Rimfire Target Rifle Shooting Forum?

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
SnipeWench
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .50cal

Re: Rimfire Target Rifle Shooting Forum?

Post by SnipeWench »

Well, I discovered why good ammo is better than $5 ammo tonight.

Went out to Cecil Park, and shot on the 50m range with the club Anschutz. Using CCI Standard ($5 ammo), the groups were horrendous, and I ended up scoring 526, and 507. I then swapped to RWS R50, and scored 543. Not too good in the end, but the grouping was much tighter, with no flyers.

So, yeah, to add to this devolving argument, ammo selection certainly plays a part!

- bec
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

G'day Rebecca,here is a thread that is very similar to yours with much the same outcome......................hope this link works :o viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6851

Bec here is a thread on ammo.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2359&start=0&hilit=transonic

Regards Chris.
Last edited by chris.tyne on Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

The thing is Bec,
is that the $5 ammo might actually shoot the best groups in your rifle. If you are unlucky it will be the $20 ammo. Whilst quality of ammo is a major factor it is also what your rifle prefers. Your rifle might indeed like the cheaper stuff and you get the best groups especially if that ammo is batched.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

hey bec, subsonic ammo shoots the bees knees with my lithgow. at 50m its been eley or winchester adn a 100 winny subs land the best. yeah it's no target rifle but that's as far as i'll go with a 22 at this stage in my life :lol:
Brett33
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 260

Post by Brett33 »

Hi all, Bec good to meet you at the comp, I did not have a good weekend, Sat not too bad but had some equipment problems on Sunday (Old actions have wear and tear problems).
An over view of the results and equipment.
1: The best shooters rise to the top, alot of the top 10 from last year were still there this year.
2: The actions to use where, 1st and 4th places were 2000 series Annies. Both barrel blocked with timber inserts in the block. That fixes the bedding problems with these acions, Both were rebarrelled with Shilen ratched barrels. 2nd was a Hall custom with Border barrel. 3rd and 5th was the same rifle, New CZ action custom stock custom Barraliton barrel. 6, 7, 10, 11, and 12 were new (past 4 years) FWB and Wather rifles. 8th another Bruno (CZ) custom stock custom Barrel. 13th was me with an old action, custom stock and barrel. 14th was the first old factory standard Annie 30 points off the pace.
7 of the top 10 used barrel tunners the other 3 used bloop tubs.
4th place used a car jack as a front rest, 3rd and 5th used home made rest without any windage etc. The rest top 12 used co-axual rests.
If you have any questions just ask? I am a gun smith by hobby and keep a very close eye on all the gear used.
Brett
SnipeWench
.17 HMR

Post by SnipeWench »

G'day guys,

Brett, yeah good to meet you on Saturday! I've taken some great footage through my video cam, and I'll post them up at some stage.

Keeping to the topic a bit here :wink: I had a go at prone target rifle, shooting an Annie with alu stock. My first few shots were woeful, because my wrist was absolutely killing me! Once the fore stock stopper nut thingie (which the sling attaches to, and your hand rests against) was adjusted forward about an inch, I was much more comfortable, and started working out a rhythm to the shooting.

I was hitting the prone target top-left, so one of the guys stopped me, and adjusted the peep sight quite a bit, making a comment like, "it's either your shooting, or the wind, but it's not the rifle!". So, I lined up on a new target and drilled the X-ring, followed by another shot to the same hole! I just had to laugh at that!

Great fun, though I was a bit sore afterwards, and my wrist is still in a bit of pain. I'll definitely do prone shooting again! It's quite the challenge!

Scopes and BR for precision, prone for the challenge!

- bec
Ron Goulding
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by Ron Goulding »

Hi Snipewench , Well done in having ago at prone shooting, and congrats at getting two tens in the one hole 1st time out. I enjoy my prone more so then the bench these days, like you said for the challnge ! Cheers Ron
Attachments
3.JPG
SnipeWench
.17 HMR

Post by SnipeWench »

Hey Ron,

That's the same model Annie I was shooting prone with! Awesome rifle, I'd love one (but never see them for sale, unless I'm looking in the wrong spots).

Took me a bit to get used to the weight and the trigger, but once I worked out a rhythm, was all good!

Where do you get the vests and gloves from?

- bec
juzz338
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by juzz338 »

any body who tells you a 64 anschutz is no good, obviously does not know how to shoot that action or does not have the mental stability or confidence in themselves to be able to shoot well unless somebody else has already proven to them that their rifle can shoot. yes i can back up this claim, my little old 64 silhouette rifle has equaled an australian record shooting for score on paper but not in benchrest but a discipline where you actually have to hold the gun. Having said that do i dislike br? no the 64 has also shot 1 inch groups using lapua tin ammo in 200m fly in local club comps. as others have said practice counts as much as anything i can shoot that gun and my old brno as well as a 54 in a silho stock but cannot shoot any rifle in a br stock. if the sako bec is talking about buying is a p94 it should hold its own and if she is already shooting 199, then 200 is not far away.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

Bec,

We have many shooters in our Club that have competed 'Internationally' and one in particular that will more then likely go to London for the 2010 Olympics.

