1,000 yard Benchrest - Brisbane in July

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
BRT
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

1,000 yard Benchrest - Brisbane in July

Post by BRT »

Hi All,
Just wanted to post information about the 1,000 yard Benchrest Championship to be held here in Brisbane in July.

We would like to invite you all to come and join us for what we think will be a great match.
NRAA and SSAA memberships are excepted at Belmont for all 1,000yd Benchrest events.
I am sure you all know that just 2 weeks prior Townsville are also conducting their annual feature shoot and many people will be arranging their holidays to take in both events. JR and others have posted information about their event on this forum

The match is part of the Australian Shooting Games and medals will be provided by the ASG committee. It is a two day match on Saturday and Sunday July 26th/27th plus a scheduled full day for practicing on Friday 25th. The schedule for LG class will be 3 x targets on Saturday and the same again on Sunday (total 6 for the weekend). For HG class it will be 2 x targets on Saturday and same again on Sunday (total of 4 for the weekend). You can enter in both classes in you desire. The Match Directors will be Stuart and Annie Elliott.

The range is situated on the QRA site at Belmont in Brisbane. Good camping and self contained accomodation is available on site also. You will need to arrange and book directly with the QRA for this. http://www.qldrifle.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Where possible Annie and I will assist with accomodation enquiries so by all means call us if you like. We have some offers of sponsorship for this match and are looking forward to making this an annual event. Normally July in Brisbane is quite pleasant weather. By then all you southerners will need a break from that crap weather you have down there you know :D .
The QRA facility is not all that far from the airport for those considering a cheap flight to here. I would suggest those contemplating a trip on the big bird with a Heavy Gun in tow will have some challenges (although we have done it before) but with a LG it would be easy. If you are considering this and need the use of rests and bags, powder, primers etc, etc we will happily supply. In fact we will be trying to assist everybody as best we can. We want this to be an enjoyable fun weekend for all concerned.

We are presently constructing a full and proper permanent benchline containing 6 large concrete benches. This morning Phil Jones and myself layed out the excavation plan for the concrete slab on the mound and the bobcat is on the job as I type. The 16 x 5 metre slab should be down by Thursday. We have some working bees coming up for our local club members and at the completion will have 6 full size concrete benches, roof cover with overhang, roller bearing target frames and hopefully a clubhouse to use which is only 20 metres from the firing point.

Annie will get an entry form up on our new website which is coming very soon. I will let you know when. In the mean time anyone can call us for info or to book in on 07-3808 4862 or email us at BRT@benchrest.com.au
Entries will close one week before the match. The match will be run as per the new official rules for 1,000 yard Benchrest in Australia. If anyone would like a copy of these I can email them in either MS word format or PDF. Not sure if they can be posted for download on this forum. Does anybody know if that is possible?

Hope to see many of you up here in July.

Stuart Elliott.
woob614271
17Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 17Rem, 22.250AI, 308

Re: 1,000 yard Benchrest - Brisbane in July

Post by woob614271 »

Love to make it, Stuart, but it seems unlikely. Good luck to all.
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

Good on ya for posting that 'Big Red' :D and even better to see you in here, I am certain you could add a lot to the place :D

I'm pretty sure there's a few in here that would be interested in the Brizzy shoot.....maybe even me :lol:

KY
festa874
Favourite Cartridge: 243

Post by festa874 »

Will be making the road trip up for this one, should be a great weekend of shooting.
So you all there.
Chris
alpal
.17 HMR

Post by alpal »

Thanks for the info Stuart, I'll be there so BEWARE!!! :auto: :lol: :lol:
Regards Alpal
BRT

Post by BRT »

Good on ya for posting that 'Big Red' and even better to see you in here, I am certain you could add a lot to the place
Kenny,
I've been around for a fair while actually......just not posting. :wink:

Anyway as you know we (that's Annie and I) like to see people enjoying all forms of BR shooting and we are involved in most of them one way or the other. Some people do need to remember that most people come along to enjoy themselves at events, not 'win at all costs'.
Good example was the 1k match up here last week. Was a great day, pleasant weather. Enough out there to spoil everyones groups but that's life. We had a lot of visitors looking. They mostly stayed for a long while. At the end of the day everyone went home with a smile on their dial. Even me and I shot terribly. Well it was a bit to do with bad loads and stuffed barrel but don't tell Annie. Anyway she shot one of those really terrible (according to everyone else) 6.5x47 Lapua's chambered up in one of our Stolle Teddy's just for fun and enjoyed it. Actually shot well now we put magnum primers into it. Gunna do a 6mmx47 barrel for her Stolle also but these are mainly for F Class open.

I can see this sport growing big time. Just need to make people feel welcome and help them participate. It's easy for all of us who have been deeply entrenched in competitions for many years to forget what it's like to come along and start. Some people have no problem, others feel they might make a fool of themselves. Some feel intimidated by fancy equipment. That is why we encourage people with fairly standard factory type rifles. Not only does it help them but makes some others feel comfortable "that it's OK". We had a new guy this month shoot a Tikka T3 Varmint in 308 and did OK. He had actually had a ball. Now he's off home reading up more on benchrest loading techniques etc. The gun will do for now but he can improve his loads and now is bitten by the bug!.

