7mm [.284] or 6.5x47L ?

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Re: 7mm [.284] or 6.5x47L ?

Post by macca »

stinkitup wrote:Got some good points there for you LoneRider, Mate have a look at the LR benchrest guys like TonyZ who seem to be able to shoot the 6br very well. In the states their are a lot of guys shooting 6br or similar. I'm not so sure it is specifically the calibre, but good shooters with good gear.
In the case of the 6br its definetly the shooter and gear.

On a rough day the little 6br takes a hell of a hammering.
The ballistic charts are a wonderful thing for people to argue about.
The simple facts are the shooter plays the biggest part and no one cartridge is the be all and end all.
On paper/theory my 284 running 168gr pills should get run over the top off by some of the new pills but i manage to hold my own against the 180gr pills.
I also run the 6.5x284 and have never felt inferior against the 7mms. As Rinso said his 260AI is ultra competitive.

Get one that you will enjoy to shoot and shoot it a lot.Wind reading has won many/many more comps then ballistics. Particularly in the rough stuff.
cheers
Matt P
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by Matt P »

For the longs (in F Class) the 284 is hard to beat, I would suggest 180 VLD's or Hybrid. I would also suggest not trying to run it flat out like some seem to do. I recently fitted a 8.5 twist Kreiger for a customer and boy does it shoot.
But if you're looking for a 300 -1000 and not shooting the longs alot the 6.5 x47L is great round, I recently fitted one for myself and it's a very easy caliber to get along with.

Matt P
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

ive got another omark in 308 fullbore for up to 800,so this one in which ever cal i go with will only be for the long work.

its still aways off being ready but its getting there.

thanks fellas.
singleshot
.17 HMR

Post by singleshot »

Been shooting 284's for years and Shehane version now. Very easy to get on with. I have got my wife shooting the longs with the Shehane now.
Recoil is no big deal. Her barrel is on second chamber and has now fired 2800 rds. Shot a 60.6 at 800yds last weekend. Like Matt said, you don't need to run them hot.

Hope this helps
AlanF

Post by AlanF »

singleshot wrote:...I have got my wife shooting the longs with the Shehane now.
Recoil is no big deal...
That's great news Cameron. I agree that with the F-Open 10Kg weight limit and a bit of experimentation with hold etc., the 284 is not unpleasant in fact I think better behaved than some of the lighter 308s around. And for F-Class, I've decided the 284 is accurate enough for the shorts. If we had a full value score of 7 for the Super V, then my opinion would be different.

Good luck to you both at the Qld Queens - I'll be watching the scores with interest - I guess you'll need to venture south for another trial at some stage, so might see you at Canberra?

Alan
singleshot
.17 HMR

Post by singleshot »

AlanF wrote: That's great news Cameron. I agree that with the F-Open 10Kg weight limit and a bit of experimentation with hold etc., the 284 is not unpleasant in fact I think better behaved than some of the lighter 308s around. And for F-Class, I've decided the 284 is accurate enough for the shorts. If we had a full value score of 7 for the Super V, then my opinion would be different.

Good luck to you both at the Qld Queens - I'll be watching the scores with interest - I guess you'll need to venture south for another trial at some stage, so might see you at Canberra?

Alan
Thanks Alan

I will be using a new barrel, so hopefully it will go ok at 1000y. Have shot it to 800mtrs with good results.
I agree the 284 is competitive at the short ranges...you just have to be spot on with technique. I may shoot the 6x47SM as well depending on conditions.

I am not sure where we will shoot the second trial.....Canberra will probably be the one.

Cameron
Matt P
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by Matt P »

Cameron
Are you guys shooting the Queens ???
Hope to see you there, I'll be shooting Open, 6.5 x 47, still waiting for my 7mm barrel.

Matt P
singleshot
.17 HMR

Post by singleshot »

Matt P wrote:Cameron
Are you guys shooting the Queens ???
Hope to see you there, I'll be shooting Open, 6.5 x 47, still waiting for my 7mm barrel.

Matt P
G day Matt

We will be shooting the Queens. We have the trials for USA 2013 on the Monday. Then I can reload and just shoot the Queens.

Good to hear your coming. It will be class competition. The NQ boys plus many others I hope.

See you there
Cameron