Busselton Rifle Club 1000ydBR shoot

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Busselton Rifle Club 1000ydBR shoot

Post by Brad Y »

Busselton Rifle Club held its first ever 1000yd benchrest shoot today. Attendance was beyond comprehension with 20 people shooting and another 10-15 coming down for a look. Busselton range has only been granted the ability to use two benches/targets and it took 4 hours to get everyone through for one detail. Hopefully in the future things will be a bit more fluid and we will start earlier as well to get everyone a second detail. But two more benches/targets are on the cards as soon as we can get approval.

Conditions today were 30-50kph constantly fishtailing headwinds- something we have been getting alot of for F class as well. Very easy to get carded as our first shooter found out. Dave Kerr is one of the nations more successful benchrest shooters and his 50lb heavy gun 300WSM got blown clean off. On the other hand some of the f class guys with their 308's did amazingly well. Doug Goldsworthy took out Std class and would have cleaned up the LG and HG guys as well with his 308 mauser that has seen in excess of 10,000 rounds we believe. Not sure whats going on there! HG wise there was 300WSM and 7SAUM, LG had a 6BRX, 6.5x47L and 260AI and all standard rifles were 308's. To make it try and run a bit smoother, everyone shot blind which had no complaints anyway. Yours truly didnt get to fire a shot, I figured with the club new to it all, someone needed to put a day in getting there a couple of hours earlier to get everything laid out and ready to go, was a good idea. We got a good rotation of scorers going so people are getting experienced there and another shooter took over RO duties at the end of the day for a relay as well so fingers crossed a few more people will step up and I can get some rounds downrange.

A couple of pictures as well.

Dave Kerr and his 300WSM BAT

Brett Bunyan and his 260AI "Rolle" (remington with stolle style sleeve)

Bob Kinnear 7SAUM BAT

Graham Oates 308 Remington

Charlie Thomas 308 Barnard having some difficulty with a firing pin- gun was retired from the range.

Bill Hallam 308 Milennium- this gun does alot of winning in the f class std division here. His group showed. Very flat on elevation.

Results are up in the relevant forum.
dg
25/06 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47 lapua

Re: Busselton Rifle Club 1000ydBR shoot

Post by dg »

Brad

congratulations to all concerned. :D :D

What an amazing level of attendance for your first match.!!!!

Just wait, until it gets popular :lol:

obviously, the efforts of yourself and your fellow club members have been very successful and worthwhile.

It is great to see another Australian NRAA Club introduce IBS 1000yd Benchrest.

perhaps, you might like to consider preparing and placing a report with piccies/results and other relevant info in the ATR.

cheers
dave goodridge
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Hi dave

I'm happy with it now, but when it cranks with more benches and everyone gets a full two details I will consider it then. Plus scores weren't all that good, wish this bloody wind would bugger off it's been going off for weeks.
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

Yeah well done getting up and running with the 1000yd matches Brad.

Don't forget to get into the postal against the US and you will have to try to get to Narromine for the SCC :wink:
wifecallsmegrumpy
.223 Remington

Post by wifecallsmegrumpy »

Hey I see that photo got Dave Kerrs good side ! lol

:lol:
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

He did say it was the first time shooting south of Jarrahdale he has been since he can remember. Also commented it was the first time in the sun for a while too! I dare say he might look at starting to run a heavy bullet load in his HG now after experiencing our range at its not so finest.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Well done Brad always good to see a new range in the 1k BR club. As pointed out get into the postal shoot Mr Dave will be only to happy to add you and your blokes to the list.
Interesting statement about the heavy bullet load for the 300WSM .. what was he running????
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Rinso- I believe he was running 168gr bullets. Not sure what breed. Apparently they hammer at 200m, but 1000yds isnt the same especially in 50kph gusts!
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

Brad Y wrote:Rinso- I believe he was running 168gr bullets. Not sure what breed. Apparently they hammer at 200m, but 1000yds isnt the same especially in 50kph gusts!
Heavier pills wont help his wind reading :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously though 168's are not really a 1k bullet in 30 cal ... he needs to do some research.
I think maybe 185's, 190's or 200's would be far better that said they wont do the job for him you still need to read the conditions and have a good bench technique.
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

Rinso wrote: I think maybe 185's, 190's or 200's would be far better that said they wont do the job for him you still need to read the conditions and have a good bench technique.

I don't think you can really accuse Dave Kerr of not having a good bench technique! :lol:
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

jeffk wrote:................I don't think you can really accuse Dave Kerr of not having a good bench technique! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

jeffk wrote:
Rinso wrote: I think maybe 185's, 190's or 200's would be far better that said they wont do the job for him you still need to read the conditions and have a good bench technique.

I don't think you can really accuse Dave Kerr of not having a good bench technique! :lol:
A whole of 1k shooting comment mate not a shot at Dave Kerr particularly ... A 50lb HG is a different animal to a short range BR gun in a lot of ways and the 308 results show you cant buy wins at 1k. Also a different discipline really to short range BR so whilst there are things that are the same others are not, always a learning curve when you change to new arenas.
Anyone who builds a 300WSM in HG should be able to research loads that have worked for others as a start point and I doubt you will see too many 168's in the normal run of 1k loads for those type of guns. Makes me wonder what barrel twist rate he went for?????
Then again he did miss a 4 foot square target completely so maybe he was having a bad day ... happens to all of now and then, I have done it and I'm pretty sure everyone I know shooting 1k has done it at some point.