FClass and Sportsmanship.

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Re: FClass and Sportsmanship.

Post by RDavies »

Hiwall, as sixmill says, 99% of F class shooters are a good bunch of bokes, especialy if you are just starting out. It is probably only if you start winning alot with a flash looking rifle, that the 1% might start carrying on like grumpy old men. No one has ever been unsportsmanlike to me, but then I dont YET have a flash looking F standard rifle that I have been winning with. What caliber is the Savage? If it is not in 308 or 223, then use it in F open, you can have the wildest looking benchrest type rifle (or a standard hunting rifle for that matter) in F open and no one will bat an eyelid.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

HiWall,

Mate you can use it Fly & 1000yd BR no problem at all. I would also say try F Class the attitude varies at every club some are really good, as usual the minority cause far more trouble than there numbers deserve.

At Belmont you have the opportunity to shoot Fly a few times a year as well as regular 1k matches .. throw in a few F class shoots and you are getting a lot of good trigger time.

RDavies,
where F std rifles must use an Omark
Doesn't much matter mate .. I rock up with an Omark and win and the same thing happens because I am a BR shooter .. some folks are just dickheads and thats that.

cheers
Rinso
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day all,
F open IS FUN!, it's just the bloody politics on forums that get's me wound up!

Give it a try, most forum posters are a minority compared to the vast number of of F class shooters who just shoot and ignore the forums. They go and have fun and not treat it too seriously :D

The best part is shooting a good score in trying conditions or having a ding dong battle to stay with the pack.

Just dont get put off by the forums, find a f class match and have a go. BTW if you are a Br shooter expect a few comments to find their way back to you :roll: :wink: :lol:

cheerio Ned
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Post by Mick »

Problem is a lot of the forum posters are also decision makers for the direction of the discipline...
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

I think Ned kelly has put it best.
Give it a go.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Well said Mick. Very true in recent rules proposals.

Tony Z.
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Post by Mick »

The other forum in question has a whole new string of whiners over the last couple of days on this subject. Need a pint of concrete each IMO....
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Mick wrote:The other forum in question has a whole new string of whiners over the last couple of days on this subject. Need a pint of concrete each IMO....
I'd go a bag,you know how s**t floats sometimes.
Macca
Ben C

Post by Ben C »

Hello All,

Thanks for the congrats for those who have!

I thought I copped a bucket full of shit last year by 'some' after the Nationals, but this year it seems to be worse!! Geuss I placed a bit higher up this year - that might be part of it. I'm really getting fedup with a couple of pencil-dicks who are, in my opinion, 'embarrassing' for all F-Class shooters. They are writing letters to the NRAA (so I'm told) winging and whining and at least one of them doing more of the same on another Forum.

Anyway, enough of that.

I started shooting F-Class in Clermont about 2.5-3 years ago (where I currently live) - as I moved here for work about 4 years ago and was looking for something fun on weekends. I dicked around with clay targets for a while but that didn't really 'blow my hair back'. The Clermont Rifle Club is pretty small and at the time I started, I was the first to shoot F-Class and the Fullbore fellas thought I was a bit wierd, but as long as it didn't affect them, it was all good. So I bought a .308 Sako 75 SSHV with a Harris bipod....................and the ediction began (my misses is still wondering when I'm gonna get over it). I read everything shooting related I could get my hands on and spoke to as many reputable shooters I could - I used to drive Peter VM nuts with questions and ideas. Didn't take me long to realise that these Bench rest blokes are the crowd to learn from if I wanted to build a decent rifle, as well as reloading, front rests, etc, etc So I thought I'd enter in a Benchrest comp in Springsure (Supershoot) in an attempt to learn as much about precision shooting and reloading as possible - knowing full well I would get punished with my Sako.

After about 4 months with the Sako, I thought i'd speak to Peter VM - and between the two of us, had a rifle planned that Peter would build for me. Then the wait, it's painful - but adentually it arrived. I had also ordered a Nightforce scope but that hadn't arrived - so Nick Williamson (of Ace Arms in Emerald) was kind enough to lend me his Nightforce 8 x 32 scope - he is a top bloke. I guess I'm woffling on a bit here. But the reason for this is that I wanted to explain that I had no previous connection to Fullbore shooting or equipment - infact I was a bit confused as to why anyone would want to shoot with that gear (no insults intended).

I simply wanted to build a good F-Class Std rifle, tune it's loads, and try to become good at this sport.

So to say that I was a bit surprised at last years Nationals was an understatement - I was wondering what the hell was going on. I'm a bit wiser these days - the wingers make me train harder.

Thought you might be interested in my journey into the sport. We need some of you blokes to turn up and enjoy yourselves - if enough good spirited, reputable shooters did that, maybe, just maybe the wingers would climb back under the rock from which they came.

Regards
Ben...
sixmill
Favourite Cartridge: 6br

Post by sixmill »

Good onya Ben, maybe we could all join or local club, then take over the commitee's, & then we could rule the world :twisted: :twisted:
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Congrats on your win Ben C.
I think you'll find more people on your side then on the side of the dinosaur over on the F site.
Keep shooting well and ignore the dickheads.Have fun and keep on improving.
I wish you all the best in the future.
Have a good one,
Macca
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Well done Ben!!!

Good post, I might go now to my local F club and try when I get my new gun.
They can say what they want but your gun is legal and you won there is
no argument.

Glenn
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day Ben,
I think a bit like you, although I come from a BR background and thought I'd give F class a go, but I went to FO cause of the "closed shop" mind set in FS. Try talking to anyone shooting 500m fly and 600/1000yd BR. PVM is a good starting place for sure!

Go hard mate and let your shooting skills do the talking. :D

give 'em HELL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheerio Ned
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

I've never shot at a range before.. and I'm on your side, at least you don't sound like a crying little sook because you got beaten.. some people are just shit, if you won the lotto they'd complain that you cut in line and that the random number you got would have been theres.. you sped on the way to the shop, so its not fair.. not fair not fair..

better to come 2nd and be respected than come first on a complaint and be a wanker.
petevm

Post by petevm »

Hello All,
The best way to shut the whingers up is to ask if they also whinge about the guys in Target rifle class who have $4000+ rifles. There is a huge difference between an Omark with a 'Central' sight and the best of the modern gear!!!. Congrats to Ben for 'out-shooting' the rest of the field. Having built his rifle, I can tell you it is 100% legal and no different from others I have built - including my own. It's Ben's preparation and dedication that got him there.
Pete