Electronic target cams

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Re: Electronic target cams

Post by Ackley Improved »

GJS wrote:Could someone point me to the rules for 1000br and fly shoots and the controling body/s. I've been thinking of trying it out.
Thanks

Glenn
So, what ghz and watts is the unit you are talking about? Consequences of using these units may deter a few.

Hard wired, no problem... but 500m of wire.. no thanks!

Cheers
GJS
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 30-06/.204

Post by GJS »

Ackley Improved wrote:
GJS wrote:Could someone point me to the rules for 1000br and fly shoots and the controling body/s. I've been thinking of trying it out.
Thanks

Glenn
So, what ghz and watts is the unit you are talking about? Consequences of using these units may deter a few.

Hard wired, no problem... but 500m of wire.. no thanks!

Cheers

:? :? :? :? :?

I've been thinking of trying it out.

Shooting the comps, not building/using the cams. :lol: :lol:

Glenn
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Sorry Mate

Next year March for 500m Fly, this year November for 1000yds!

If you can, I suggest you try a 300m Fly shoot before hand. It will help out a lot and build up confidence!

Cheers
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

G'day Dave,

I am not sure if you have taken any notice but there has definitely been a resurgence in the shooting sports. I still believe that the use of target cameras would entice more people to the discipline.

I may not be "one of the old wise heads" of the Fly discipline but I know a few who believe that it was ruined when it become a 5 card match instead of the initial 10.

Yes, I have said on numerous occasions that my old Lymans are the clearest scopes that I own and I stand by that statement, in fact, I have considered clamping that old scope I purchased from you to the Stolle but then again I would be just as content shooting a burnt out Mauser as what I would the Stolle.

There would be no reason to 'invoke' rule 10.

I travel the distance because it's a great weekend and I enjoy shooting, not because I am hell bent on becoming shooter of the year. I would have just as much fun shooting Silhouette, Military Matches or Full Bore as what I would 'Fly'.

As for rules, I believe there probably need be a few more rules added that is of course you are serious in regard to fairness and not allowing people to have an unfair advantage because they can afford high magnification optics.

I personally think that the use of target cameras should be allowed or limit the magnification of optics.

As you said it doesn't stipulate in the rules and the rules are printed on the target, it doesn't say that you can't use the visual aid of a camera nor does it say that you are permitted to use a 50 X or 60 X scope.

Regards

Sean
malcolm
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 35 Whelan

Post by malcolm »

I welcome all your comments--- thanks guys
Cheers Malcolm
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Magnification does not cut through mirage.......... nor does quality of scope

The main scopes used in Fly will see holes until the mirage picks up. If you are not using one of these scopes, its either because you are new, cant afford one, or you are waiting on one.
WhiteMeat
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223AI

Post by WhiteMeat »

Ackley Improved wrote:If you are not using one of these scopes, its either because you are new, cant afford one, or you are waiting on one.
Maybe an element of masochism in there too?
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

G'day Trev,
Ackley Improved wrote:Magnification does not cut through mirage.......... nor does quality of scope...
I don't think I ever said that a high magnification scope 'would' cut through mirage, however, the advantage that one would have is 'until' the mirage kicked in. I find this is generally after the first three scoring cards. If it was a cold day like that we experienced at the last shoot in Canberra then a shooter with such optics would have had the advantage all day.

Regards

Sean
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Sean Ambrose wrote:G'day Trev,
Ackley Improved wrote:Magnification does not cut through mirage.......... nor does quality of scope...
I don't think I ever said that a high magnification scope 'would' cut through mirage, however, the advantage that one would have is 'until' the mirage kicked in. I find this is generally after the first three scoring cards. If it was a cold day like that we experienced at the last shoot in Canberra then a shooter with such optics would have had the advantage all day.

Regards

Sean
On that metality I guess I could say that its unfair too, because I shoot a 6mm, and that since my holes are smaller nothing bigger should be allowed? Maybe that should be a new rule? :? a 6mm at 60X might be only the same as a 30cal at 40X... so no more 40X scopes and 30cal then.. its unfair. Come one...................... for real?

Also you better go buy yourself a March then, and see what they are about... obviously they are the holy grail and make you shoot better and win matches!
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

I dont have a dog in this fight simply because I am sitting on the fence at the moment but as to equipment there will always be the have's and the have not's and in some instances the have not's may have some merit to there argument...............but not in this one that I can see,"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" sound familiar.

Regards Chris.
Iggy
Favourite Cartridge: .223 Rem

Post by Iggy »

Ackley Improved

PM sent
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Its funny you know,

Not being a target shooter, (and the reason why I'm not is greatly due to the type of arguments in this thread) I think its backward that these sorts of innovations aren't catered for. I think its largely due to technophobia (I dont know how to work one of those things so ban it). I don't have a lot of money but I would be more tempted into some of these sports if there was an unlimited class where the only rule was the distance you were shooting at.

Technologically, we'd be much further in front if we embraced new innovations rather than stifle them due to a lack of understanding or "Not the way we've always done it" type of mentalities.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Lost interest
Last edited by Rinso on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Lost interest
Last edited by Rinso on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Post by a.JR »

Hi all , i must admit to being disappointed at the movement for rules changes 3 times since i started shooting LRBR.. 1st time is when some in Canberra decided you needed to see where your bullets landed during the 1000yd record target ,this was start 2005 ..2nd time was when a real small number decided that one person had won by too many points and so that shooter grading should be introduced ,this was after the 2006 QLD FLY shoot .3 rd is this talk of allowing personal cameras.. The argument will always raise it's head about costs and there is no way around it .... In 2006 it was my gun that was in the line of fire concerning grading ,i won that event with a 245.5, the nearest H/G to me was 191. ,the nearest L/G was at 176 app.. Now my gun had a 10 year old scope that cost $1000 when new , the gun all up cost less than $2000 to build ,thats say $2900 including the benchrests ,there were guns there that cost more than twice that figure that could not get past 150 on the day ..Because you drive through the gate in a Porsche does not mean you will win that day .. So please lets leave the old *his is bigger than mine* bit out of it ,there is no way that i have seen to buy yourself a win at this game..Camera's, if allowed will not make you a SOTY winner , but will increase costs to the novice because some will say they are the bees knees and then the new guy will fork out more money .. If successfull in getting these allowed you will still be looking at the screen trying to figure out why that bullet is ALL the was out in the V and i will be finished and cleaning the gun,all the while taking the time to watch the flags, gettin ready for the next target.. Just as a matter of interest ,what do you think the reaction would be like if i asked to shoot my gun in F/ class comps ,you know ,from the bench with the target in place for the whole 10 minutes ..JR.. Jeff Rogers..ps Don't try to change the rules to suit yourself, change your ideas to suit the Match that is already going great