Townsville 1000yd Match - 23 January 2011

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
albow
.257 Roberts

Townsville 1000yd Match - 23 January 2011

Post by albow »

Howdy All

Today saw the 2011 LR season open in Townsville with our first 1000yd match. This saw a field of seven shooters turn up and with challenging conditions on hand it was possible to champ to chump from one target to the next along with the typical headscratching thinking what could have been. Overall was a good day for all and great to be back into shooting.

LG saw group win go to Tony Z with an agg of 7.825, score agg to Eric G with 90.1 and small group of 3.431"

HG had group win go to Bob L on 10.802", score agg Jeff H on 180.2 and small group to Dave H with a 10.100"

Full results are in the competition section and next shoot will be 550yd BR on first weekend in February.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Re: Townsville 1000yd Match - 23 January 2011

Post by Tony Z »

A nice early start to the year and some variable weather to be had for those that came out to trial new gear, sight in rifles or form cases. Wind was a bit twitchy where the flag we put out really didn't show the full story and basically stood motionless in the center of the range for the best part of the day. Jeff's Kestrel did register a couple of gusts up to 3 knots so you had to be on your guard at all times. Somebody said that they saw some mirage, but i think that they were mistaken or had solvent on their lenses. I had a crystal clear view of the target at all times.

After the conditions settled and got a bit more predictable, Eric put down a group of 3.431" with his 7mm which was OK considering he used all his left over cartridges from last seasons matches. With one keeper in the store toward the six match, Eric might look like the one to beat in LG already.

Next match at the end of next month should see everyone hopefully getting their act together where statistically that time of year has better weather with light winds, zero mirage and cool pleasant days after the nights storms. So some good results should be seen.
See you all there or see you all at the 550 BR in two weeks time.
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Post by a.JR »

Hi All , You blokes were lucky to have all the great weather again , pity i missed it but i had the shift a pile of dirt around with a trusty shovel .. Not long till the big 4 day Easter Match better get the digit extracted hey..JR..Jeff Rogers
dg
25/06 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47 lapua

Post by dg »

congratulations Eric on the 3.431" group

Another well deserved "smiley" :D to be posted to Townsville

That's now :D :D :D :D in Nth Queeensland in recent months!!!!!

cheers
dave g
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

No mirage in Townsville at this time of year? Was that viewed from a bar stool or something?

What 7mm was used to get the small group?

Looking at the cyclone moving closer, I would say calm conditions wont be happening this sunday?
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Can assure you Rod, all the spotting scopes and rifle scopes i looked through on that weekend had no mirage showing at all. I could see all bullet holes on the targets very clearly. No wind, that like all our revenues and promises seems to get sucked down into the SE corner of the State these days.

The cartridge Eric used is the 7 JAT, or 9.3x62 Lapua brass necked down with a 35 degree shoulder and a 360 thou long neck. Bullet was the 168SMK and the powder was 2209. Very strong brass that rarely needs more than just a neck sizing with this load. Velocity is just about on the dot at 3000 fps. This is our version of the 280 AI, exact same capacity, just slightly shorter at the neck. Not trying to reinvent the wheel, but RWS 270 or 280 brass is just not available and when it is is far too expensive.
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Post by a.JR »

Hi Rod , Weather is very kind at present , the Cyclone was hanging around at the time of this last match but never got to anything really ,not even last night .. Talking to Eric ,he said when he shot the the 3.4incher the conditions were not great ,the 3rd flag on the right hand side moved once he reckons for sure and he thought he saw some mirage but the other guys on the spotting scopes said he's Dreamin.. So it's about STD for this part of the Monsoon season .. JR..Jeff Rogers .ps he also said the extra amount of qualification that i suggested has worked a treat and confirmed that it's the little things that make the difference
RDavies wrote:No mirage in Townsville at this time of year? Was that viewed from a bar stool or something?

What 7mm was used to get the small group?

Looking at the cyclone moving closer, I would say calm conditions wont be happening this sunday?
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

Heey good to see you blokes are still in here plugging away :D

Looks like a great start for you all up there for 2011.

Man I gotta get keen again............. :mrgreen:

KY
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

G'day Kenny

I thought you had forgotten how to post on the forum it has been that long since you were here :lol: :lol:

One sure way to get back into it is to come up for easter to the ironman weekend. I will let you share a bed downstairs with the dog :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and then take you shooting with a day of practice (so you remember how), shoot the fly, shoot 550 BR and then 1000yd over three days...... the seven mils are doing pretty good up here at the moment :twisted: :twisted:
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

AL....jeez be carefull mate the dog may just be................ in trouble

Might have to go round and drink all JR and TZ's beer too......

Good luck in the windy stuff coming your way this week and stay safe....that goes for all you FNQ'ers.

KY