Anyway we are working at getting this range and the facilities as best we can and also helping some others come on line as well. We have visited the Raglin range near Rockhampton in February upon their invitation as they want to start shooting 1,000 yd BR. Ross Atherton runs the show up there and is a good bloke. That range is excellent and has great facilities. So with a bit of luck and good management I can see in future years getting Rockhampton to host a feature match on the weekend before Brisbane and the weekend after Townsville. 3 shoots in 3 weekends in July from Townsville, style of thing to Brisvegas! Could start an annual road trip thing eh? Lets face we need to help you southerners out a bit. If you can't get good scores at least you get nice weather and great fun....eh? :)

Stuart.
http://www.benchresttraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ps. I'm still practicing my "eh's" at the end of every sentence still. Nearly there but those lot from FNQ have still got it over us.....eh! :lol:
woob614271
17Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 17Rem, 22.250AI, 308

Post by woob614271 »

This is all for the good of the sport, and from what I've seen (up here anyway) it still is a sport. Heaps of good chat, a few insults and lots of info shared; it's what any sport should be.
Ps. I'm in the perennial stuff-up group, so please be just a little bit hard on me...
ol' wooby
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Post by a.JR »

s
Last edited by a.JR on Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

I will be going to the 600 at Biloela, but not the 1K at Brisvegas, ay.

True NQlanders don't say "eh" they say "ay". Ay like in "hay" like rednecks chew on all day, ay. The "ay" is the way of saying the question mark symbol, ay.
But those from Charters Towers they are different again, ay. They say "uuhhayee", sorta like the sound the dog makes when ya boot it in the guts, which means "what the fuck did you say and can you repeat it". Usually aimed at us coastliners that can speak at 60 words per minute while their brain can only decypher 3 words per minute.
But we do have Tommy Hodgson, ay. 50 years of crop dusting by his father tells me that there are issues with chemicals used on fruit and vegies and the residual effects on babies, ay. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tony Z, ay.

The good news is also that Mackays Mount Vince range is available to be used by the SSAA for 600 AUS and Fly, so later this year matches should be held there also. Good work by Bob M and John McQ and a well done to the combined Club Captains of Mackay, Sarina and Marion, ay. So T'ville, Mackay and possibly Biloela are looking like a good circuit for the 600, maybe someone reading here from Atherton, Cairns, Ravenshoe, Mareeba and Herberton SSAA and NRAA clubs, may wish to expand on 1K or 600 AUS. You can contact Albow, aJR or myself through this forum. Also can someone correct me, but isn't Innisfails' Murdering Point range exactly 600 yards benchline to mound? Mozzie do you know?
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

I've been around for a fair while actually......just not posting.
Jeez Stuart..you have changed my view of you all together :shock: ...maybe youv'e been hanging around with Jimbo a bit much, he's a bit of a lurker :lol: :lol: :lol:

eh...ay....uuhhaayy.... :lol:

You Queenslanders are way more advanced than us Southerners...the latest down here seems to be - "well...yeah...nah" usually followed by a "hmmm... yeeass"..............friggin beats me :lol:

I think I best pop into Vinnies today and get me a pair of Bib and Braces for the planned Northern trip and a copy of Aussie English :P :lol:

KY
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

Hi Kenny

Does this mean you are going to be up in July for the Ironman weekend??
BRT

Post by BRT »

Yes Ken,
I think in reality you'd better get your arse up here in July. The real hard truth of it is, mate, there is only so much FNQ stuff one can take yuh know. We need balance up here! :lol:

Get yuh slack mate Nashy off his arse too and get him up here. Maybe he can stop winging for one weekend and actually enjoy himself. :wink:

Stuart
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Albow,

I am working on it, will find out on Tuesday if I still have a job or not :roll:

Stuart,

I have been working on getting 'the big slug' :lol: to a come along...who knows :?

KY
dg
25/06 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47 lapua

Post by dg »

z
Last edited by dg on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Now lets get this absolutely crystal clear. Without the serious competitors in any sporting event of any type anywhere in the world, that sport is doomed to failure. Anyone who says otherwise is full of shit. We can have friendly banter, and be friendly and encouraging to the novice, but when the light goes green, the blinkers come down and the competition is very real.
Now if we allow one and all to enter any open match of any sort, then we have to put up with all the different personalities and the equipment that may come along. Some may be nice, some may not be so nice and some may be somewhere inbetween. But any match anywhere in the world attracts people because of their competitive spirit first and foremost with the atmosphere of the event dictated by the weather, the way the match was run and the mix of personalities there on the day. Serious competitor or novice alike.
If its about winning at all costs people being excluded, then choose who can or cannot come, or maybe just can the shooting and have a pissup instead.
Now from my own perspective of why i won't be at Brisvegas; barrel is well past fireform duties and the fact that i have not rebarrelled the gun while there are two new barrels sitting collecting dust, and the fact that i have not taken 1K seriously for the last couple of seasons, is telling me that going anywhere for a 1K match would not be fun.
Now, if i was still a serious competitor like in the past, the reading of this thread with the implication that my kind and my equipment is not wanted, is all the more reason not to be there. I would encourage similar with intimidatory fancy equipment not to be there either. It appears the display or the advancement of the sport is not welcome in certain quarters, ay.

Tony Z