Odd horizontal movement...

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Odd horizontal movement...

Post by Brad Y »

Can anyone suggest me a reason as to why i may be getting horizontal movement in my shooting? Today with no flag movement at 500m I was drilling the 6 ring when my gun suddenly went into the 4's and 5's. It was movement from 3 o clock to 9 oclock- no vertical. Again the flags were dead still and I felt good about all the shots. I havent got one of those pointer cards that can help you diagnose the POI change to various reasons.
284man
Favourite Cartridge: 284Win

Re: Odd horizontal movement...

Post by 284man »

Maybe there was Mirage, switching sides, picking up and dropping off. Maybe very subtle, maybe running fast??
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

No mirage, freezing cold actually. We were shooting between rain and hail squalls but at times it would drop to nothing and other times we were throwing guns in cars and trying to stay dry.

I kind of think it may have been gun handling but unsure if it was too much cheek weld, not enough focus on trigger, maybe didnt have the cant adjusted on the f class bipod... dunno but suggestions would be good for anything possible.
robin

Post by robin »

I think the answer could be the rain you were shooting in between. Flags when they get wet hang down the pole and do not respond to small wind shifts. My guess is that their was wind pick ups and you were not seeing it.
RobH
Flash Gordon
.22 WMR

Post by Flash Gordon »

If you were having rain squalls, the flags wouldn`t show any light movement because they were wet. Did you correct off your spotter, or say there is nothing there, and keep the same aim point? Was the rifle alignment only between the bipod and rear bag, or in your haste you were doing some steering with the trigger hand? Only if the bipod level was moving both ways from vertical would you get a spread each side. Don`t let it get to you.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Was running them down pretty fast and from hitting sixes it went out. I dont think there was any increase or decrease in wind but the flags being wet is a perfectly reasonable excuse.

Still working out how the best hold is but im finding it more comfortable with the non trigger hand on the rear bag so I can make small hold offs if required at the last minute.