Rimfire Bench Rest

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Rimfire Bench Rest

Post by mick_762 »

Ok so Erica (the wife) is making noises about getting to the range again to try her hand at a comp style of shooting.

She has mainly only shot over the bonnet of the ute with a bipod, though is keen on trying RF BR.
Anyone in the Wodonga area shoot this discipline at the SSAA (or any other) Range that would be interested in mentoring / assisting etc?
I have shot Target Rifle for a for a few years - but its an entirely different type of shooting and I don't want to give her the wrong advice or start her off with too many bad habits.

Cheers,

Mick
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: Rimfire Bench Rest

Post by trevort »

Read Rinso's old posts on the subject. In particular study the bit about the housebrick which seems to be an essential piece of equipment for rf Br

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

trevort wrote:Read Rinso's old posts on the subject. In particular study the bit about the housebrick which seems to be an essential piece of equipment for rf Br

Yes! The house brick!

I remember native hunter always mentioning the house brick.

mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Shot Target Rifle for a few years - i am aquainted with the brick. . . . .
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

In centre fire the brick is your fault. In rimfire. Well..,

GJS
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 30-06/.204

Post by GJS »

Wagga is reasonably close, RF group shoot tomorrow (Sunday) I can get you contacts if you're interested?
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Re: Sorting 22LR for accuracy

Postby Rinso » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:25 pm
When will you all learn that 22lr and accuracy dont go together ... at least not consistantly.
Brett is 100% correct in his summation the primer compound is and always has been the culprit in Flyer's.
You just have to look at how primers react in centrefire rifles to see that the first thing to burn makes all the difference .. ie 300 Winchester Magnum burning 75 grns of 2213SC as compared to the little bit of material in the primer yet can make a huge difference to accuracy. Put a Fed210M in my load above and the rifle will/has shot 1.2 inch groups at 500M change that to a 215M and the groups blow out markedly ie nothing under 3 inches.
Unfortunately you cant change the primers in a rimfire so people have devised all these methods of removing fliers ... do they work? probably to some degree even if it is only in the area of shooter confidence.
I have said it before and I will say it again ...
Buy a comfy chair and a house brick, every Saturday arvo sit in the chair having a nice time and about every 20-30 minutes smack yourself in the head with the brick ... or go shoot rimfires for accuracy ... the result is the same a nice afternoon with intermittent headaches.
I started life with nothing and I still have most of it left.