Rimfire Target Rifle Shooting Forum?

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
andrewbron
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Re: Rimfire Target Rifle Shooting Forum?

Post by andrewbron »

if you are looking at buying a new rifle have a talk to klaus at acme firearms he has a few guns in stock that may not be listed on his website. was at his house not long ago ordering a new walther 300xt alutec for 10m air rifle. hes is a great bloke very helpful and knows a hell of alot about the products he is selling.!

thought id add my 2c
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

G'day Bec,

Before you go to buy a new .22 you really should see how the Sako performs, this will endure trialling a few different brands of ammunition.

I doubt that there would be anything wrong with it in terms of using it from the bench and I doubt that it wouldn't shoot. As for a second rifle, I wouldn't spend counterfeit money on an Anschutz 64.

I would try and source an old Walther, however these are like hens teeth and are extremely hard to find. The top three rifles of our Club in benchrest are Anschutz 54 prone rifles, mine is the 3P variant.

As for the new Anschutz 2013's, Walther's and Feinwerkbaus, my personal opinion is that the quality is not there.

However if you had the money then you would look at nothing less then Bleiker of Switzerland, these are what are used by some of the worlds most competitive shooters (including Australia's Warren Potent).

http://www.bleiker.ch/index2.php

However, one does not need a Custom rim fire to be competitive and testament of this is reflected by the numerous Anschutz rifles that still dominate the shooting disciplines across the nation.

To be competitive in our club (A grade BR) you will need a rifle that can consistently shoot 200.15's week in and week out-it is worth noting that these scores are being acheived in some instances with 20-45 year old factory rifles.

Having seen the meticulous work that Shane did to Leannes Bruno, if your Sako is not cutting the mustard then I recommend Shane as the Gunsmith.

Regards

Sean
Brett33
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 260

Post by Brett33 »

Sean Ambrose wrote:G'day Bec,
As for the new Anschutz 2013's, Walther's and Feinwerkbaus, my personal opinion is that the quality is not there.

However if you had the money then you would look at nothing less then Bleiker of Switzerland, these are what are used by some of the worlds most competitive shooters (including Australia's Warren Potent).

http://www.bleiker.ch/index2.php

However, one does not need a Custom rim fire to be competitive and testament of this is reflected by the numerous Anschutz rifles that still dominate the shooting disciplines across the nation.

To be competitive in our club (A grade BR) you will need a rifle that can consistently shoot 200.15's week in and week out-it is worth noting that these scores are being acheived in some instances with 20-45 year old factory rifles.

Having seen the meticulous work that Shane did to Leannes Bruno, if your Sako is not cutting the mustard then I recommend Shane as the Gunsmith.

Regards

Sean

We all have opinions, but I must disagree on a few points. A new Feinwerkbaus just about won everthing at the small bore nationals (bench rest this year), both ranges 20 and 50m, Womans, Juniours, Outright, was part of the winning team the list goes on, they are quality have been proven to shoot BR.
I don't like the Bleiker for BR, I am up agaist one again this weekend so will wait and see how it preforms. I do realise however that Warren and the Bleiker (with peep sights) out shot all others reciently at BR.
People need to remember that the things that make a prone rifle good does not mean a good bench gun, one needs to think carfully of the implications on lock time for the two events.

The chance of a old completly factory rifle being in the top 10 at the RBA nats is very low, even a restocked one will struggle, add a tunner and it might be in with a chance, add a new quality barrel and good gun smith to make top 10. Most of the top 10 with be custom builds, new Anschutz 2013's and Feinwerkbaus.

Time will tell, Right or Wrong I will report back on Sunday night or Monday.
Brett
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Once we start talking National and International events I feel there are bigger powers at work than what rifle is used,yes the rifle plays a part but not all of it that you can be assured of.
Still a lot of competitive rifles built on Brnos,CZ,Sako insert just about any brand of rimfire that has or can have a decent trigger but it is a looooooooooong way from assuring you success.

Regards Chris.
Brett33
.17 HMR

Post by Brett33 »

Yes Chris I agree, but not many factory standard "old rifles", They need work.

Brett
SnipeWench
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .50cal

Post by SnipeWench »

I rang the FAR about the PTA for my Sako. They said that it could be sent out by the end of next week! Woot!

As for a PTA for another Class A rifle, I have to wait until I have a Class A rifle registered in my name before I can then start getting 2 week turnarounds for new Class A PTA's. If I send one in now, I wait another 28 days....

- bec
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester

Post by chris.tyne »

Brett33 wrote:Yes Chris I agree, but not many factory standard "old rifles", They need work.

Brett
Brett ya got no argument from me with that one :),but this is just an example of how sometimes you can just shake you head.A while back I posted a pic of the timber on a Kimber stock,well that rifle had a Lilja barrel fitted and not one other thing done to it right down to the 2.5lb trigger,that rifle won the 100 yardage at the state titles at Coffs in light gun.........
.......................and finished the E target with a .358 which gave Les 2nd place in light gun agg, it can be done.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Chris,

I think Brett was actually contesting the statements made by Sean
I doubt that there would be anything wrong with it in terms of using it from the bench and I doubt that it wouldn't shoot. As for a second rifle, I wouldn't spend counterfeit money on an Anschutz 64.

I would try and source an old Walther, however these are like hens teeth and are extremely hard to find. The top three rifles of our Club in benchrest are Anschutz 54 prone rifles, mine is the 3P variant.

