Townsville 1000yd Match- 28 August 2011

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
albow
.257 Roberts

Townsville 1000yd Match- 28 August 2011

Post by albow »

Hi All

We were hard at it again today at the 1000yd line in Townsville with some relatively subtle yet challenging conditions with a slight dose of mirage thrown in for good measure. The winds were going great for most of the day during the sighter periods and had a habit of changing direction and consistency when the record periods commenced. All said there were some great groups and scores shot for the day.

Of particular note was new shooter Matt Woolcock who was at the line for the first time, borrowed a gun of a fellow competitor - who shall remain nameless hey Jack - and went on to shoot the smallest group in HG for 2011 in Aus and pretty sure set a new day Aus day agg record. Matt's first group was a 5.534" and he followed it up later in the day with a 5.439" to give a day agg of 5.487". To boot they were all pretty close to the X as he scored 189.1 too.

Well done Matt and a hell of a way to open your account at 1000yds with two smileys :D :D

For HG group agg for the day went to JR with 191.1 and in LG Tony Z took out the group and score aggs for the day with 5.737 and 93.3 respectively. Tony also shot small group for LG with a 5.353"

Full results are up from today in the results section.
Deano 29
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Ackley

Re: Townsville 1000yd Match- 28 August 2011

Post by Deano 29 »

Some great results from our northern brothers once again. Congrats to Matt, a 1000y virgin with two sub 6" groups.....very impressive. Congrats also to JR and Tony Z on outstanding results as always. Well done to you all.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

A little story to tell here with regards to Matt. Jack and Matt shot the same HG that being formerly one of my old HGs. Now if we are aware of the thread on that other forum about the 208 Amax/Match bullets and their inconsistencies, well while those bullets were being discarded, others were looked at and found to be brilliant.
Jack set out to test two loads head to head, two different projectiles on the day and went with the one he knew and had shot before at 500 meters. Matt was the guinea pig with the other load and projectile. As it turns out Jack guessed wrong, maybe? He did shoot a good group last up with a spoiler in there dropping over an inch onto the group. But that was the day for all, almost great groups.

This re-enforces what a few of us have been saying for a while, a great shooting gun,(bullet?), especially when a HG, makes it so easy to do well with. While Matt is no slouch at the shooting sports, this is his first go at 1K. He was smart enough to know when to pull the trigger and when not to. He bracketed very well, made no dumb mistakes and let the rifle do the job. All of us that were there know full well that had he been better versed with the gun and had some speed up, the aggregate would have been smaller. Anyway well done to Matt for what i think is the smallest day aggregate shot in Townsville as well as the smallest group shot on our range this year with a HG.
All in all, this result is very encouraging for Jack as it certainly looks like this combination could rival JR and those pesky BIBs :mrgreen:
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

That is really impressive.Great effort as usual.Lots(well most actually) of LG's in oz aren't agging 5".Townsville is the place to be 8) :D
cheers
justjeff
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270 Win

Post by justjeff »

Guys,

It is a new record, the old one was 5.489, this one is 5.487. 2 thou, not much in it, but that's life. Well done to all, just wish I had the right powder in the load. Maybe next time.

Jeff
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Post by a.JR »

Hi All , Super News for Nth Qld.. now that's 2 x 5inch H/G s up here :lol:

5.487 inchs for a day average with a ...... by young Matt.. Can't wait for the cartridge details to come out as soon as Jack has bought up all the remaining stocks of those ....... bullets , thats gunna shock a few f..in experts.. Had to go buy more lemons to try to take the smile off my dial last night ,even if i did get beaten ..JR..Jeff Rogers..ps.. Now where's those verniers ,gotta remeasure my 2 old targets to see if i can find 2 thou
jacksaligari
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6br

Post by jacksaligari »

The cheeky bastard had the nerve to send me a photo off one off the targets just in case I'd forgot he had shot a couple off 5" groups what a great mate hey
justjeff
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270 Win

Post by justjeff »

Jack,

No sympathy here, you watched TZ, then me, get done when lending our guns to others, welcome to the club. No you can ask the same questions we do, why won't it do that for me? :lol:

Jeff
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Grant, the rifle Jack has is the bigger twin of the Pig. Jack painted it black where half of it has stripped off and the other half is covered in plaster so it looks the part. Ugly works great. We do ugly real well up here. It is my contention that ugly shoots better. It is what sets us apart. :mrgreen:
My new HG, a sleeved No 4 in 303 caliber, is not far away from completion. It is dam ugly, so should shoot a treat. Longbranch action, drop ported of course, and a stock made of the finest seasoned railway sleeper i could find at Bedrock nursery. The best batch of 174 grain flat base bullets i have ever measured. Nothing but the best. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
alpal
.17 HMR

Post by alpal »

Hey Matt,
Welcome to 1000yds, with not one but two screamer groups, how good is that? Congratulations on some truly excellent shooting, bloody awesome.
Regards,
Alpal