Most of our shooters are the protege of Donald Tolhurst (Tolly) in fact the barrel in the rifle that you used at the last prize shoot was the one Tolly used at the Rome Olympics. There were only 10 ever produced by Anschutz.

They will all tell you the same.

Also have a talk to Brian Mc (the bloke whose 2013 you used). He will tell you that he was shooting higher scores with his old 54 then what he does with the new rifle. He is one of many across the disciplines that I have spoken to about the 20 series and who have said the same.

Part of shooting is mental conditioning, there is a really good book titled 'ways of the rifle'. It is more for prone and 3P but no doubt you could pilfer what you need for BR.

http://www.mec-shot.com/products/books/ ... index.html

Also if you are looking for a jacket have a look at Creedmore Sports

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/pr ... 368&page=1

Regards

Sean
SnipeWench
.17 HMR

Post by SnipeWench »

The MEC website is quite interesting. Their catalogue is really good! Product interspersed with sales spiels and hints-n-tips to boot! It's almost a full coaching guide.

The Queensland Rifle Association has the books for sale, I discovered. $100, plus postage.

- bec
Ron Goulding
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by Ron Goulding »

Hi Snipewench , You can get jackets and gloves at the PRO shop on the Malabar range. Jackets go around $550 AND GLOVES $60. Cheers Ron
SnipeWench
.17 HMR

'Twas a good night, tonight!

Post by SnipeWench »

Guessing from the header to this post, if you'd have guessed my PTA came through, you'd be right!

I've just returned from the range with a rifle bolt off a Sako Finnfire Range P94s, with the rifle itself resting in its new home in a locker down at the range.

After refitting the scope, and boresighting it, I moved into the range, and fired off a group of 5 shots, to discover that the scope was miles too high. I adjusted it into the middle of the group, and reshot the next five. Much better, but the groups weren't anything special. I was shooting Eley Tenex Ultimate. I put another 10 rounds through the Sako, but the group didn't improve much.

So, my next trick was to try Lapua Midas+. The group was _much_ better, with one shot touching or through the next, but every now and again, it'd throw one off to one side. No wild flyers, but still. The group itself was a string about a MOA long, slightly high.

Encouraged, I pulled out the RWS R50, and proceeded to create a group under 1 MOA (about .8 or so), no flyers. I think I can get this a bit tighter still with practice and learning the ways of this rifle, but I can now think of putting a round through the middle of each 100-ring on the SSAA BR30 card. I was shooting on the standard 6-target group card tonight.

The trigger is a touch stiff, but it breaks cleanly, with very little to no creep. I think Shane could do some improvements to this.

I had a look at the spent cases. The pin strike is hard, deep, and there's even a tiny indentation where the middle of the firing pin (which has a very slight raised dot in the centre of it) strikes the case rim. There's no soot down the sides or one side of the case (it's clean), and there are extraction marks on the sides, so that to me shows the chamber is tight and round. The rounds feed nicely, and the ejection happens with a distinct pop, which often flicked the spent case clear of the bench, let alone just the rifle.

This Sako has a 10-round magazine in it (in an awkward, and hard-to-reach spot). I was able to load rounds individually in through the ejection port, which was a relief, as I'd tried this to the club guns, and they all kept jamming, or the round would roll into the bolt slide holes and such.

I discovered that the scope (a Leupold 6-18x40) has a massive amount of eye relief. I might have to pull it off, and put it on my Tikka T3 when I get it!

Anyway, that's about it for now. Roll on tomorrow night, for some more practice, and then out to Cecil Park on Friday for a go at the electronic targets!

I'm one happy lassie!

Cheers,
- bec
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

woah, woah, woah!

how long did you say you had been shooting for???? you speak far beyond your time in the game 8)

tell me all about your tikka too :mrgreen:
SnipeWench
.17 HMR

Post by SnipeWench »

Hi Andrew,
andrewk wrote:woah, woah, woah!

how long did you say you had been shooting for???? you speak far beyond your time in the game 8)

tell me all about your tikka too :mrgreen:
I've been shooting since the start of October, and the Sako is my first rifle. My Tikka T3 is on order (a .223 with a 1-in-8 twist rate).

I'm a fast learner. I learn through observation, coaching, and lots of research.

One of the guys out at St Marys has been showing me the various indicators on spent cases, what they mean and such, including things like measuring rim thicknesses and such.

Sean and the guys out at Sutherland have been showing me and coaching me on benchrest shooting (and now prone target rifle shooting) techniques. Sean showed me how to measure and grade ammo by weight, so I don't get inconsistent shoots.

I've been shooting at least four to five times a week so far - I've consumed about two bricks of RWS R50 and at least four or so bricks of CCI standard (I put a _lot_ of rounds through the St Marys club rifles).

I've had goes at both rimfire BR, rimfire prone target rifle, F-class to 300m, and F-class to 800m.

I sit on the Internet all day at work doing research (and doing work in between).

It's easy to pick up the jargon on here, AHN, and out at the ranges, but a bit harder to understand everything. I'm getting there, though!

Thanks for the compliment :)

Cheers,
- bec