Rimfire target sizes.

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Rimfire target sizes.

Post by chris.tyne »

Following on from the discussion in the for sale section about tuners and there use,Please someone correct me if these measurments are incorrect but I measured a couple of targets to compare.
The target that the small bore blokes up here use which I am only guessing is the same as the one that Bec,Sean,Ron use has a 10 ring diameter of approx 430thou with a centre dot of approx 200thou and this is best edge scoring.
Now the IRB target that I have measures 250thou for the ten ring and 50 thou for the centre dot,nine ring is 500thou,this target is best edge as well.
Now the BR30 targets 100 ring is 400thou and this target is worst edge score.
This is not meant to be a slight at any shooting discipline just trying to state facts in light of what has been said previously about the how some targets seemed easier than others.......................I struggle with most of them on any given day.

Regards Chris.
Brett33
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 260

Re: Rimfire target sizes.

Post by Brett33 »

My take on the targets if you account for best edge or worst edge and allow for the plug size the you need to be able to shoot groups smaller than.

0.665 to get a X on the TRA target
0.860 to get a 10 on the TRA target
1.490 to get a 9 on the TRA target

0.500 to get a X on the RBA and IRB cards
0.690 to get a 10 on the RBA and IRB cards
0.940 to get a 9 on the RBA and IRB cards
The IRB card might be about to go metric which would make it slightly harder I think!

0.420 to score a 100 on a BR 30 card
0.725 to score 50 on a BR 30 card
1.125 to score 25 on a BR 30 card

That makes things sound easy considering I can hold 0.25(Centre to centre) or 0.47 Outside to outside, groups so I should be able to shoot these targets clean, but I struggle with the wind, I strugle moving around the target, and most of all I strugle with my nerves.

Brett

Edit: Those groups on Target are Outside edge to Outside edge, most measure Centre to Centre.
Last edited by Brett33 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
SnipeWench
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .50cal

Post by SnipeWench »

Yup, those BR30 cards are nasty! My unofficial PB on those cards is 2600, but I'd only scored the shots by estimating whether dubious holes had cut the lines (no gauge...). Dunno whether it was an actual 2600 or not.

Yes, I did do it in 15 minutes too!
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

can someone post an a4 version of the br30 or equivilant [to correct ring size] target, i might have a go at it when i get down to newcastle,but i will need practise [hence the target]
my ol dad and brother are in the newtech small bore club and i would love for the ol mossy to give them something to think about.
i think i did pretty well there a yr or 2 ago with the lil chinese airgun-with open sights- considering the amount of heckling i got from the wankers with scopes.like geez its only a 10mtr indoor range for airgun.....ive headshot starlings out of trees at about 30 yrds on windy days with an airgun worth $10 at most.
but i digress targets please....
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

Lonerider-Send me a pm with your address and I will post you a few targets.
Snipewench-2600!!Thats a pretty good score,Im told no-one has scored a gold in the BR30 on an outside range in OZ yet.
Native
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester

Post by chris.tyne »

Yep that BR30 target can be mighhhhhhty frustrating :),Brett my calculations are most likely flawed but with the BR30 target if you are to score a 100 and seeing that it is worst edge or scored down you would have to be able to hold centre and shoot less than .4 outside to outside.
In a perfect world if you hit dead centre for instance and suppose the hole the shot was .22 then that gives you 90 thou either side.............you get the idea,I know that to actually break through the ring it is more than that but for an idea as to how hard they are..............they are hard and BR30 targets are not to be plugged as they are to be viewed with an eagle eye.....................or something to that effect :?
As to the other targets and seeing as they are best edge I would expect that you would have to be able to hold the value of the ring + a calibre or bullet hole and this is working from a centre line or point........
............................I have confused myself.......I think :? ....................and Bec if you have shot a 2600 that is a mighty fine achievement,good shooting.

Regards Chris.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

With the old BR50 target, to shoot a possible all 100s, the group size at 50 yards needed to be 0.280" CTC. Those other target sizes need to be checked as i am sure that BR30 was the 100 ring equivalent.

I have said it before, as have many others, rimfire shooting indoors proves nothing except how good or bad the equipment is. This form of shooting is the scurge of the BR world and no scores on any target of any type should ever be considered as records. This is where BR30 went South. Target archery is going through this same phase now where the indoor 18 and 25 meter shooters want to find a venue to shoot 90 meter FITA indooors. Can't play in the wind so they want to change the rules for the majority to suit their Eutopian World.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester

Post by chris.tyne »

Tony your figures sound about right for the BR30 vs BR50 and the best I have shot was less than 2200 and that was outdoors of course,I have never shot indoors.....................well sept for the odd occasion when................................................................nah better not go there :D .

Regards Chris.
native hunter
.270 Winchester

Post by native hunter »

Chris,Thats not the good barrel and action ya talkin about.?? :lol: :lol:
Native
SnipeWench
.17 HMR

Post by SnipeWench »

I've just pulled out teh card with my 2600 score on it, and taken a photo for you.

This was shot in late November, when I bought my FWB benchrest rifle. It was shot indoors at St Marys, with the range at 50m.

Looking at it now, there's a couple of dubious 100's in there. I'm sure you'll also be able to find them. Like I said, I didn't have a gauge with me to accurately score it.

What I've found to be the problem in the St Marys range is the wind. I'd love to place some flags down range in there to see what the wind is doing, as they're sucking in air from outside, and blowing it downrange, so you get air bouncing off the walls and everything... quite unpredictable!

- bec
SnipeWench
.17 HMR

Post by SnipeWench »

Here's probably my best 5-shot prone target to date. I think it may have also been my first 50pts target too. That's 5 shots into a 3-hole cloverleaf at 50m!

It was shot at Sutherland in late April (I'd only started shooting prone with my Annie prone free rifle in late Feb).

This target has the same X, 10, and 9-ring sizes as the TRA benchrest card, but is not shot using a scope, stand, and bag, but peep sights, a jacket, and pure skill and concentration.

Not bad for a noob, eh!
native hunter
.270 Winchester

Post by native hunter »

Snipe-Still a good target none the less,just a rough eye has it at 2125.??
Still better than I can do.!! :lol:
You seem to be a natural in the rimfire shooting fraternity.!!
Native
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester

Post by chris.tyne »

Bec that is a good target and it is hard to tell but there maybe 6 or so 100's that could possibly be scored as 50's,having said that they may very well be correct as 100's hard to tell.When scoring the BR30 target the shots should not be plugged and should be looked at under magnification and if the shot breaks through the line then the lower value should be scored.
Some are of the opinion that it is a bugger of a target to score and I would agree with them..............................seen many a dispute over this target.
Bec if you want unpredictable then shoot this baby outdoors :D .............fruuustuuratting is not the word,Tony the BR50 target is shot occasionaly at our range and I have seem a minus score on some targets when shot over a switchy breeze.
And that target shot using aperture sights is a beauty,I have seen many,many groups shot using custom class rifles that were not that good.

Regards Chris.
Aussie_bob
Favourite Cartridge: 30BR

Post by Aussie_bob »

My best score on a BR30 target is 2150 for my silver not long after that we stopped shooting it as they were putting all results in together both indoor and outdoor so out door shooters didnt get a look in.We changed over to RBA but now shoot IRB tho i do still travell each year to the RBA nationals to make up the numbers and have a chat to all the regulars.
Two of us will be coming down from Mackay his year to shoot in Brisbane see if i cant be a little more patient and take my time picking conditions.