Which action would you buy?

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
albow
.257 Roberts

Which action would you buy?

Post by albow »

Hi Guys

Just wondering if you had the choice of either a Stiller Viper or a Stolle Panda which would you buy and why?
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Re: Which action would you buy?

Post by chris.tyne »

Stiller.........................why,cheaper,does the job and I like the drop port.

Regards Chris.
Steve 2141
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Steve 2141 »

albow wrote:Hi Guys

Just wondering if you had the choice of either a Stiller Viper or a Stolle Panda which would you buy and why?

WHAT DISCIPLINE DO YOU INTEND TO SHOOT?
Last edited by Steve 2141 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
john mc
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x47

Post by john mc »

hi Alan go for the drop port viper much better for short range bench rest comps very nice actions left port right bolt very quick to use and bolt face will be o k for ppc and br caes
john mc :rifle: :rifle:
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Steve, I shoot LR with a light gun and am considering a couple of options on a new rifle. The thing I am looking for is the RBLP and as far as having a drop port I don't see that as 100% necessary.
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Mate

I have owned two Panda's and one Diamondback!

Both have plus and minus.

The Panda's are nicer on bolt lift, dont get that click as the bolt cams like the Stillers seem to do... I loved my Panda's....

BUT....

If you are thinking a polished Panda, forget it... look great to start with, but aluminium actions looks crap quick. I dont like the bead blasted look either.

Ultimately the bolt camming wont matter as the rifle will be 17lbs, and when cycled quickly you dont notice it. The anodizing on the Stillers gets my nod!

Either way you cant go wrong... Stillers actions.. well BR actions... trigger guard and rings included in price... and they are cheap to start with!

Cheers
Steve 2141
.17 HMR

Post by Steve 2141 »

AL

IF YOU ARE GOING TO ONLY USE IT FOR SHORT RANGE BR THEN IT'S JUST A MATTER OF PREFERENCE, I OWN A PANDA MICRO PORT AND MY LATEST PROJECT IS A CM GII IN DUAL PORT, IF YOU GET A STILLER IN PPC YOU ARE LIMITED TO USING IT FOR THAT, I'M NOT SURE IF THE DROP PORT WILL ALLOW A BR CASE TO GO THROUGH, WITH THE PANDA MICROPORT IN PPC YOU ARE ALSO ABLE TO SHOOT MODIFIED BR CASES ALSO, AND IF YOU GO TO THE DUAL PORT DESIGN YOU CAN ALSO SHOOT MODIFIED 6.5X47 LAPUA BRASS IN THE LONGER RANGE COMPETITIONS.

I PREFER THE FORWARD MICROPORT DESIGN AND THE REMINGTON STYLE EJECTOR,

AS WITH POLISHED ACTIONS NOT KEEPING THEIR GOOD LOOKS, BELOW ARE SOME PHOTOS OF A 7YR OLD ACTION
Attachments
Picture_031.jpg
Picture_031.jpg (64.3 KiB) Viewed 678 times
Picture_030.jpg
Picture_030.jpg (58.07 KiB) Viewed 678 times
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

I had Stiller open the drop port on my action to a case the size of a 30 Dasher. I believe the Stiller drop port will drop both PPC and BR cases with universal boltface, no modification.

Albow will not be wanting the drop port anyway, as I feel what he chambers wont fit down the drop port. It is for a LR rifle.

Ultimately, get a BAT! Weight is not an issue, go stainless steel.

Steve, both Pandas I had were polished micro ports, both looked great, but the polished stainless overtime looks a lot better... I loved the Panda's!

Albow, go get yourself a 1.55" BAT 3LUG in dual port!!! Now thats a big winner!!

CHeers
Steve 2141
.17 HMR

Post by Steve 2141 »

AL

I MISS UNDERSTOOD YOUR REPLY, I WAS THINKING LIGHT BR, IF YOUR SHOOTING THE 17LB LG CLASS THEN I WOULD GO FOR A STOLLE OR BAT CHROMEMOLLY ACTION IN DUAL PORT
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Post by Mick »

Far left hand side of the keyboard, 3 keys up. Press it.
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Mick wrote:Far left hand side of the keyboard, 3 keys up. Press it.
+1
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Steve who manufactured the offset bases,or more importantly wherejugetum :) .

Regards Chris.
Steve 2141
.17 HMR

Post by Steve 2141 »

I MADE THEM, I MACHINED THEM FROM 2024 ALUMINIUM, THE SAME STUFF KELBLY RINGS ARE MADE FROM, I MADE A COUPLE OF SETS FOR BR SHOOTERS WHO WANTED TO SHOOT RIGHT HANDED BUT ARE LEFT EYE DOMINANT
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

Steve

Thanks for the info. As far as ejection or drop port I am not too concerned over that one. I am interested in the carbon stock you have in the pictures. What make is it or where did you get it?

AI

It is funny you speak about cartridges as the reason I am looking at options for a new gun is because I am considering a....... a........ a......... 6mm...... there I said it :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: Going to see what all the fanfare is about :lol: :lol:

As far as going to the BAT and stainless the issue is that it starts to get too heavy even for a light gun by the time you put a tube and everything on. Minimum length action would need to be 8.5" and diameter 1.5" to do what I want and support everything. Find that spec in stainless and you have 45 to 50 oz against 30 oz for a viper.
luke5381
Favourite Cartridge: 25/303,22-250,12ga

Post by luke5381 »

forgive my ignorance but why the offset scope