1.00 for barrel wear ($1000 lasted only 1000 rounds)
Thats not to bad hey , shot 2 matchs on the weekend just gone ,cost me a cool $234.70..
G'day Jeff,

You could always come over to the 'pop-gun' Club. You would be be more then welcome :mrgreen:

We just purchased a case of R-50 (5000) for $2050.

But if you want to be competitive......

Regards

Sean
a.JR
6mm Dasher

Post by a.JR »

sean, I am gettin old ,very grey now ,not as with it as i used to be but still have enough of my faculties left to stay any from rimfires..You blokes need to be congratulated or certified,i know which one i'd pick.. Thanks for the heads up ,anyhow..JR..Jeff Rogers
Sean Ambrose wrote:
a.JR wrote:Hi all, Just scared the crap out of myself when i added up the costs of shooting a heavy gun at long range .. Saw an article recently in the US stating how expensive it is to shoot now ,they were bitchin about 45 cents for powder / primer /bullet on a 6BR ,this doubled when you take in cost of case life and barrel life ,they bellowed about it gettin on towards a $1 a shot ..Well here's my costs ..
Bullet = 90 cents
primer = 7 cents
powder =61 cents
G'day Jeff,

You could always come over to the 'pop-gun' Club. You would be be more then welcome :mrgreen:

We just purchased a case of R-50 (5000) for $2050.

But if you want to be competitive......

Regards

Sean
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

I agree jeff, it has almost got a little out of hand.I shoot nearly every weekend and my son shoots as well so its a minium of 50/60 centrefire rounds.If we double up on sundays its another 50/60.Chuck in two or three nights spotlighting.I stopped working it out a while back when the projectiles hit the 70 cent mark.When you factor in travel as well. :shock:
Still you have to have a hobby, :( :wink: :roll: .
cheers,
Macca
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

a.JR wrote:sean, I am gettin old ,very grey now.......
I have a few greys coming through myself....not certain as to whether it is caused by stress or maturity, I could do with a rinse.....

Regards

Sean
Ron Goulding
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by Ron Goulding »

Hi Sean , if your gonna rinse, go RED, If Leanne dosent like it il dance with you ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Ron
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

G'day Ron,

I think I will pass on the rinse, having thought about it a little more. One Ski season I went Ronald Red and left Red stains on the linen in the lodge. I have State Conference this weekend and now that the Conservatives are running the ALP I don't think Red would gain any support.

Regards

Sean
a.JR
6mm Dasher

Post by a.JR »

Now i am for sure sorry that i mentioned that my head had turned completely grey with time .Hell i wouldn't know what a hair color change costs ,hey now i remember this post was about gun costs .. JR..Jeff Rogers
malcolm
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 35 Whelan

Post by malcolm »

I'm going to delete this page before my wife see's it. I'm a bit of an ostrich--- I'd rather have my head in the sand than know how much my hobby is costing. A financially thinking shooter friend of mine said years ago that we should try to get a credit/ key card up and running, for shooters, which we would only use for our hobby. Whether it would be a new 4x drive ute, fuel for the shooting trip, fuel to the range, projectiles, powder, optics, gunsmithing costs, whatever--- just so we could show the government and the greenies what we spend annually,to boost Australia's economy.
We would have to spend hundreds of millions of dollars more than ping pong players---
Cheers Malcolm
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

Malcom, you certainly have a point.
I,m just glad shooting doesnt cost me as much as when I was tripping round the country doing motocross.
aJR, yep you could take up another sport, maybe motor racing, add another zero to the cost. Golf, jeeze I wouldnt have a clue, but I,m sure if you added the costs of the pimp clothes they seem to wear, clubs which get wrapped around trees, and greens fees, I,m sure it would add up. Maybe fishing, just throw in some big bucks for a boat, charters etc.
I think we could be in a worse sport.

