WIND.!!!!

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

WIND.!!!!

Post by native hunter »

G'day All,
Is it just me or has the wind just been unrelenting for the past 3 months.??
Im just about sick of it, I accept I have to shoot in it but geez its hard to get some effective ammo tuning done.!!
While on that subject of tuning,It seems that alot of people that tune indoors have trouble once they have to shoot outside in a breeze, im thinkin that the gun must not be in tune.
On the opposite Ive seen when a gun/ammo combination is tuned in the slight breeze and wont shoot in calm conditions.
some people really struggle in calm conditions.!! I just wish there was more of it.!!
Anyway im sitting here watchin the windflag out back switch left and right.
Wish I could get out for a shoot now.
Regards
native
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Re: WIND.!!!!

Post by RDavies »

Yep, good fun this wind Isnt it. Best fun was using the little PPC for long range, realy teaches wind reading. As you say though, it is no time for fine tuning.
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day Rod,
geez I've used my 6ppc at 600yds and nearly had a brain seisure and heart attack! That game is purely for Masochists! And in any sort of wind is crazy with a 6ppc even with high BC bullets in a 1:14"T barrel! Still if you enjoy it who can stop you! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry mate I'll stick to proven long range bullets!
Cheerio Ned...........ps please pass the scotch! :wink: :lol:
SnipeWench
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .50cal

Post by SnipeWench »

Wind?!! What's wind???

I love shooting in wind - it's a challenge. I crave the nice satisfaction when I see the flags shift, hold off accordingly, and float that bullet right into the centre of the target. I scored a perfect 600 in high winds during the Northern Beaches Smallbore Prize Shoot. The indicator for me wasn't the flags on the range, but the wind whistling through the trees. It was crazy stuff, but a really sweet result.

I am finding though that I now prefer shooting in breeze. I somehow don't trust the stillness of the flags anymore, as too many shots have printed in weird spots when the flags are limp, and dead. When they're consistently showing a direction, I tend to believe them more, and the air is "truer" to the indicators.

I love/hate shooting indoors. The range is ventilated, with air whistling down range, bouncing off the walls and ceiling, getting backed up around the target area, and being sucked out through the roof. I'd love to put some flags down the hall to see what the air's doing - only then would I be able to blame myself for not shooting a perfect 3000 BR30 card :)
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

g'day All,
Bec is right, calm winds do crazy stuff, very fickle, much better to get a stronger wing to blow the crap away and get more consistent direction rather than silly little eddys going all directions that mess with your head.

At least with a stronger wind it has generally made its mind up which direction it is going, all you have to do is work out the strength of the push during a pick up and let off. your then guaranteed to have the bullet land somewhere in between! :wink: :lol:

Cheerio Ned
Brett33
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 260

Post by Brett33 »

SnipeWench wrote:Wind?!! What's wind???

I love shooting in wind -
What about that "RBA 4" last time out at Malabar, the wind is not always your friend.

Brett
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Post by a.JR »

Simply come to Townsville to live and shoot ,We have very little in the way of wind at our range .. Last Sunday during the 1K match i thought i saw a flag move ,the 3rd one on the left , but Allan said i was wrong ,just an illusion ..JR..Jeff Rogers
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Jeff. i saw that flag move, no illusion, that was a cow rubbing its neck on the pole. Actually, i have calculated that if we don't put out the wind flag(s), we might be able to squeeze in another target with the time saved . We don't need the flag anyway, i haven't seen it move for years. I checked it, it should work, never seen it in action, but it should work. The bloke who sold it to me at the Cowboys supporters club said it would. They work when i see the locals have them sticking out of their car windows.
Wiz
.17 HMR

Post by Wiz »

Tony Z wrote: The bloke who sold it to me at the Cowboys supporters club said it would. They work when i see the locals have them sticking out of their car windows.

Sure as shit wouldn't be a victory wave of the flag would it?
I heard some bastard broke into the Cowboys trophy cabinet and stole 11 wooden spoons..
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

You get motion sickness from watching the flags at Wagga :lol:
petevm

Post by petevm »

Motion sickness at Wagga???? You would have throw up inside two minutes at Eagle Park!!
Wagga is a piece of cake compared to our range. The only reason some national records are held by shooters at 500mt at our range is that we shoot the match 5 or times per year and sooner later someone - including me - gets lucky.
Pete
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

WIND.!!!!

Post by chappo555 »

Canberra last September fly shoot on the left of the range was the worst i have seen in a while. I had a flag at 200 that did fast u turns at about 20rpm all frigging day. I had no clue how to read what it wad doing.
Klicker
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223,6BR, 6.5x55, 7RM

Post by Klicker »

Brett33 wrote:
SnipeWench wrote:Wind?!! What's wind???

I love shooting in wind -
What about that "RBA 4" last time out at Malabar, the wind is not always your friend.

Brett
Malabar gets pretty crazy when its over your shoulder, flags are doing all sorts of stuff and none of it means anything.