Now I may be wrong here but thats what I think Brett was on about.
Its nothing new for Sean to make sweeping unsupported statements based on personnal opinion, gained from where I am not sure (certainly not from experience anyway).
Either way I am sure SnipeWench is smart enough not to listen to every Tom, Dick & Sean's opinion without due consideration of its merits or lack thereof. Afterall opinions are like arseholes arent they.

The fact is you can win with anything given the right shooter and the right day ... but we would all agree that your equipment needs to be of a minimum standard before serious results flow on.
Brett,
SnipeWench is looking at a rimfire that you have a very close association with or at least did till recently, I believe it set the Orange Club record not that long ago. I think the rifle will suit her well should she go ahead with the deal.
Brett33
.17 HMR

Post by Brett33 »

Rinso wrote:Chris,

SnipeWench is looking at a rimfire that you have a very close association with or at least did till recently, I believe it set the Orange Club record not that long ago. I think the rifle will suit her well should she go ahead with the deal.
I would love to know what rifle that is? just a hint, maker maybe.

Brett
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester

Post by chris.tyne »

Rinso I think your right,I thought Brett was refering to what I said and I can say that if I had the money the Bleiker would not be at the top of my list.
And I disagree with the statement about the Feinwerkbaus and Annies.......bloke or Lady could do a lot worse than one of them :wink:
Brett the Bleiker that you are competing against is it Barry H's,Rinso what do you think about getting a traditional class rifle for starting out,you could shoot in traditional BR,hunter class and against the custom class as well,just that I started with a custom and got sick of only being able to compete for the one class and the aggs of a well setup light gun is often equal......................just another idea and your opinion would be valued.

Regards Chris.
Brett33
.17 HMR

Post by Brett33 »

Chris, yes it is Barry that I am up against, and he has shot some fine scores this year.

As for 1 rifle for use across classes. I think that is a tough one, it would take a good smith and just the correct components to do it.
I am sort of doing that with my Hall, it is being built for 10.5 pound class in case I make the team for the world titles in the USA. The plan will be to also shoot it in the 14 pound class. Neither are relivent in Aus but it will be ok for what I want to do, and I have 2 barrels and 2 stocks for it to cover my bases.

The problem with RF in Australia there are so many comps and different rules for each. Light RF in SSAA hunter class needs a mag, SSAA light RF group does not need a mag. Then IRB only has a heavy class, RBA only has 1 class. Small bore changes from club to club, heavy is ok but light mostly has to be off the shelf.

I have decided to pick 1 weight and try and do it well. So my hall will be heavy class to try and make the IRB Aus team for NZ 2010, and also worlds in Australia 2012, also RBA for Aus team for a differenlt world titles in USA 2011.

Brett
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Post by Mick »

Rinso wrote:an assessment of rimfire actions by Bill Calfee (look him up)
Friend Rinso,
Don't be cruel and have the poor girl read a Calfee article. I'm not sure which is more painful, the housebrick and chair or reading his ranting, crazy person musings that PS see fit to pay him for. :lol:
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

Brett,
I would love to know what rifle that is? just a hint, maker maybe.
Feinwerkbau 2000 series action
Brand new Lilja 16 twist 4 groove tight bore
Procal laminated stock, pillar bedded and painted metallic gray under red
Calfee match reamer used
Custom made barrel tuner
Sound familar????

chris,
Rinso what do you think about getting a traditional class rifle for starting out,you could shoot in traditional BR,hunter class and against the custom class as well,just that I started with a custom and got sick of only being able to compete for the one class and the aggs of a well setup light gun is often equal......................just another idea and your opinion would be valued.
I would love to have the time for a serious rimfire run .. maybe one day. I currently have an Annie54 in a Speedy BR stock with a Waever T36 on it that I play with at 200 Fly. It shoots ragged holes at 100yards if I pay attention and has scored 5 x 10's at 200 metres.
The problem is I have so many Fly shoots, 1000yds matches that I attend and a few 300 yds matches I try to get to that I dont even have time for any 100/200 BR either. I havent shot F class in an age and sold my Military service rifle due to the amount of dust it was collecting.
looking at 2 Victorian Fly matches, 2 Canberra Fly matches and 2 Batemans Bay Fly matches for next year plus 5 1000yds matches at Canberra and hopefully a couple at Lyndhurst. Then theres the Leeton Fly shoots at 300 and another at Wagga I would like to get to the Coady claissic next year as well. So if I can fit a rimfire event in I will be busy but we live in hope.

As for getting a traditional rifle and shooting multi classes .. yes its an option but probably better suited to an experienced shooter like your good self than a beginner. I have found that its far easier when learning to shoot a single class and try to spend the rest of your time watching the quality shooters go round, you can pick up a lot of good info just watching the better shooters. After you are comfortable then move into other classes.

Brett makes a good point in regard to the various rules for each event life would be much easier if they could all line up somewhat to make cross competition shooting more appealing.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

Mick wrote:
Friend Rinso,
Don't be cruel and have the poor girl read a Calfee article. I'm not sure which is more painful, the housebrick and chair or reading his ranting, crazy person musings that PS see fit to pay him for. :lol:
Mick,
Its actually one of his more sane articles and isnt to bad.
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Post by Mick »

Rinso wrote:
Mick wrote:
Friend Rinso,
Mick,
Its actually one of his more sane articles and isnt to bad.
Those are few and far between. Most of the useful info in his 4 page articles could usually fit into a paragraph or two.
Hell of a gunsmith, but a fruit loop of the highest order.