That said, if my wife asks, a barrel cost $20 and a new scope costs $50 OK. I just dread the day when she starts reading shooting magazines and sees what my toys realy cost.
a.JR
6mm Dasher

Post by a.JR »

Hi Rod, I know full well about sport costs as i came to shooting after 30 years of motor racing ...I used to build race cars and race car engines for a living and i do get the costs difference ..In 1982 i destroyed $10 000 + worth of engine and drive train components just trying to qualify for the '82 Northern Nationals, i did not qualify ,on the spectator hill by 5.30 pm and mumbling in my beer by 8.00pm .. That said i shot 2 matchs weekend just gone ,fired 86 cartridges ,cost about $235 but that comes back down to ground after you brought up motor racing.. Golf is not an option..JR..Jeff Rogers
RDavies wrote:Malcom, you certainly have a point.
I,m just glad shooting doesnt cost me as much as when I was tripping round the country doing motocross.
aJR, yep you could take up another sport, maybe motor racing, add another zero to the cost. Golf, jeeze I wouldnt have a clue, but I,m sure if you added the costs of the pimp clothes they seem to wear, clubs which get wrapped around trees, and greens fees, I,m sure it would add up. Maybe fishing, just throw in some big bucks for a boat, charters etc.
I think we could be in a worse sport.

That said, if my wife asks, a barrel cost $20 and a new scope costs $50 OK. I just dread the day when she starts reading shooting magazines and sees what my toys realy cost.
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

My grandfather was an avid Horseman and spent his entire life trying to breed the perfect Horse to form. He was never happy. It was either too much leg, the hind quarters too large, a short neck or failing all that and looking perfect they would have a nasty temperamant.

I have seen him Dog $15,000 mares and fillies and pleaded with him to spare the lives of others. Pop was one hard old bastard when it came to breeding Horses but rest assured the only shit Horses to leave his ranch did so on the back of a dogger truck.

When I left Queensland I began work with a high profile trainer at Randwick, one of the clients was a very wealthy Oil man from the Middle East who happened to top the sale a few years ago having purchased a Danehill Colt. I think from memory he paid $1.5 Million.

I was very fond of this Colt and I was one of few strappers allowed to handle him, however, the Colt had a lazy streak and would spend his entire training routine playing with his tongue and when taking him to the Pool in the afternoons he would often rather sink then swim, on few occasions I had to pull him from the depths of the pool.

Not long after my transfer came through and I began work at Port Botany on the waterfront and I retained an interest working casually with the Vet touring around the Hunter Valley and the lower South Coast inspecting the up and coming progeny.

I later learned that the Danehill Colt that I was so fond of was also dogged a few weeks after I had left the stables. It was an absolute shame as he would have matured with a bit of age or made a nice jumper or been capable of dressage for some young teenage girl.

A few weeks later, I was offered a 16H (black) Jet Spur Colt for the princely sum of $1000. Unfortunately I never had the means to accommodate such an acquisition and so let it pass. I presume he also went to the cannery.

You want to see money, wealth and count the millions that have gone up in Smoke? Have a look into Horses.

Regards

Sean
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Sean, i could never understand why someone would ever spend so much time and money on something that has no accelerator, clutch, brake or brains. There is no doubt that motor racing is up there in the heap of most money spent with least return. But even though i have seen some huge monies wasted on race engines, some that i have built for motor cycles, there is one thing that leaves all this for dead. Boats. Boat stands for "break out another thousand" and have i seen some people shell out hundreds of thousands on re fitting or repairing some pile of dog crap that should have been sunk long ago. There never seems to be a shortage of people that walk the piers of every marina in the country looking for a project to throw shitloads of money into that i know will never be finished. There is one sitting in our yard right as of this minute. An ocean racing Cat that will need tens of thousands of dollars spent just to cut out and re finish the fibreglass cancer. Then the re fit starts.
Nothing is as expensive as boats. Over priced, over rated sea sickness inducing piles of scrap wood, fibreglass or metal.

Jethro Bodine, Loose Cannon.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

Dunno about that Tony, my 2 grand tinny is worth its weight in Gold :lol: