1,000 yard Benchrest - Brisbane in July

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
alpal
.17 HMR

Re: 1,000 yard Benchrest - Brisbane in July

Post by alpal »

Guys (and girls)
I'm just getting started in this sport and so obviously not in "the loop" as to whats happening, and I am very competative by nature as are many others.
I agree with tony that competition is good for the sport and the only way to progress forward, and I also agree that once the blinkers are off it's every man (and lady) for themselves, but I don't understand why being competative has to be mutually exclusive from having fun?
I raced rally cars for many years in victoria and I can assure you it is one of the most competative sports out there, with the same mix of have and have-not competitors including factory teams and father and son types, yet at the end of it we all got together and had a great time talking bullshit and chewing the fat etc. round the b-b-q. We all went as hard as was possible when the flag was down yet still remained friends afterward. Am I missing something here?
Regards Alpal.
woob614271
17Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 17Rem, 22.250AI, 308

Post by woob614271 »

They call it "putting on your GAME face".
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Post by a.JR »

H
Last edited by a.JR on Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dg
25/06 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47 lapua

Post by dg »

z
Last edited by dg on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

I'm competitive natured, but I do not care where I come on the leaderboard. If I do well, well there you go, if not, I am fine with that! There is always next time.

I think that if I had the attitude of "win at all costs", I would not enjoy the sport, and hopefully give it away! Honestly, there is so many good shooters out there, the chances of winning is well contended, and if losing results in anger and disappointment, take up croquet!

RULE 10

CHeers
AI
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Trevor, those are my sentiments exactly. Rule 10.

Tony Z.
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

OK I will put my hand up and be first to admit that when I turn up to shoot it is with the intention of winning!! Not to come second, third or have a nice day, otherwise why would I spend so much time effort and money trying for anything less?? By all means believe me I am very competitive and will do all I can to win.

Having said that, if on the day I am beaten that is fine too but I didn’t turn up with that intention. I will at the end of the match shoot the breeze over a coke with other competitors congratulating them on how well they shot, discussing what could have been and having a laugh in general.

What we need to keep in perspective here is there are two aspects to shooting a match. Firstly there is the competitive act of actually shooting the match. The second is the good time you have doing so with the company you have from people with a common interest.

People come to matches which are competitive environments so they have to have the intention of doing the best they can. This may be to better their own scores or groups but there is a competitive aspect to them being there. They surely don’t throw the gun in the boot for a Sunday drive, happen across a range and think gee I might just lob a couple down range to pass the time!!

While people do not believe or think that they have the ability to win they never will. Turn up with the attitude that you can’t beat me and you won’t. It is basic psychology. The self fulfilling prophecy, believe you can’t win and you wont.

If any of the matches shot down south are like the local crew here in Townsville then ask anything of the guys at the front of the pack what they are doing to achieve their results and they will give you any information you want to improve your shooting results without hesitation. Why?? Because if you improve, the competition increases and then they have to do better so the sport overall improves.

I just today gave a fellow shooter here in Townsville a piece of gear which will probably enable him to build a gun that is going to raise the bar again. I did this because I know that he will push the envelope which in the long run will only lead to me getting better results as I try to keep up.

One final thing. If I came to a shoot and beat you please do not insult me by saying that you only turned up for a good time, ask me how I achieved what I did and I will gladly tell you.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

To the point about intimidation in 1K. The distance between the seeing and reading techniques like the short range BR guys use, to the remembering and bracketing technique used by the LR guys, is 800 yards of thin air. This 800 yards is the most intimidating portion of 1K that any shooter has to overcome. It certainly is the great equaliser in this sport and is from my experiences the one most likely to prevent most shooters from ever trying it even once. What lies on the bench at any match these days is so well displayed through the internet that the inquisitive types may not have seen one in the flesh, but the LR rifle is something that most have an inkling about. Even if it is just a tactical or snipers rifle. One thing that needs pointing out is that a Rem 700 is an equal to a BAT and vise versa, and at no time is there a situation of just throwing money into a complete setup a garantee of success. This requires knowledge, not money and knowledge requires time. This is not a walk in with a Viper in 6PPC and a Farley coaxial and in 12 months you will be competitive. This is about knowing what to look for in a load and how to bracket your shots and then when you reckon its time to fire for record, having the balls to let fly.

One thing that is for certain with all the guys in NQ is that they take their 1K very seriously because if they didn't we would not have the concrete benches, the target frames or the wind flags and all the other things that have all been worked on over a number of years. All tune their rifles to get the best out of them, and many experiment with different barrels, bullets, stocks and rests and then pass on the information amongst ourselves and others for everyones benefit. So if anyone up our way shoots a small group or good score it is because of a number of people that helped to get to that point.
The other thing that has been accepted and indoctrinated into us as a group, is that one match is nothing, the six and ten match aggs over the course of the year are the final goal. This helps to promote a relaxed and friendly atmosphere at each and every match, during and after, simply because a good result bumps out a poor one, and a bad result can be replaced with a better one next match. Those that are travelling from NQ to Brisvegas will do so to be better placed in the six and ten match aggs at the end of the year, and experience different people at a different range, not for a win at all costs at one match.

Tony Z.
alpal
.17 HMR

Post by alpal »

albow, touche! my thoughts exactly and very well put. Thanks for restoring my faith and putting your hand up.
Look forward to meeting you some time. Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing! :lol:
Regards Alpal
jmvssf

Post by jmvssf »

I'd love to come along and see how you all do it.

I'll be in the area, how does it rate as a spectator sport?
woob614271
17Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 17Rem, 22.250AI, 308

Post by woob614271 »

Can be fun, slightly boring if you're not into shooting, educational on several fronts, awe-inspiring, humbling (even for the guns!), and a whole lot more...